Anyone else struggle with rejecting idealized bodies and wan

2»

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    I am in it for me. I can care the least what other people think of the way I look. I think that people are not to be judge by the cover of the book.
    The only way to make it to your goal is to do it for yourself. If you do it to please another, I think you are setting up for failure. Love yourself and remember that those women on the mag covers are loaded up with makeup (tons) and the airbrushing. So they are not perfect too. Have you seen Pamela Anderson without makeup??
    I will say that I would love to turn some heads and look hot at the beach, and when I reach my goal, I will.
    Just remember to do it for yourself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Yikes, you guys. Chill.

Good luck to you Delindy, whatever you do......but I'm not really posting.....nobody saw this. I'm on sabbatical.
  • Delindy
    Delindy Posts: 24 Member

I've even struggled with defining myself as a "feminist" or any other label that in some way limits me.

Defining myself as a feminist never limits! It liberates! Yes...the term has many meanings to many people, but if more people WOULD take on the definition we can get rid of a bad rep.

A feminist is a woman who wants to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression.

Just thought I would give MY (and also bell hooks') definition to clear things up.
  • Delindy
    Delindy Posts: 24 Member
    In general, I think that is is somewhat acceptable to treat fat people, and especially women, as second class citizens.

Oh and...WHAT? Am I reading this wrong?
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    You need to forget media and just go by what is healthy. Like if you start breathing hard putting on your shoes or walking across the house you are out of shape and should probably start some sort of exercise routine. Also you need to make good choices in what you eat. If you are making good choices in what you eat and staying fit, you will probably slim down, and it won't be because society wants you to be thin, but because you are healthy.
  • Delindy,
    I in no way meant to sound as if I was "attacking" you by my previous comment, and seeming unsupportive. I definitely applaude you for wanting to make healthier decisions in your life.

The media is an ugly, ugly monster. I just hate to hear of others letting the media influence their thoughts/emotions/decisions in life. I came across a little harsh. I apologize for that.

"icandoit" said it right...."Do it for yourself. If you do it to please another, I think you are setting yourself up for failure. Love yourself."
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    I think its great that you decided you needed to get healthy and I hate the fact that society thinks that a waif figure is what is healthy, but in my eyes women who are into lifting weights and getting strong are my idols (well who I look to for inspiration). I feel like I need to have a stong muscular build not a skin n bones look. ewww .....