December 2013 Cycling Challenge

Options
Welcome to our November Cycling Thread. If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much biking was when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

I am a fairly casual person and, as such, have created a fairly casual thread. There are no rules to how or what you post. My only request is that you be kind. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivate you to get on your bike.

Please know that everyone who posts is welcome and encouraged, whether you’re riding a 100 miler on the weekend or just riding around the neighborhood.

Replies

• PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I didn't quite make 300 miles in November, but I'll try to make that my goal for December. It will very much depend on the weather, but I should have a bunch of extra potential riding days at the end of the month.
  • Kaplat
    Kaplat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread. I would like to join you but am travelling until Dec17th so not the best month to start! I would like to grt back on my bike again and it will be summer when I get home so will see how I go. I have this thread on my list now!
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    We do this every month. So when you're ready to ride, look for us.
  • kikimuffy
    kikimuffy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will join this bike challenge....living in holland biking everywhen is normal so it will motivate me to leave the car at home and use 2 wheels.to get around. My December challenge...300 miles.in December...today i biked to the supermarket..totalled 298 then to go.
    i use runtastic to progress my distance.
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    I've tried various apps and I'm currently using runtastic, too. I like it because it automatically reports to MyFitnessPal and Facebook, plus it gets the elevation right. I was using Sports Tracker and Endomondo and both of those apps have large elevation errors (I would take the dog on a 2 mile walk and "climb" 20,000 feet!)
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike around the neighborhood for a quick half hour workout. I have been doing this regularly and love the scenery from the ground and the changing seasons. I feel like it is MY neighborhood. I know who lives here; who is selling, who is moving in/out; who watches tv in the garage with the door open; who has the cutest yard- the pink house with the seasonally dressed geese and I get to see who wins yard of the month.
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    I regularly see a 10 mile swath of "my" neighborhood between my house and downtown. About half of it goes through what I used to think of as a "bad area" but I've come to see as simply modest housing.
  • Kaplat
    Kaplat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    We do this every month. So when you're ready to ride, look for us.

Thanks, will join you when I can.
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm going to join. Just bought a bike a couple of weeks ago and have started to ride to work when my schedule permits.
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My goal for December is 50 miles. I don't like riding indoors, but I will if I have to for December and January.

12/1 - 0 miles.

MTD - 0 miles.
    Goal - 50 miles.
    Remaining - 50 miles.
  • PaulHalicki
    Options
    12/1 - 27*

Total: 27 miles

* fixed gear rides

On our Sunday night pub crawl rides, sometimes instead of stopping at a pub we go to a store instead to get some beer, then do a "hobo stop" and drink our beer in a park. Often the reason we go to a store is because we're also asking people to buy food to donate to the food bank (as was the case tonight).

This is a view looking at the folks in the shelter and those beyond in the light.
    2120718654529c2ccd5f5578.25469840.jpeg
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    geat to see people still on their bikes on the MFP Cycling thread, keep going everyone......

December already.....

2nd December 16 Miles (commuting)
  • OldDogSparky
    Options
    I'm ready to start another month cycling. Not sure how things will work out this month with the crazy weather patterns, but I'm going to go for 200 miles. I've been able to do that the last couple months, so it seems like a good target. I put in 20 miles last night.

Regarding the apps, I find that Runtastic works pretty well for me.

November_Cycling-186x300.jpg
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options

On our Sunday night pub crawl rides, sometimes instead of stopping at a pub we go to a store instead to get some beer, then do a "hobo stop" and drink our beer in a park. Often the reason we go to a store is because we're also asking people to buy food to donate to the food bank (as was the case tonight).

Very nice!
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    December MTD.....

2nd December 16 Miles (commuting)
    3rd December 16 Miles (commuting)

Total 32
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    How should we track indoors?