Shakeology .. Isagenix .. Body by Vi .. Thoughts please

Options

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    With working both a full time and part time job and a sole support parent I find it challenging getting enough protein in which was why I was thinking their protein shakes would be helpful.. Any suggestions than as to what I could put into a shake for a meal replacement that could have 15-20 grams of protein ?

Why would a shake be a MEAL REPLACEMENT? Why can't you just have it as an actual meal, or better yet, have an actual meal? I've found that cooking a couple eggs and bacon takes about the same amount of time as whipping up a fancy schmancy shake, unless all you do is use powder, water, and a shaker cup which will taste like pure @$$.

I personally find cooking bacon and eggs MUCH longer then blending a shake :/

I also find that shakes are quite tasty.

With that kind of laziness I just don't see how you can succeed.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Pros

Convenient

Cons

Very expensive
    Unnecessary
    Short term solution
    Does not help with knowledge of a sustainable diet
  • Katie5961
    Katie5961 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid Shakeology drinker. Look at the list of ingredients! All natural. No artificial anything, no preservatives. And IMO, it's delicious. Body by Vi is all preservatives and artificial junk. Isagenix I don't know anything about so I can't comment.

No, I'm not just trying to make a sale. I have done a lot of research on this.
  • ness12346
    Options
    I agree with Katie's post above - all natural ingredients, no fake sugars, tastes great in my opinion too. I've been using Shakeology either as a supplement or complete meal replacement for about six months. It's very filling for me, has 18-20g protein depending on the flavor, and has helped curb my sweets cravings tremendously (that alone has saved me tonnes of money haha!). I find it a really great alternative to having a heavy breakfast after an early-morning workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is expensive, but I endorse it. Replaced 1 meal a day for 4 months. Lost 75 pounds while using it and by eating right and with exercise. I credit Shakeology for helping curb cravings for unhealthy alternatives. It is also convenient, and a healthy alternative to what my traditional breakfast was - a bagel with peanut butter and jelly every work day with a can of pop. Shakeology claims to be a protein drink, but really, it is a balance between carbs and protein.

There are those that will scoff at it but I'm a believer.

Now I have moved on, and have since replaced my breakfast with Cellucor protein shake.
    In other words, you cut calories. One could drink Shakeology and not cut calories and weight wouldn't be lost. It still comes down to calorie deficit for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm an avid Shakeology drinker. Look at the list of ingredients! All natural. No artificial anything, no preservatives. And IMO, it's delicious. Body by Vi is all preservatives and artificial junk. Isagenix I don't know anything about so I can't comment.

No, I'm not just trying to make a sale. I have done a lot of research on this.
    If it's all natural, then why is it in powder form? Ingredients aren't "whole" they're extracted meaning it went through processing.
    Apparently your "research" is limited to what you googled. Here's info you may not know about.

It's manufactured by a 3rd party. That will usually entail a processing plant that services hundreds of other supplement distributors. Guaranteed that raw materials for the manufacturing are the cheapest they can get (while passing low inspection expectations) and that regulation on them is not monitored anywhere near what people think. That's why a lot of supplements end up having purity issues and it's not uncommon to have traces of other compounds not listed in them.
    You have no idea what the % of dosage is on any of the ingredients. And dosage matters when use of materials are being claimed.

Again, most people are "sold" on what sales people are telling them that "sounds" logical. But that's their jobs..........to entice you into thinking that other stuff out there isn't even close to what they sell.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I agree with Katie's post above - all natural ingredients, no fake sugars, tastes great in my opinion too. I've been using Shakeology either as a supplement or complete meal replacement for about six months. It's very filling for me, has 18-20g protein depending on the flavor, and has helped curb my sweets cravings tremendously (that alone has saved me tonnes of money haha!). I find it a really great alternative to having a heavy breakfast after an early-morning workout.
    So you intend to use it the rest of your life? If so, kudos. If not, then what? And if you have an answer to that, then why aren't you doing it now?

IDEA Fitness member
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Shakeology tastes like crap, is too expensive, and is the same thing you can get from eating healthy food. Waste of money, IMO.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    With working both a full time and part time job and a sole support parent I find it challenging getting enough protein in which was why I was thinking their protein shakes would be helpful.. Any suggestions than as to what I could put into a shake for a meal replacement that could have 15-20 grams of protein ?

