Why don't people think?

Options
After losing 30 pounds, my wardrobe is pretty week, especially heading into fall and winter. My husband spread the word that Ann Taylor/Loft cards would be a great present for my birthday. So what does the family get me? Cash (okay, that's handy), an electronic meat thermometer (had one, didn't need another, but no one asked), and... gift cards to....Olive Garden/Red Lobster and Applebees. Hello! I just LOST 30 pounds and you give me food???? Not to mention the cards are $25 each (From the same person) so I have to scrounge up money to take the family with me. I really try to enjoy the days and make the gifts an after thought, but this really floors me.

L

Replies

• twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    LOL I hope you smiled and said thank-you. Believe me I understand.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    Story of my life... you should see if you can sell those gift cards!
  • LaceK
    LaceK Posts: 1
    Options
    Bummer! Did you know that there are places online though where you can trade gift cards? Can't remember a site name off the top of my head, but if you do a search you should be able to find it! You post what you have to offer and what you want in return, and they match you up and tell you where to mail yours! The processing fee is a few dollars, but it may be worth it to you...it would be cheaper than taking your family to dinner!
  • iamstronger247
    Options
    i don't blame you really.. i would be a little upset as well.. i get that it's the thought that counts and all but you've lost 30lbs congrats BTW so i really can't blame you!!! too bad u couldn't trade it all in for something different =/
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Re-gift the restaurant card this Christmas and use the money you would have spent on them to buy clothes.

I commiserate with you. I had a total fashion crisis over the weekend because all of my dress pants were puffy at the hips and looked stupid.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Family can be clueless. I lost 50, and my Dad still sends me an Olive Garden card every birthday, even though I've told him that 1. Olive Garden is the devil, and 2. the nearest one is an hour away from me! Grrrrr

I just re-gift them to folks I know will like it. I figure it saves me buying a gift for them.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Cardavenue, Plastic Jungle and Swapagift are online places you can either sell or exchange the cards. Might be worth looking into.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,684 Member
    Options
    After losing 30 pounds, my wardrobe is pretty week, especially heading into fall and winter. My husband spread the word that Ann Taylor/Loft cards would be a great present for my birthday. So what does the family get me? Cash (okay, that's handy), an electronic meat thermometer (had one, didn't need another, but no one asked), and... gift cards to....Olive Garden/Red Lobster and Applebees. Hello! I just LOST 30 pounds and you give me food???? Not to mention the cards are $25 each (From the same person) so I have to scrounge up money to take the family with me. I really try to enjoy the days and make the gifts an after thought, but this really floors me.

L
    I've lost about the same amount of weight as you, and my closet is pathetic too. A friend throwing a birthday party for me this weekend. When asked what he should tell people to get me, I suggested gift cards for clothes (JCPenney, Macy's, etc.). He gave me a funny look like that was a strange thing to ask for. It'll be interesting to see what happens Saturday!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    How would you have felt if they got you nothing? Just curious...I'm happy when my family and friends take a few minutes out of their busy schedules to call and wish me a happy birthday...just saying.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    There is a place online that you can trade gift cards for ones you want. There is CardWoo.com/GiftCards and www.swapagift.com among others. I have never tried it but it might be worth trying to get what you want.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Recycle them, give them as gifts to others. I'd also choose your naf gifters gifts with ironic thought. At least then you can say that you DID think, unlike them. Example, Baldy gets a hairbrush. Denture wearer gets a tooth whitening kit...etc. Yep, I can be a right *kitten* if the mood takes and I can see the next bunch of supermarket flowers* I get going into homemade pot pourri pillow made especially for my sister

*Something my tightwad sister has a habit of getting me when she full on knows I HATE cut flowers (think they last longer in soil)

As for no gifts v naf gifts I'll take the no gifts. Getting food gifts for someone on a diet is at best insensitive and at worst sabotage
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    How would you have felt if they got you nothing? Just curious...I'm happy when my family and friends take a few minutes out of their busy schedules to call and wish me a happy birthday...just saying.

I would have been fine with it. Several family members just called or posted on my Facebook wall. I kinda resent your implication that I'm not grateful for the thought. My DH tried to make it easy by telling them specifically what store so that when they took time out of their busy schedule, it would be easier.
  • shintowa
    Options
    I agree, I'm better with no gift than a gift specifically against what I want. I can understand some people's uneasiness when giving gift cards to places, since some people feel it is no better than cash, but in my mind you are giving them something that they want, you just don't know what it is yet. On this note, though, you have to be at least a little accurate. If someone says they need a gift card to a clothing store, either you give that gift, since it is a need, not a want, or if you are really really good at getting people clothing, you get them some directly. Busy schedule be damned, Safeway, for instance, has the gift card area. Chances are they did not get the giftcard at an Olive Garden, they bought it at one of those end caps, and they have lots of clothing stores at mine. (Don't get the wrong impression, I'm thankful for any gift, I just think some people don't think).

My mom pulls the wrong card maneuver all the time. I thank her, and then I re-gift it. Olive Garden, for instance, gives me salt headaches. I'm not going to use it, not even a little.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Sell each gift card for $20. Take the cash to Ann Taylor :)

Charmagne
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I got a restaurant gift card too today. Alot of people don't know how bad eating out really is for you. They think salad, and they think healthy.

Maybe next year ask for a gym membership extension. If they are wiling to fork out $25 for a restaurant card, they can put money on a gym membership for trying to give you food. lol
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,684 Member
    Options

I would have been fine with it. Several family members just called or posted on my Facebook wall. I kinda resent your implication that I'm not grateful for the thought. My DH tried to make it easy by telling them specifically what store so that when they took time out of their busy schedule, it would be easier.
    I don't expect gifts ever, and it's true that it's the thought that counts. I think the point is that thoughtful gifts are even more appreciated.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Totally understand, that sucks. I would laugh in peoples faces if they gave me a food gift card. One year of solid dieting and you give me a restaurant gift card?! Anyway, sorry about that.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a head start on some Christmas Gifts! LOL
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've already got 3 Christmas gifts taken care of!!! & you can use the 75$ you didn't spend on them on yourself :wink:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Remember a couple years ago a bunch of compaies went belly up just after the first of the year? We had given gift cards for some of those companies!! We felt like such idiots! The cards were worthless. How embarassing. Now we give Amazon.com gift cards (e-cards)....you can get most anything via Amazon. They don't expire or have "use" charges, and can be used anywhere. Some people think gift cards are impersonal, but I would much rather have a card than a gift I can't use or can't return.