Question about Minute Rice precooked whole grain brown rice

Options
Hi there! So on the nutrition facts of the packaging it says that 1/2 as sold, is 150 calories, so that would mean that if I prepared 1 cup I'd get 300 calories ? The reason I'm asking this is because I used to cook 1 cup of brown rice thinking I was getting about 340 calories but then realised that I was actually getting double that amount since 1/2 of uncooked brown rice was 170 calories. So, i'm wondering if there's a difference in calories since it's precooked or something ? I don't want to start preparing one cup and thinking i'm getting 300 cal when i'm actually getting 600...
Thx in advance!

Replies

• Sam5x5
    Options
    I know that, what i'm wondering is if 1/2 cup cal, as sold = 150cal, does that mean that cooking 1 cup = 300 cal.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    This has to be a troll post...

No crap. If you double the amount, the calories double too. It's called mathematics.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Here is the nutrition info: http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/92/BrownRice.aspx

It states the calories both dry and cooked - 1/2 cup dry will = about 2/3 cup cooked and it's 150 calories. So measure it dry and whatever size serving you get that's 150 calories. If you start with 1 cup dry, it will be 300 calories cooked.

Hope that helps.
  • Sam5x5
    Options
    Ok sorry for the confusion, I know it sounded like a dumb question and I should've been more clear. Basically, on the nutrition fact I read that 1/2 AS SOLD (So uncooked I'm guessing?) is 150 cals, but usually when I was getting my rice from other sources, 1/2 cup cooked was 170 cal, so I'm trying to figure out why is it that this brown rice has 150 uncooked when everywhere else it's always around 170 cooked. Thx for replies and again sorry for the confusion
  • Sam5x5
    Options
    Thank you !! I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting double the cals than I thought I was
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Ok sorry for the confusion, I know it sounded like a dumb question and I should've been more clear. Basically, on the nutrition fact I read that 1/2 AS SOLD (So uncooked I'm guessing?) is 150 cals, but usually when I was getting my rice from other sources, 1/2 cup cooked was 170 cal, so I'm trying to figure out why is it that this brown rice has 150 uncooked when everywhere else it's always around 170 cooked. Thx for replies and again sorry for the confusion

That threw me off too, since that brand/kind is less calories than other ones I looked at. But yes, 1 cup uncooked of that brand is 300 calories (I eat this frequently).