I purchase a big bag of unflavored/unsweetened whey protein power. A 30 gram scoop give 28.5 grams of protein. I add some fruit, right now frozen since it is winter, some liquid, I usually use homemade Kefir, and usually some sweetening, honey or stevia, give it a whirl in the blender, and I have a tasty, nutritious shake with over 40 grams of protein.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    LOL "natural ingredients" in Shakeology. Just because they throw a bunch of random plants into something and use the pseudoscience buzzword "adaptogen" to describe them doesn't mean any of the ingredients in there are actually useful. Especially as it doesn't list how many of each ingredient there is. Also, "processed in a plant that also processes milk, soy, nuts, fish, wheat, and shellfish." In other words, it's cheap factory produced crap that Beachbody sells for about 10 times what it's actually worth.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Pyramid Marketing schemes
  • wfrazjr
    wfrazjr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but know people that have and still do use them. I think they are over price and just use Whey protein myself. Compare the prices on them and go from there.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Beverly International UMP Protein Powder is really good, lasts a long time and is a great supplement to a weight loss program.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Pros

Convenient

Cons

Very expensive
    Unnecessary
    Short term solution
    Does not help with knowledge of a sustainable diet

^^^ This times 10. I found it just as easy to get a Nutribullet (or similar device) put in some good whole foods with some added protein (if that is what you are lacking or feel that you are lacking). Quick and easy and you get real whole food. I add in some oats that I have grounded with the milling blade for extra cals and carbs on the days that I need them. IMO there are better choices for a fraction of the price.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I use Isagenix.. -- Not for the sales hype or whatever else...

I like the way it tastes. The shakes are something I enjoy making and drinking in the morning. I take in about 330 calories with each one of my shakes and about 34 grams of protein... -- I also eat two meals a day in addition to my two shakes.

I don't like breakfast.. I don't like cooking breakfast. I have tried other protein shakes and making my own in the morning and I really just enjoy the simplicity of ordering it online and having it shipped to my house. I have a shake for breakfast and then I have another one around 4 pm before I hit the gym at 6...

I follow the program pretty close and eat fairly clean... For those that aren't on my FL, judge me if you like.
    I train like a beast and work my *kitten* to support my family... So if I choose to use this product, I feel like it is my choice.

I have noticed my complexion is cleaner. For the most part I sleep better and I don't crave a lot of garbage... However, at the time I started using Isagenix, I also started eating cleaner.... So I will not say it is all do to the program. As for the cost, I have paid a lot more for a container of protein that I couldn't choke down than what I pay for something I enjoy.
  • ness12346
    Options
    Sure, why not use it for the rest of my life? It's an incredible supplement. Some people, like me, have a hard time getting in all the right nutrients everyday, not just protein (it doesn't claim to be a protein shake, by the way). This works for me. It's not doing me any harm, and I feel I have benefitted from it. I definitely don't intend to stop anytime soon.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not use it for the rest of my life? It's an incredible supplement. Some people, like me, have a hard time getting in all the right nutrients everyday, not just protein (it doesn't claim to be a protein shake, by the way). This works for me. It's not doing me any harm, and I feel I have benefitted from it. I definitely don't intend to stop anytime soon.
    What about the fact that you could get all the essential nutrition you need from a decent multivitamin at one tenth of the price of Shakeology? I can get a higher quality multivitamin for $25 for a 90 day supply. Compare that to what, $300 for a 90 day supply of Shakeology?
  • Malachai76
    Options
    I have recently cancelled my shakeology order i'd been taking about 4 months, for me it didn't help with cravings i found it worse if anything, i had been considering cancelling for while and just doing whey protein like i used too when i saw an ad saying that bb coaches make 25% off every purchase, i knew they made money but not as much as that and immediately cancelled my order once I've run out i'll go back to whey protein shakes instead
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So when you have kids, it's Shakeology for them too I guess. Can't teach them what you don't know.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    other words, you cut calories. .... It still comes down to calorie deficit for weight loss.

Damn, you must be some kind of freaking genius to figure that out. Why didnt I just come to you first before I started tracking everything I ate, changed my diet, began running, and built up to 70 - 90 miles a week? When all that time, you had the magic solution - calorie deficit. WOW, I feel so enlightened.

Sarcasm aside, Shakeology isnt for everyone. It's a meal replacement shake, and an expensive one at that. You can save $20 per bag by purchasing off ebay instead of going through the bb website and coach. The suggestion that a multivitamin could replace shakeology is ridiculous. Talk to those who replaced 1 meal a day for months, and I would imagine a majority of us would recommend it. At the end of the day, I am down 83 pounds, and have ran 2 marathons. And I dont regret $1 I spent on shakeology.