4 Ways to Drink more Water and Boost your Metabolism

Options
People can survive much longer without food than without water. If the body is deprived of water or fluids in general, the liver begins to retain fluids. When the body goes into water retention mode, it does not concentrate on other important bodily functions, including burning calories and burning fat. Your weight will increase because of this and also because of the additional water you are holding.

Therefore, hydration is vital to keep your metabolism working properly. You need to ensure that you are getting enough water each day. There are a number of ways you can achieve this which I have outlined below:

1) CARRY A WATER BOTTLE:- This is a great way to make sure that you have fluid available to you at all times. Take it with you when you are driving, when you are working or wherever else you go and refill it when needed.

2) LIMIT CAFFEINE:- You do not have to give up your morning coffee but try and limit the caffeine you do consume. For example, if you consume a can of coke everyday, maybe try to make it every other day. Caffeine is a diuretic and too much will undo your efforts to stay hydrated.

3) MIX IT UP:- The body needs a certain amount of water each day. However, you do not have to drink pure water all the time. Low sugar fruit juices and green teas are two of the many viable alternatives to get your daily water intake.

4) DRINK FLUID AFTER EXERCISE:- You lose a lot of fluid after rigorous exercise. You need to replace this by drinking a little extra water after your routine.

Water alone will not boost your metabolism. However, keeping hydrated will ensure that your metabolism is functioning correctly. This will maximise the effectiveness of your other metabolism boosting efforts. By mixing water with a good diet and exercise plan, you can realise great results.

Replies

• charmed2570
    Options
    Ya know I drink all my water, but I run out by dinnertime gets around, and I am trying not to drink empty calories, so what is a suggestion for me to drink on those days where I have already drank 8-9 cups of water?I know that it is dangerous to drink to much so that's a concern. Its hard to space them because when I get up in the am I drink 4 cups right away because I am really thirsty- don't know why just am. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump:drinker:
  • vi_msbehavin
    vi_msbehavin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been having a hard time getting all my water down so I tried the crystal light packets. 1 a day at lunch or dinner to get down an extra 16oz. I like the Green Tea Peach Mango.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ya know I drink all my water, but I run out by dinnertime gets around, and I am trying not to drink empty calories, so what is a suggestion for me to drink on those days where I have already drank 8-9 cups of water?I know that it is dangerous to drink to much so that's a concern. Its hard to space them because when I get up in the am I drink 4 cups right away because I am really thirsty- don't know why just am. Thanks for any suggestions.

I drink diet green tea with dinner. You have to drink a LOT to get to dangerous. I did find I was drinking 192 oz a day and that may not have been good but I don't see 12 8oz cups being too bad
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    great tips! i always carry a water bottle in my car when i am out driving around. its amazing how thirsty i can get and its so much better knowing that i am helping myself rather than drinking a soda. also, i put one in the fridge so anytime i want cold water its right there.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options

You have to drink loadsof water in a short amount of time for it to become "dangerous" or deadly.. I say drink water.. Some people drink more water, some people drink less.. Also, fruits and veggies do have a certain water content.. So you're getting fluids there too.. Did you know that Milk is 90% water? I wouldn't worry too much about water.. You sound like you are doing fine, unless you feel like you need to drink more or you are eating a lot of salt hun. Cheers!
  • IngeS18
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! These posts are very motivating =) I am too having a hard time getting all my water, but this will surely help
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was told by a fitness instructor that to lose weight rapidly it helps to cleanse your body. She told me to take my weight and divide it in half and that is how many ounces of water I should be drinking. It sounded like a lot to me at first but it ended up only being 5 watter bottles worth, which is totally doable.
  • Dionne2010
    Options
    Now this has given me something to think about. I know that water is good for u but honestly, I was tapering down on drinking it because I wanted to lose fat when working out and some of this water weight too! i didnt realize not drinking lots of water would keep me from losing water...... I just didnt want my body to retain any more!

Hydrate hydrate hydrate and cardio cardio cardio!!!

Got it,
    Thanks!
  • DanL66712
    Options
    Just want to clear up the fact that tea and coffee DO count towards your daily water intake. The diuretic effect of coffee and tea is very limited and is totally outshone by the fluid you are consuming. While I would not suggest you get all your water from tea and coffee, a cup of two still count towards your daily total!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Keep drinking water. It is zero calories and it takes a LOT of water to be too much. I drink about a gallon and a half a day, spread roughly evenly throughout the day.
  • charmed2570
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, I watch my sodium content very carefully, because it seems to make me retain water, but I will continue onward, drinking my water, and I might try some diet green tea, sounds nice.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options

As long as you are going to the bathroom, you are fine ;) Just don't hold it - that's what is dangerous! 8-9 cups of water is nothing. Don't worry :) I normally go over (though I get lazy about recording it) 8 cups, plus each of my cups is 10 oz instead of 8 oz. Still alive and kicking :bigsmile:
  • lfinley2010
    lfinley2010 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you i needed to read that
  • CapeCodGal
    Options
    Great information. I neevr get all my water in, and only when I started trying, did I realize how little I normally drink. ( 2-3 glasses at most)

Water is definitely one of my challenges.
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I drink mostly green tea during the day.
  • bettylynnee
    Options
    hiya, r u a diabetic? becourse u should not be that thirsty when u wake up, have u been tested for it, if not it may be worth u looking into it, r u up in the night passing fluids, or do u get double vision at night while ur watching tv, do u feel low some times an cant work out y? sorry its just a thought

betty :) xx
  • charmed2570
    Options
    Nope not diabetic and was tested.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Just want to clear up the fact that tea and coffee DO count towards your daily water intake. The diuretic effect of coffee and tea is very limited and is totally outshone by the fluid you are consuming. While I would not suggest you get all your water from tea and coffee, a cup of two still count towards your daily total!

Agreed. Technically, a diuretic is ANY substance or drug that tends to increase the discharge of urine--therefore, even water is a diuretic!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options

Oh that is nice to know! So I am most definitely getting my 64oz a day plus extra :bigsmile: