Always bloated?

Options
Since I lost all the extra weight I'm almost always bloated. I know Caffeine and salt make you bloat, but I've been limiting both of those and I'm still always bloated =( any advise on how to stop bloating? I drink water too but that seems to only make it worse..

Replies

• b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    check sodium levels, dairy etc, eliminate them from your diet when you find out what causes it.
  • neutralmente
    Options
    Unless you want to get a whole bunch of tests run for a lot of money with possibly no answers, maybe try an elimination diet. Remove dairy, wheat, etc.one at a time for a couple weeks each to try and figure out what it might be.
  • kooroe
    kooroe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I feel bloated I increase my water intake and it normally goes away.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I would advise the "elimination" style diet. First increase your water intake for a few weeks and see what happens. Then adjust your fiber intake, are you eating enough insoluble fiber to help "move things along"? After that, try to eliminate one type of food at a time to help discover the root cause. If you remove a particular item and see no change, add it back and remove something else.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I get bloated if I eat alot of starchy stuff like bread, pasta, cake,... things with wheat or flour. As much as I love the stuff, it doesn't love me back.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    As much water as I drink this usually isn't an issue for me, but if I am feeling bloated I will go for a walk. I feel much better afterwards.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Could you just have a higher body fat % than you think/want?

But to your question specifically...
    increase water and potassium. Decrease sodium.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Have you considered a food intolerance? Wheat and dairy are generally the two biggies. But people can also have allergies or intolerances to eggs, nuts or soy.

I am gluten intolerant (wheat and some other grains) and bloating is my number one sign of having accidentally ingested wheat. I look like I'm pregnant (no joke) when I consume wheat.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

How does a higher BF% cause bloating?

But your response to the question is the same as mine. Try eating a banana every day, either with breakfast or with lunch.
  • ciki90
    ciki90 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was always bloated too! Here are some things I did:
    -- no sodas (diet or otherwise)
    -- no Splenda, aspartame, or phenylalanine: that means no gum or most packaged sweet diet foods. I sill regularly use stevia though.
    -- digestive enzymes: I take Encyclomedia's Digest Spectrum. I take them before nearly every meal to reduce bloating, you can get them at Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods around here. They're probably cheaper online!
    -- pro-biotics: Greek yogurt every day! If you can't do dairy though, fermented foods or a probiotic supplement will help.
    -- apple cider vinegar: if I wake up bloated, I take a shot of ACV and it will help the bloat go down by lunch time. I also sometimes drink it at night mixed with hot cinnamon tea (1 tsp ACV added in) to stave off late night munchies.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you. I know how frustrating this can be.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

But your response to the question is the same as mine. Try eating a banana every day, either with breakfast or with lunch.

It doesn't... I'm suggesting that perhaps the OP is fatter than she thinks, that it's not just bloat.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I saw two doctors about my bloating ( a GP and my gyno). both said it could be dairy or gluten. both suggested I start with dairy first. I did. the bloating went away. just one girl's experience. Note: I was never a big gluten eater to begin with so I sort of suspected that wasn't the issue. good luck.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

No I'm 125 pounds, 21% body fat.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I saw two doctors about my bloating ( a GP and my gyno). both said it could be dairy or gluten. both suggested I start with dairy first. I did. the bloating went away. just one girl's experience. Note: I was never a big gluten eater to begin with so I sort of suspected that wasn't the issue. good luck.

Maybe my issue could be gluten. I rarely drink or eat dairy. Thank you
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I was always bloated too! Here are some things I did:
    -- no sodas (diet or otherwise)
    -- no Splenda, aspartame, or phenylalanine: that means no gum or most packaged sweet diet foods. I sill regularly use stevia though.
    -- digestive enzymes: I take Encyclomedia's Digest Spectrum. I take them before nearly every meal to reduce bloating, you can get them at Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods around here. They're probably cheaper online!
    -- pro-biotics: Greek yogurt every day! If you can't do dairy though, fermented foods or a probiotic supplement will help.
    -- apple cider vinegar: if I wake up bloated, I take a shot of ACV and it will help the bloat go down by lunch time. I also sometimes drink it at night mixed with hot cinnamon tea (1 tsp ACV added in) to stave off late night munchies.

Thank you so much for being so helpful! wow no Splenda or gum? that's tough for me. I use splenda in everything. I'm not allowed to have sugar so I'm a Splenda junkie. I will slowly cut it from my diet. Man I just cant win :( lol
    Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you. I know how frustrating this can be.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It doesn't... I'm suggesting that perhaps the OP is fatter than she thinks, that it's not just bloat.

Oh, ok. I can understand how being bloated can make you *feel* fat, but *look* fat? hmmm...
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I may be allergic to wheat, I eat it at every meal. I eat white bread sometimes but wheat is the main part of my diet.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

ok, so? Those are numbers, but what exactly do they mean?

My point was are you completely certain it's bloat? Maybe 125lbs @ 21% BF doesn't look/feel like you thought. Maybe you're actually holding a reasonable amount of water and bloat isn't your problem?
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

My point was are you completely certain it's bloat? Maybe 125lbs @ 21% BF doesn't look/feel like you thought. Maybe you're actually holding a reasonable amount of water and bloat isn't your problem?

I'm not going to say I'm carrying fat anywhere because I'm not. I may be bloated with water weight yeah. I get what you are saying.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I'm not going to say I'm carrying fat anywhere because I'm not. I may be bloated with water weight yeah, but it isn't fat.

ok. I'm curious though... how do you know? Honest question... not trying to argue.