Looking for Support Going Tee Total

Options
I am now no longer in denial that I have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol, after drinking heavily from the age of 16 I have decided to give up drinking all together. It has not been an easy decision to make. I have previously decided to cut down however this has never worked as after one or two drinks there is no stopping me. On a night out I normally drink 2 or more bottles of wine which leads to black outs and memory loss from parts of the night. I embarrass myself, I do and say things I would never do if I was sober and I put myself into dangerous situations from which I have had many lucky escapes. I understand that I will not always be lucky and one day my drinking will cause serious problems or get me into a dangerous situation where I don't come out ok. Throughout the course of the week I generally have one or two bottles of wine Mon-Thur, then Fri and Sat will be another two. By cutting these out I want to make myself a healthier person, one who remembers what happens on a night out and someone who does not wake up terrified wondering what did I do last night?

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, more than likely it will be very hard, especially at this time of year where there are so many Christmas parties but this is something I have to do for myself.

If anyone can offer any support, advice, tips or help along the way I would love to have a friend who understands. Please feel free to add me as a friend or leave a message.

Thank you for reading.

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a courageous decision to make, and seems like you are really taking control, for that I applaud you :flowerforyou:

I don't have any advice, it will be hard, you might stumble, but as long as you try again you will never fail.

Best wishes and good luck :smile:
  • shreddedadam
    shreddedadam Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am now no longer in denial that I have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol, after drinking heavily from the age of 16 I have decided to give up drinking all together. It has not been an easy decision to make. I have previously decided to cut down however this has never worked as after one or two drinks there is no stopping me. On a night out I normally drink 2 or more bottles of wine which leads to black outs and memory loss from parts of the night. I embarrass myself, I do and say things I would never do if I was sober and I put myself into dangerous situations from which I have had many lucky escapes. I understand that I will not always be lucky and one day my drinking will cause serious problems or get me into a dangerous situation where I don't come out ok. Throughout the course of the week I generally have one or two bottles of wine Mon-Thur, then Fri and Sat will be another two. By cutting these out I want to make myself a healthier person, one who remembers what happens on a night out and someone who does not wake up terrified wondering what did I do last night?

I'm not saying it's going to be easy, more than likely it will be very hard, especially at this time of year where there are so many Christmas parties but this is something I have to do for myself.

If anyone can offer any support, advice, tips or help along the way I would love to have a friend who understands. Please feel free to add me as a friend or leave a message.

Thank you for reading.

You have took the first step which is the HARDEST thing to do trust me. I watch my mum who isn't even aware of how her excessive drinking wine is killing her. I've tried telling her but she is so convinced she only drinks socially when it's 4 bottles a night.

You need to see this as not a BIG thing. Because it isnt. The only struggle you will face are the ones you set in your mind. If you believe you can overcome something easily, it'll happen. I cut smoking and drinking out 3 years ago. Cold turkey. No withdrawels. It's mind over matter. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    good luck!

i bet you will notice a difference on the scales without all the wine calories as well!
  • fudgecube
    fudgecube Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments, I gave up smoking in August and moved onto e-cigs which I have had no issues with at all as I don't feel as though I'm missing anything so that transition was easy. I fear that giving up drinking may not be so easy though. All my friends drink as does my partner and I'm worried about peer pressure.....being 26 and a grown woman this really should not be an issue but I know for some people it can be. My first real test will be my next night out, will I be able to abstain?I really hope so because I'm damaging my body and my relationships with drink and I don't want to do it anymore.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments, I gave up smoking in August and moved onto e-cigs which I have had no issues with at all as I don't feel as though I'm missing anything so that transition was easy. I fear that giving up drinking may not be so easy though. All my friends drink as does my partner and I'm worried about peer pressure.....being 26 and a grown woman this really should not be an issue but I know for some people it can be. My first real test will be my next night out, will I be able to abstain?I really hope so because I'm damaging my body and my relationships with drink and I don't want to do it anymore.

as long as you just stick to your guns, your friends and family will soon get used to it... i know a lot of people are of the mind that you cant have 'fun' if you're not absolutely **** faced, and will try to nag you into drinking alcohol, but proper friends will soon get over it. just dont make a big deal of it, and if anyone says anythign just say 'i'm not drinking tonight' and change the subject.
  • fudgecube
    fudgecube Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My next night out is on Friday, it is one of my friends birthdays and we are having a small get together at the local pub. I am working till 8pm on Friday night so probably won't get there till half past 8 and I am working again at 9am on the Saturday morning so I will probably take my car. This should be an easier night to break me in as I will only be out for a few hours and the fact that I am working the next day will encourage me to stay sober.