Chicken question!

Options
So I've been meaning to cook these chicken breast for a week now and just kept forgetting and forgetting they have been in my fridge for a week now! Are they still good or do you think they have gone bad by now?

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Do they have a use by date? If not, after a week I'd err on the side of caution and say no!
  • alhumphreys
    alhumphreys Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yea I would definitely toss that chicken !!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Seven days is food industry standard for refrigerated fresh foods, and it's a fairly paranoid standard at that.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I go more by smell thanby date.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one cause I've heard chicken can go bad pretty quickly - even cooked chicken is supposed to be eaten in a couple of days. You might want to pitch to be on the safe side.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    It depends. That chicken might have sat for a week already at the grocery store. If it was frozen when it got to your fridge, eat it. If not, toss it!
  • cwatts0
    cwatts0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It depends. That chicken might have sat for a week already at the grocery store. If it was frozen when it got to your fridge, eat it. If not, toss it!

This sounds about right to me.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I go more by smell thanby date.

Chicken smells funky even after a few hours in the fridge.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html says 1-2 days. I always say it's good until the day after the "best by" date and I've never personally had issues...but that's obviously completely anecdotal.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Trust your nose, fresh chicken has very little odour. If it smells sweet - bin it.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Trust your nose, fresh chicken has very little odour. If it smells sweet - bin it.
    Sweet is the last word I'd use to describe chicken on the turn. Whiffy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Cook it to 165 should be ok unless it smells sour
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I was hospitalised from chicken. Bin that bird! So not fun getting sick from it.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    If they are off your nose will tell you, otherwise ensure they are cooked properly and they will be fine!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If they are off your nose will tell you, otherwise ensure they are cooked properly and they will be fine!

So then why couldn't I tell it was bad? I am not sure if it was from the three restaurants I ate at that week or the couple of times at home. I was pregnant though so it's more likely to happen then. Nothing tasted off.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't toss it. Wash it, cook it up, and make friends with a neighbors dog.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If it was previously frozen, chuck it! Otherwise look at the sell by date, if its more than a couple of days after the sell by date be cautious. If it smells strange then its probably wise not to risk it.

If you still want to eat it then make sure its cooked very, very well :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The nose knows.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I was under the impression that bacteria cant grow in temperatures below 40F. I have aged steaks in my 36F fridge for weeks. Never got me sick.