What do i say?

Options
Im sure im not the only one with this problem but I have people around me at work, family, friends telling me not to loose any more weight, I really don't know what to say to them!

Ive extended my goal because I still have fat on my body (stomach), but they don't see what else im doing apart from cutting calories! I work out 5 times a week and lift weights to tone as well.

I don't know how to make them understand im doing this for me and im so much happier, and I haven't got an eating disorder!

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Simply don't disclose your goals with them. It's none of their business anyways and especially if they aren't going to support you. Personally when I get comments on how I eat and workout and they ask me why do it because I "already look good" I simply tell them ib do it so I don't look like them.

comments always seen to come from unfit, heavier people.
    Funny how no one dares telling me these things anymore lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't say anything... Don't talk about losing weight and then people can't tell you you don't need to lose any more....

If people still randomly say stuff, when they say 'you don't need to lose any more weight' just say, 'awww, thanks'.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm one of those people who annoy you. If my teen daughter was aiming for 120 lbs. at 5'7" and had 'get fit or die trying' on anything, I'd be intervening, too. Everyone, 100%, has body fat over their organs. You can't diet it off. You look terrific and aren't seeing yourself accurately, in my opinion.
  • EllennD
    EllennD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Simply don't disclose your goals with them. It's none of their business anyways and especially if they aren't going to support you. Personally when I get comments on how I eat and workout and they ask me why do it because I "already look good" I simply tell them ib do it so I don't look like them.

comments always seen to come from unfit, heavier people.
    Funny how no one dares telling me these things anymore lol

This made me laugh such a good idea, and your not wrong it people who aren't motivated to do the same!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm one of those people who annoy you. If my teen daughter was aiming for 120 lbs. at 5'7" and had 'get fit or die trying' on anything, I'd be intervening, too. Everyone, 100%, has body fat over their organs. You can't diet it off. You look terrific and aren't seeing yourself accurately, in my opinion.
    My first thought, as well, was that 5'7" 120 was pretty low.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yeah, I take back what I said... 120 at 5ft7 is low... If you aren't happy with your body at 130, losing another 10lb won't help... You need to look at some recomp.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Yeah, I take back what I said... 120 at 5ft7 is low... If you aren't happy with your body at 130, losing another 10lb won't help... You need to look at some recomp.

Gonna second that. While its true that your goal is yours and yours only, 5'7 @ with 120lbs is quite low.

I weight that at 5'2 and couldn't imagine weighting the same at 5'7

@OP, is it because you aren't satisfied with the way your body looks? Cause between that and needing to lose weight there isa great difference
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Im sure im not the only one with this problem but I have people around me at work, family, friends telling me not to loose any more weight, I really don't know what to say to them!

Ive extended my goal because I still have fat on my body (stomach), but they don't see what else im doing apart from cutting calories! I work out 5 times a week and lift weights to tone as well.

I don't know how to make them understand im doing this for me and im so much happier, and I haven't got an eating disorder!
    I tell them I look good in clothes..now I am trying to look good naked...haha..that shuts them up! :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can lower you BF without losing more weight. Getting thinner isn't always the answer.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When people asked me if I was still losing weight, or told me I didn't need to lose more, I told them honestly - nope, not losing weight, but I am trying to lower my body fat percentage a bit. Usually shuts them up because they don't know what to do with that. :tongue:
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I lie and promise Im done. I've been saying that since the first 14lbs. Ive lost just under 20lbs more since then.

People said I looked too thin whilst I was still in the overweight BMI and 1.5 stone off goal weight! I just say that to get them off my back.

Now Im at a very slight deficit. Like 1-200 a day, no longer checking scales. But I know I'm losing.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    that is low for 5"7... but if you are unhappy and want to work on something.. try lifting? or maybe you do already? my weight has stayed the same but with awesome results and inches lost from lifting heavy.. just a though ;)

I started weighted squats about two months ago.. and the difference i have seen in my core muscles and legs is CRAZY. ;)

good luck