Not enough calories?!

I've only been on here for a few days but have been doing this for a few weeks...

Basically, I'd not been keeping track of my daily calorie intake, before I joined this website - and it turns out that I'm having only 600-800 cals a day, which is ridiculously low.

I've been having lots of healthy snacks to try and bump up my calorie intake, but it still seems to linger below 1,200 - which is my daily goal and I'd like to reach that.

If anybody could offer any healthy snack ideas, which might help bump up my daily calorie intake, it'd be much appreciated! :-)

Thanks in advance! x

Replies

• Nuts are high in calories and great for you health wise. I really like fruit as well but they are high in sugar. Then oats is also really good. Try drinking milk or eating some cheese as a snack. Also boiled eggs! :)
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,226 Member
    food adventure or exploration could add more calories(or even exceed your daily needs). do you have a favorite healthy food then go for it
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    The snacks you eat should be based on the macros you need.

Look at your fiber, protein, fat, carbs, and sugar for the day. Then decide what you are lacking the most. Go for a snack high in that item.

I could list food items for you.....or you could decide what macros you need and Google "high protein snacks" or "high fiber snacks".
  • Nuts.

25g of walnuts (basically a small handful) come in at 176 calories.

It's been reported on the BBC website over the past few days that a study found significant health benefits in eating small amounts of nuts daily, though I can't vouch for the science ...

[Edit] - here's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25026705
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Get rid of any low fat or calorie wise foods. Switch to full fat, calorie & nutrition dense foods like Almonds & nuts, nut butter and a piece of fruit or some celery, milk products, greek yogurt, cheese, icecream. You don't have to deny yourself anything to lose weight, just enjoy what you would normally enjoy in moderation!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Any type of Nuts... Peanuts, cashews, almonds, will do for a good healthy snack that gets the calories up. Even a handful of them will help boost the calories where they should be and are a good source of protein too. You could also try having a protein shake after a workout, but that can get costly.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Ditto the nuts. Avocados are great too. Cheese. Mmmm...cheese.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    If you make your diary public so we could see what sorts of things you're already eating, it would be easier to offer advice. :smile:

But I will echo what others have already said - nuts, nut butters, avocados, use olive and coconut oils in dressings and cooking, full fat yogurt, cheese, etc.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    I agree with all of the food suggestions, but also wanted to ask if you are weighing/measuring your food and logging everything. It's very easy to underestimate your portions by just eyeballing (and measuring cups/spoons aren't as accurate at food scales) so make sure what you are logging is as accurate as possible, and then add food if you need to.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Slice up some cheese and have it with an apple, or as a treat make a smoothie with some low fat frozen yogurt , a bit of milk and whatever fruit you like. Peanut butter is my go-to when I want to up my calories with something half decent. You could also simply increase your servings of foods you're already eating, that is have say 1 1/2 servings instead of 1.

Good luck.
  • Claire_MG
    Claire_MG Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for all of the current answers - very helpful :-)

I don't have any nuts and such in my cupboards at the moment, so I'll go and pick some up tomorrow! It turns out that I'm lacking in carbs according to my food diary, so I've planned to change things according to that :-)

I'm new with this page so I'm not 100% sure how to do all of this yet - thanks for everyone's help so far! :-)