Pam Spray

Options
I have Pam Olive Oil spray. It says zero calories for a second spray--or something like that. Does this have calories if sprayed longer?

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about that too but my theory of it is something like if I drink a can of diet coke which has 0 calories and then drink another one right afterwards it's still 0 calories. I may be wrong about this in regards to cooking spray but it doesn't really make sense to me that the calories would build upon themselves if it starts at 0. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there is some amount of calories to it there has to be it's made with oil. However, I think the amount is so negligible that it's not worth worrying about unless you let it pool or something.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    its oil, it has the same calories as any other oil...like 35-40 a tsp...the reason each spray has 0 is each spray is less than the necessary amount of calories to require labeling, thus they can list it as calorie free...

its the same as that i cant believe its not butter spray...0 cals a spray but the bottle has like 500 or something
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    It is an oil, and definitely contains calories. The FDA says that anything with less than five calories can be listed as zero, so a one second spray puts out less than five calories, but definitely not 0. So if a one second spray put out, say 4 calories, then a ten-second spray could be 40 calories (or ten one-second sprays in a row in the same pan).

Edit to fix typo
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes it has a small amount of calories. Anything under a negligible amount of calories per serving size can be labeled as 0 calories, but obviously there are some calories there that add up to a very small amount. I log cooking spray as 7 calories per one second spray, and I spray for 3+ seconds so I log it as around 21 calories. My can lists a serving size as 1/3rd second spray, which is pretty much a very quick spritz, so that it can list 0 calories to sound more appealing. It's not a big deal unless you spray your pan liberally at each meal. On the weekends I can easily use cooking spray for 2-3 meals, spray for 3+ seconds each time, which would be up to 63+ unaccounted calories if I didn't log them. It's not that bad but I have a very small deficit since I'm close to my goal and that is a considerable dent in it... so I try to log those calories.

Article that explains "0 calorie" cooking sprays in more detail: http://www.eatouteatwell.com/if-cooking-spray-is-made-with-oil-how-can-it-be-calorie-free/
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long you spray but yes...it has calories.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't count the seconds that the spray last and I don't log the calories either.
  • sarkazm
    sarkazm Posts: 104
    Options
    0*5=0...that's how I see it!
  • sarkazm
    sarkazm Posts: 104
    Options
    Depends on how long you spray but yes...it has calories.

Pretty sure that's wrong.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would not stress out about cooking spray. It just leads to a lot of hassle and stress that cant accurately be measured. Then again, you also shouldn't stress out of you go "over" by a few calories a day, but people do.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It has calories and fat....maybe I'm just thinking the olive oil spray. Hmmmm...
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Calories in Pam Cooking Spray Olive Oil

Nutrition Facts
    Pam - Cooking Spray - Olive Oil
    Servings:
    Calories 7 Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Another report:
    Read more: Calories in PAM - Olive Oil Spray | Nutrition and Health Facts http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-pam-olive-oil-spray-i319020#ixzz2mHh4xO6K

Wondering how many calories are in Olive Oil Spray?
    Manufactured by PAM
    User modified food.

Calories
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 second spray (4 g)
    Per Serving % Daily Value*
    Calories 5
    Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0.0g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0.0g 0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Carbohydrates 0.0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
    Sugars 0.0g
    Protein 0.0g
    Vitamin A 0% · Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% · Iron 0%
  • nuday813
    nuday813 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump:happy:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How long are you really spraying and how often are you using it? I do encourage accurate logging, but I think unless you are going through an 1/8th of the can each use....this might fall into the "overthinking it" category.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Ever read the ingredient list on those sprays? The words "chemical s$1t storm" come to mind. You can buy a spray bottle, fill it with olive oil, and use that for a much healthier and also low cal alternative. Or buy a decent nonstick pan. Or put a little olive oil in the pan then use a paper towel to just leave a thin layer.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Ever read the ingredient list on those sprays? The words "chemical s$1t storm" come to mind. You can buy a spray bottle, fill it with olive oil, and use that for a much healthier and also low cal alternative. Or buy a decent nonstick pan. Or put a little olive oil in the pan then use a paper towel to just leave a thin layer.

Oooo you just made this post fun!
  • jerbsod
    Options
    either it's olive oil and has fat and stuff in it , OR, it's something entirely different that looks greasy and is not ... I 'd stay away from that stuff, just sayin.. :p
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options

That is the reason I avoid them. I like the idea of just putting the oil in a spray bottle. Why did I never think of this!!??
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    If you're into putting oil in a sprayer, there's one called Misto that I ADORE.

On topic, I don't bother logging Pam but I seriously barely spritz it in the pan -- a most it's seven calories two or three times a week, and worrying about that leads to insanity (for me, anyway).
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's pure oil, of course it has calories, it is the most calorie dense food on the planet.

They get away with saying that it is low in calories by making the serving size incredibly small.