Frustrated

Options
I seriously do not know what the deal is with me. I eat the appropriate amount of calories (even with the exercise I do), drink plenty of water, I work out for 45 minutes 5 days a week and allow at least 2 days of rest and the scale does not move. I've read articles and researched and I have done so for years. I guess I am slightly obsessed and I do realize that. I just want to get my weight down so my BMI is more in the middle of the healthy range. Some call this a plateau but this "plateau" has lasted quite some time and it's frustrating the heck out of me.

Is anyone else in the same boat or have gone through this? What did you do differently to sort of jump start your body again? I honestly don't think I can read another article telling me things that I'm already doing. I need a person who's been there offer some suggestions/guidance.

Thanks for letting me rant, gives my husband's ears a break:wink:

Replies

• ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way. For over a year I had been on what everyone called a "plateau". I hadn't budged in weight no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. I finally went to the doctor and found out that I had a hypoactive thyroid. I'm being treated for it now, and I've started losing weight again! I highly recomend talking to your doctor if you're stuck.

Before you see a doctor, though, have you tried "shocking" your system? Take a day or two to eat whatever you want (within reason). When you go back to eating well and exercising like regular, you may hve given your body the little jolt it needs. This seems to work well for my mom and sister!

Good luck!!!!!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Have you tried zig zagging your cals?
  • mandilh07
    Options
    I actually read an article (in my million freaking searches) about Hypoactive Thyroid and I happen to have a Dr's appointment this week so I'm going to talk to her about it.

I've tried jolting my system like that a few times and the outcome is guilt without the weightloss. It's just so frustrating to know you're doing everything you can and have no outcome. Yes I am being healthy by working out and eating right which is fantastic don't get me wrong, but given the fact that obesity runs on both sides of my family scares me so if I could just get my weight down to the middle of my healthy range I would be completely satisfied.

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there, sometimes I feel like I am.
  • mandilh07
    Options
    Yes ashlee954 I have tried that too, I think I've tried everything except weightloss supplements which I refuse to take.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought it may be something beyond your control? I have struggled for years, finally had blood work done and was diagnosed with hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue and severe hormone imbalances. Once I started to get these things under control, it's been easier and more successful at the weight loss. Not to mention I have way more energy, skin looks better, and overall I'm healthier. Sometimes looking outside of the box can send you in a different direction. I started my path with a chiropractor and now am monitored by a nurse practitioner. My dr basically told me "you're getting older, that's what happens". I didn't take that as an answer and was so happy I didn't.
  • mandilh07
    Options
    @mlb929:
    So when you're doctor just told you, you were getting older and that's what happens, what made you decide to have blood work done to figure out all that information?
  • pfwalker
    Options
    I changed my profile to show not only calories, carbs, protein and fat, but also fiber and sugar intake as well. I have a hypoactive thyroid as well, so I bumped my daily fiber intake to 35. For the past two months I have really focused on keeping the fat at about half of the recommended amount, the sugar as close to 0 as possible and bump up the fiber. This does cause me to go over on my protein, but it's working. I have been losing about 1-2 pounds per week. And I found that not logging in my exercise works better for me because I don't want to see that I can actually eat more just because I got on the treadmill for an hour. So, what has worked for me is really watching my fat and sugar intake and getting more fiber and at the end of the day I am only consuming about 800 calories. Also, I plan my meals ahead of time and put all meals in the tracking system first thing in the morning. In the beginning I was eating and then putting in what I ate, only to find out a lot of times that what I had may not have had a lot of calories and fat, but was full of sugar, like some of the yogart that I was eating.