Microwaving

Options
I'm a college student who's a foodie and loves concocting healthy recipes using plenty of fruits and veggies. I do a lot of dorm room cooking using my microwave. As fall approaches, i've been wanting to make tasty snacks involving fruits and veggies warm and cooked. For example, a snack i like to make right now is a sliced apple or butternut squash sprinkled with cinnamon and microwaved for about 2 minutes.

i know that cooked produce contains less nutrients than the raw version. My question is, exactly how much of the nutrients am i breaking down by microwaving my produce?? is it worth it to even enjoy a nuked apple??

Replies

• foxylady8098
    Options
    By cooking the apple, yeah, you are burning off a bunch of the nutrients; just remember, you still are getting the vitamin C from that which is good for you, especially during this time of year.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on how cooked you like stuff too. I like my veggies kind of firm ... but if you cook them til they're soft and mooshy - I mean I don't know, but it seems like that'd zap more out of them.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I guess i will just eat my apples raw from now on. there was warm apple and peach cobbler in the cafeteria today! it looked sooo tempting, but the collecting pool of butter in the pan turned me off. i decided to make a mock version in my room to satisfy myself.

my butternut squash, however, i think i will continue to nuke. its not very tasty when its raw in my opinion.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'll agree with you there! :laugh: I was thinking more like broccoli and stuff with my firmness thought.

They used to say microwaving was better for preserving nutrients than say, boiling/cooking on the stove. Is that not the opinion anymore?
  • shintowa
    Options
    I'm of the mindset of "it's better than something unhealthy." You loss some of the nutrients no matter how you cook it, some ways worse than others, but be happy with yourself that you are eating healthy at all! No added fats, no added sugar, just some cinnamon (which is good for you) and an apple. Actually, that sounds good, I think I know what I'm about to eat.