Working out on am empty stomach. Good idea or no?

Options
I've been wondering this question for sometime now.

I workout at 5 in the morning. I literally get up, put on my gym clothes, have a glass of water, and head out the door to the gym. I don't seem to have any problems with my energy level or feeling too hungry to be able to workout. I make it through a tough workout most days and come home an hour and a half later and have my breakfast.
Does anyone have any insight in why working out on an empty stomach is a good idea or a bad idea?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's 100% fine as long as you don't get lightheaded or anything during/immediately after your workout.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I can't do it because I get dizzy, feel sick to my stomach and want to pass out. If it doesn't bother you or hinder your workout I think its totally fine.
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    totally depends on you....

I find I can't run/workout when I have an empty stomach but also cant run/workout right after a meal.

Do what your body is comfortable with

:drinker: cheers to you for being able to get up that early in the morning!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Not a problem at all. I've run up to 20 miles on an empty stomach and often workout as soon as I wake doing strength training.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    On a Saturday morning I drink a cup of tea and head straight out for the start of my yoga class one hour later. For yoga, I find it is best to do this on an empty stomach as there is a lot of twisting and releasing of the internal organs and core muscles.

I eat a light meal soon after.

Similarly, I make sure my last meal was three hours before my Wednesday yoga class and any yoga work I do at home and prefer to eat a light meal soon after.

When I do my bodyweight sessions, it isn't so crucial and can train soon after eating and seems to help with available energy.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana or boiled egg prior to working out in the morning. If you're not feeling light headed I'm sure it's fine either way. You'll want to be sure to eat right after you work out to replenish yourself.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I can't do it because I get dizzy, feel sick to my stomach and want to pass out. If it doesn't bother you or hinder your workout I think its totally fine.

same for me. I usually have a banana and hour beforehand at the very least.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    What about the opposite? I tend to work out and NOT eat immediately after. Exercising curbs my appetite. Am I hurting myself if I don't replenish myself with calories?
  • Meg289
    Options
    Thank y'all for your feed back!! It makes me feel better to know that it's not going to hinder my progress. With that said, I have a follow up question, Will I burn more since there is no reserve to use instead?
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    @jaycie: I would say no, so long as you are meeting around your calorie target and macros (proteins, carbs and fats) for the day and you are not feeling dizzy or sick doing it.

@Meg: you won't burn more as it will still come from your existing fats and blood sugars and glycogen stores in the muscles, and be replenished when you next eat.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Please stay hydrated during your workout and listen to you body. :)

My daily workouts start at 6:00 am.
    Prior to start all I have is a BCAA tonic with a couple GTE caps. May be my imagination, but I notice quicker fatigue without them.

Then my breakfast feast follows 2-3 hours later.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Heres my .02cents. I run every morning for 60 minutes before eating anything. I sometimes go until 8-10pm before i eat my first meal. It is a very large meal (1000+ calories) I also eat about two servings of cereal before bed (500 calories) I sleep like a baby and I wake up feeling great and ready for my morning 60 minute run. Sometimes I may have a very small high protein lunch if i feel dragging, but i almost never feel hungry during the day. I suppose I have trained my body to this routine, but i love eating one large dinner versus a bunch of small meals that always leave me feeling hungry.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Good idea.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am up and out the door at 4:15 am. Usually run 3 or 4 miles of late interspersed with running intervals. I never eat before running in the morning. Causes me no issues at all. As long as you do not get light-headed, I cannot see that there is an issue.

There is essentially no evidence that not eating just before you exercise makes any difference in how much you do or do not burn. If you are comfortable not eating before, then do that. In the long run it just doesn't make any difference.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all for your feed back!! It makes me feel better to know that it's not going to hinder my progress. With that said, I have a follow up question, Will I burn more since there is no reserve to use instead?

no. it's not like if you ate right before you would body would be using those calories either because foods aren't broken down into energy until it's digested and digestion takes longer than 1 hour
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this question for sometime now.

I workout at 5 in the morning. I literally get up, put on my gym clothes, have a glass of water, and head out the door to the gym. I don't seem to have any problems with my energy level or feeling too hungry to be able to workout. I make it through a tough workout most days and come home an hour and a half later and have my breakfast.
    Does anyone have any insight in why working out on an empty stomach is a good idea or a bad idea?

Thank you in advance!

It is really up to you. I'm also up very early, either 4am for the gym or 4:30 on run days. For me personally I eat a couple slices of whole wheat toast prior to working out or running because that works for me. I think as long as you feel fine and as someone else said, you aren't getting dizzy or lightheaded then continue on :happy: