My body hates me. Sigh

Options
I'm 20 and I don't remember a time my weight wasn't a problem for me. Looking at me people don't really think I need to lose weight. However that's just because I'm tall.(5'11, I'm a size 12 but weigh 225) I see my gut and I feel my thighs rubbing against each other and I'm frustrated. I've been dieting, working out and trying to eat right for years.

I played volleyball in high-school and even made captain, but never lost a pound.

3 weeks ago I started Zumba. I try to go anywhere from 3-5 times a week now and thought I was finally making progress slowly. I was down 8.8 pounds. Then I came back from Thanksgiving to find out I had gain 5lbs back. I did my best to eat healthily.

For years I've tried everything I could possibly think off to lose weight, I even count my calories with measuring cups and nothing works. I've even gone to the doctor to see if there was something wrong. No I'm just incapable of losing weight. I don't know what to do and I feel trapped in a body that will not work with me.

I'm trying to lose at least 60+ before May of 2014. I'm the maid of honor at my cousins wedding only problem the dress long goes to a size 8. Everyone else fits and loves the dress. I love the dress. I just can't squeeze myself into it.

Help?

Replies

• IdsFknTaken
    Options
    Counting calories with a digital scale really does work. What are your calorie/macro goals? Do you stick to them? Exercise is great but it is all about calories in - calories out.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Losing that much weight in that amount of time is highly unlikely. It can be done, but it will be really rough. I started out at around the same heigh and weight as you. It took me 3 years to finally be under 160 pounds. Even now I don't fit in a size 8.

I suggest you do your best for the next 6 months, lower your expectations and find a new dress to love.
  • albertnico
    Options
    Do not despair, I am sure that your body is on your side.

Once I counted calories: it was quite a waste of time. Instead, I started working out after quitting smoking and, the same way as with my quit, I reprogrammed my brain/taste to LOVE eating clean. I posted online the first of a series of videos on my ideas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2JqVrbbnE.

Where could you start your jorney to your maid of honor goal? My take is knowledge. Have regular theory snacks and look at what actually people do/think in this amazing website and forum.

As an appetiser, you could look into what you are eating and how you are working out to figure out what is going on. For example, your body will do everything in its possibilities to hold on to its fat, if you let it do that. That is because fat is key for its functioning. Carbs are the energy that your body wants to burn before fats, and sugars are the worst type of carbs :).

If you drastically reduce your food intake, ceteris paribus, you will lose a little at the begining. Then your body will try to hold on to the fat as it would go in famine mode. If you push it, over time it will try to consume your muscles instead, thus reducing your metabolism...conterproductive.

I hope this helped a little. I pass the ball to other members :D.
  • fernmeister
    Options
    you could have a medical condition and lots of times tests never pick them up research medical conditions and symptoms that make it hard to lose weight
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and I don't remember a time my weight wasn't a problem for me. Looking at me people don't really think I need to lose weight. However that's just because I'm tall.(5'11, I'm a size 12 but weigh 225) I see my gut and I feel my thighs rubbing against each other and I'm frustrated. I've been dieting, working out and trying to eat right for years.

I played volleyball in high-school and even made captain, but never lost a pound.

3 weeks ago I started Zumba. I try to go anywhere from 3-5 times a week now and thought I was finally making progress slowly. I was down 8.8 pounds. Then I came back from Thanksgiving to find out I had gain 5lbs back. I did my best to eat healthily.

For years I've tried everything I could possibly think off to lose weight, I even count my calories with measuring cups and nothing works. I've even gone to the doctor to see if there was something wrong. No I'm just incapable of losing weight. I don't know what to do and I feel trapped in a body that will not work with me.

I'm trying to lose at least 60+ before May of 2014. I'm the maid of honor at my cousins wedding only problem the dress long goes to a size 8. Everyone else fits and loves the dress. I love the dress. I just can't squeeze myself into it.

Help?

Eating what is perceived as 'the healthier choices', will not necessarily automatically translate to you losing the fat weight you desire to lose. Your food measurements needs to be on point for your caloric target.

You also need to realise that even with fat loss, a thigh gap might not be something you are genetically predisposed to have. Consider investing in some compression workout wear ~ choose the ones which focus on your problem areas. If you follow the MFP caloric plan, you should be able to lose 32lbs before May@2lbs per week ~ the only boulder here is how honest you are with yourself. Eating less responsibly works.

Good luck!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Do not despair, I am sure that your body is on your side.

Once I counted calories: it was quite a waste of time. Instead, I started working out after quitting smoking and, the same way as with my quit, I reprogrammed my brain/taste to LOVE eating clean. I posted online the first of a series of videos on my ideas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2JqVrbbnE.

Where could you start your jorney to your maid of honor goal? My take is knowledge. Have regular theory snacks and look at what actually people do/think in this amazing website and forum.

As an appetiser, you could look into what you are eating and how you are working out to figure out what is going on. For example, your body will do everything in its possibilities to hold on to its fat, if you let it do that. That is because fat is key for its functioning. Carbs are the energy that your body wants to burn before fats, and sugars are the worst type of carbs :).

If you drastically reduce your food intake, ceteris paribus, you will lose a little at the begining. Then your body will try to hold on to the fat as it would go in famine mode. If you push it, over time it will try to consume your muscles instead, thus reducing your metabolism...conterproductive.

I hope this helped a little. I pass the ball to other members :D.

No just NONONONONO

there is so much wrong with this post I don't know where to start

famine mode ???? you have now picked your own name for the ever popular and still oh so wrong starvation mode myth?

If you consume less calories then you burn you lose weight. It doesn't work for people who underestimate their intake and/or overestimate their calorie burns, but for people who are accurate it works, no reprogramming of the brain needed

since we are throwing out links, here are some that I found helpful when I got started:
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode
  • IdsFknTaken
    Options
    you could have a medical condition and lots of times tests never pick them up research medical conditions and symptoms that make it hard to lose weight

Although that is highly unlikely.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, but with exercise and counting calories, you WILL lose weight. I complained about being unable to lose weight for years, but being honest with myself this last month has taught me it was really just me eating too much and not exercising enough. For you, it might be a better goal to get the measurements of the dress, and aim to lose inches instead of pounds. Shows like the Biggest Loser give an unrealistic view on weightloss. It is possible to lose that much weight, but much better to make healthy lifestyle changes and lose it slow and steady. If you replace fat with muscle, the scale might not budge much, but you will definitely lose inches! At the end of the day, nobody will now WHAT you weigh, but they will see how awesome you look in your dress!

I travel for work, and always gain loads of weight from staying in hotels and having to eat out constantly for 3 months at a time. When I got home the 31st of October, I weighed in at 190 pounds, and I'm 5'3". 4 pounds fell off that first few days back, almost assuredly water weight from eating fast food and hours of driving on the 2 week roadtrip I had just completed. I started at 186, and have fought tooth and nail for the 4 pounds I lost this month. My diet still has a LONG way to go, and I go over my calorie limit a lot because I eat what I think I should, then add it after to see how many calories it has. Sure is an eyeopener sometimes. I also don't measure everything exactly, and err on the side of overestimation. I still drink beer and have sweets, probably more than I should, but I'm still losing weight. I'll take real life over 100% clean eating and unsustainable weight loss. I just increased my weight loss goal from 1 pound a week to 2 pounds a week as I add in more exercise, so we'll see how December goes! I am slowly increasing how many miles I walk each day because I have to train for a fitness test for a new career path, and trying to figure out a good lifting program to replace fat with muscle. It stinks that some people can just stop drinking soda and lose 10 pounds, etc, but moaning about it for years hasn't done me any good, and won't do you any good either.

Speaking of soda, if you haven't already, I'd recommend cutting out ALL sugary sweet beverages. You really get no benefit from drinking your calories from sodas and Gatorade, and very few people actually workout hard enough to really need to replace electrolytes with fitness drinks. You will get them from the food you eat already. If you can't live without coffee and won't drink it black, a little sugar or honey is way better than artificial sweeteners, even if they are calorie free. People will probably grumble and moan about that, talking about all the research and how it is safe blah blah blah. I don't care, they taste like cr*p after you've stopped drinking them for awhile, and I find they mess up my taste buds and make me crave salty things like potato chips.

