Help me with a basic strength training program!

Hey yall!
Ive been that type of person who would do mostly cardio to lose weight and to fully tone my body. Once or twice a week I would do strength training but I was never really consistent or had a legitimate plan. Ive lost 16 lbs but I physically do not see much of huge difference. I feel that I need to change my routine and do more strength training and less cardio to see physical changes in my body.
Someone help me with a strength program please and add me so I can ask for more help!

Thank you <3

Replies

• Accuclean
    Accuclean Posts: 3 Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/
    Go to this site and do a search for workouts. You should change up your routine at least every 3 months to trick the body
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    For starters...if you are going to do strength training you need to focus on form. I'm going to say that's probably the most important factor to consider.

Going further than that....you are probably going to want to do a full body routine 3 days a week.

Monday --- Routine 1
    Tuesday ---- Rest
    Wednesday --- Routine 2
    Thursday --- Rest
    Friday --- Routine 3
    Saturday --- Rest
    Sunday ---- Rest

You can do cardio whatever days you feel like doing it. I would recommend 30 minute cardio sessions 5 days a week (2 & 1/2 hours per week).

I love HIIT (High intensity interval training) but let's get back to strength training. I'm sure you have the cardio down.

As far as the actual exercises....you need to figure out what your capabilities are. However, you should be doing at least one exercise per muscle group.

Chest
    Back
    Biceps
    Quads
    Legs

I'm sure you know what the major muscle groups are.

I would recommend starting with the machines....and then moving to a free weight/machine combination. You can look up all kinds of exercises online for the specific muscle groups.

Do exercises you are comfortable doing, learn proper form, and when you are ready increase the weight. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.

www.bodybuilding.com is an excellent site to start out with. They have videos on form and a great forum for advice.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Two programs that come highly recommended and I've seen pals here have a lot of success with (especially those who are just starting out with a strength/weights program) are Stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Hit your local library & check out a New Rules - lots of good info there. And Google Stronglifts for more info on that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'd recommend Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Stronglifts if you have access to a gym.

If you don't have access to a gym, You Are Your Own Gym is a good body weight program.

As a beginner I would not recommend trying to write your own program.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Bump
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I'd recommend Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Stronglifts if you have access to a gym.

If you don't have access to a gym, You Are Your Own Gym is a good body weight program.

Quoting for emphasis
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member

Thanks for posting this, I've read it before but always good to go back and read again.
  • hwoeltjen
    There is nothing wrong with writing your own program.

However, as I said before...don't run into it head on without doing some research or better yet getting a trainer.

Compound movements are going to be your best bet. Isolation movements are probably something you want to concentrate on after you have some experience under your belt.

People are going to come at you from all angles on this.

Your best bet is www.bodybuilding.com. Learn as much as you can.

Start light and get your form down.

Understand the safety risks involved and don't snap some **** up.
  • janelle615
    janelle615 Posts: 50 Member
    I guess its just a matter of research! I mean I have done some basic exercise like dead lifts, barbell squats, bicep curl etc. I just never really had a legitimate consistent program! Also I want to know if its better to do compound exercises a day or just focus one day one like upper body and then the next day lower body etc. How many exercises would you recommend per muscle group?
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member

^This
  • hwoeltjen
    This is just my opinion. You are probably going to get many others.

Stick to compound movements.

The splits works for experienced lifters. I would seriously recommend full body routines for you.

To be honest....it would take a little more information from you to lay out a real program for you to follow. You aren't going to get an effective plan from this forum. Just my opinion.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Stronglifts, Starting Strength, NROL4W are all great programs. Currently I've been in love with Nia Shanks' programs. Check out her blog "Lift LIke a Girl." They are simple, effective, with little fluff.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    BUMP
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member

^^ I second this suggestion. Great beginner strength routine. I started with the nerdfitness routine and altered it slightly to suit my needs and physical limitations (no lunges for me due to knee problems). I am very happy with my results!