You can do this, and you've given yourself a good long time to work on it, so start now and keep rolling! Feel free to add me if you want an understanding buddy on the journey!

Best of luck!

Rachel
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You've been losing 3 lbs a week? That's great. Don't freak about the scale after a holiday, I was up 10 lbs! It's just water from extra carbs and sodium. Most of it's gone now after sweating it out.

As far as your dress, you absolutely can lose 2 dress sizes in 5 months. Keep watching your calories and exercising. And stop saying your body hates you. You hate your body. Start showing it love and it'll love you back.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    It's abusive to ask you to be a maid of honor and then give you a dress that doesn't fit. No good friend would do that. It's not respectful. Who does that? You look beautiful and are perfect just the way you are. If you want to lose weight that's awesome, do it in a healthy way. Your body loves you it lets you play sport and even be the captain. I don't have great advice on how to lose weight, I am good at helping with other areas so give that. All the best.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I don't think your body hates you, but it does sound like you hate your body! My advice would be to log everything you are eating on MFP for a month, and keep to your calorie goals, and if you are still not losing weight then open your diary and get some advice on it. Most of us underestimate what we eat and overestimate how much energy we are using doing exercise, and that may well be something that is going on.

You can definitely drop two dress sizes between now and May, but as goodnamegone said I think it's appalling that you are being expected to fit into a dress that obviously doesn't fit you. If you lose the weight don't do it for the dress, do it for you, because you are better to approach your weight loss with a long-term view rather than desperately trying to shed weight before a certain date.
  • Thank you so much! I love soda. I don't drink coffee, or beer. My drinks are water, orange juice and sprite. I'll try and cut it out.
  • thank you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No I'm just incapable of losing weight. I don't know what to do and I feel trapped in a body that will not work with me.

I'd like to bring focus to this.

You dont' get another option. The body you have is the one you are stuck with. You literally can do NOTHING but work with the clay you have. Be grateful it's mostly functional. I know 3 people personally who lift and work out regularly that would be considered fairly handicapped. Two of those guys have 1 arm.
    Kevin's right arm is missing from just below this elbow- he was born that way.
    Rob's left arm is missing at the elbow- he dead lifts something stupid like 350 lbs- he has an excellent squat and a respectable bench.
    John's left arm is curled up into a ball and is from all I know completely non functional. He's left leg drags when he walks.
    John works out for 45-60 minutes every other day and works harder than almost any one in the gym.

YOU are the only one who can figure out how to work with what you have. But right now- the issues is not the weight. It's your mind. You have to fix your mentality that what you have sucks and it will never work for you.

There is a beast in there some where- it's fabulous and fierce- and it may or may not look like what you are expecting- but she's in there. This amazonian warrior.

You just need to find her- because it's not a body- it's your brain. And right now- you are probably afraid of failure- so you'd rather not try. And your other little beast is in there keeping your amazonian down. Figure out how to get rid of the negativity beast so you can work with the amazonian one.

Training is a hard- slow long process- it does not happen over night- do not expect instant success- everyone- even OURSELVES- fight change. But you have to push for it- and stop telling yourself you are incapable- and start telling yourself you are just going to do it- you aren't going to try. You are just going to wake up- and start DOING the things you said you wanted to do.

now go forth and be fabulous!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Help?

1. Keep up the exercise! Make it 5 days a week, and if you need some motivation just ask here. People will encourage you.

2. You lost 3.8 lbs over Thanksgiving! Awesome is as awesome does! Good for you!

3. 60+ lbs by May is just barely doable; 48 would be a more realistic goal. However many lbs you lose will be a big plus in your life. Your body WILL love you for it; and I suspect there is someone else out there who will love you for it, too! ;)

4. Log your food intake everyday. Everyday with out fail record exactly what you eat. Knowing what you eat can really help.