Running Tips

Options
So 3 weeks ago , I agreed to run a half marathon in April with a friend. She lives 5+ hours away so we can't train together. I asked for suggestions here and got some amazing ones! I invested in some great running shoes, socks,etc.

I hate the cold weather, so until it warms up, it's me and the treadmill. So far, so good-- except I get sooo bored. I try listening to music which helps a little but what does everyone else do to prevent getting bored. I don't feel this as much when I run outside but it still happens--- so any advice would be great =)

Replies

• fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In it for the advice... because I get bored too! I have been running at the gym so I can watch TV, and I dont turn on the TV in my own house.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I get audio books that helps not sure if your into those
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill just for this reason! Maybe you could break it up and do some of the run outside, and some in?

I have learned that as long as I dress correctly I can handle a lot more cold than I thought I could! I too am a cold hater (and a wimp when it is cold)-just give me 90 degrees, and there is no problem! But really, you can probably do more than you think outside.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I watch action movies. The explosions, fights, and fast pace make my treadmill time fly.

Best movies I've found: Battleship, the Hobbit, Expendibles, etc.
  • sky15425
    sky15425 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I HATE the cold weather too, but I layer up and go outside.
    I save those treadmill runs for days that are under 25 degrees or very windy.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You can try runtastic. Awesome app, I used it for my half marathon and it helped a lot . You can listen to short stories while running or your music. Or try run zombie run, if you are a fan of zombies, it's an interactive app that you play as a game but you have to outrun the zombies to get supplies, survivors, etc
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Headphones in, good music playing.
    TV on with close captions going.

^that's what I do when I use a dreadmill at the gym
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above poster! I cannot run on the treadmill, if I cannot run outside I jump on the bike in the basement and watch some tube! I would run outside as much as possible, not sure how cold it gets there but here in MN I run outside until about -10, whether temp or wind chill. Good luck on your run!!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I listen to music on my iPod and watch either a movie or a show on the tv. I found I can run a half marathon on a treadmill, but usually stick to under 10 miles.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I think another person mentioned it - but what about listening to an audio book online? Talk radio? Stuff like that can sound boring at first but can keep you super entertained.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    change up what you're doing and crosstrain. use the stairs, elliptical, and bike too. I usually find myself getting "tired" around 20-30 mins, but if I switch to another machine I get some energy back.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If possible try to run 1 day per week outside, it will feel different and the treadmill will be a good supplement. I mostly treadmill run, but try to have 1 outside run per week on a hilly and curvy trail. If you have to run outside after only running treadmill, you will get very sore and probably run slower.

I find running on treadmill a good time to clear the mind. Just try to forget about what you are doing and the time will fly. Get a heart rate monitor as well, that will give you something to mess with to also forget about the time.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go outside. You'll feel BA.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I find it a bit crazy, but I can barely run a mile on the treadmill. I get so bored. But I can run 5 miles outside easily and even up to 10 miles before I start to get bored. I've tried watching TV, listening to music....nothing helps on the treadmill. So I keep my treadmill as my interval training and run outside. I can only imagine how it must suck to run in the cold, but my suggestion.... layer up, ear muffs, gloves.... take it to the road!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says to go outside. I use the treadmill for two reasons only: lightning and sub -25 (yes, that is right, sub -25). If you bundle right and layer right, and have the correct gear you should be able to go outside and stay warm easily.

There is a guide on Runner's World that can help you out even more, but here is what I generally do:

Anything above 40, shorts and Technical Tank.
    40 - 30 degrees, shorts with technical tank and sleeves or wickering tee shirt. Shorts exchanged for capri running pants if windy.
    30 - 20 degrees, capri running pants or tights (depending on wind chill), long sleeve base shirt vest, ear covers if windy, finger free mittens.
    20 - 10 degrees, tights, long sleeve base, vest or running jacket (depending on wind chill), ear covers, fingered light weight mittens.
    10 - 0 degrees, tights plus wind breaking pants or sweat pants, long sleeved base layer, fleece running jacket and light weight vest, ear covers or baraclava (depending on wind chill), fingered light weight mittens.
    0 - (-10) degrees, tights plus wind breaking pants or sweat pants, long sleeved base layer, fleece running jacket and wind breaking running vest, baraclava, fingered light weight mittens.
    -10 - (-20) degrees, tights plus swweat pants, long sleeve base layer, fleece running jacket, down filled vest, baraclava (full faced), sunglasses or protective googles, running gloves with hand warmer pockets, foot warmers.

Anything lower than that I am inside on the treadmill.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I play Zombies, Run! while running - treadmill or outdoors. It helps to stave off the boredom and adds a lot of fun to my runs. I also love podcasts (Another Mother Runner is my favorite) and audiobooks. You can get free audiobooks from Librivox.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I will try these suggestions. We get a lot of snow/ice here so even if I could adjust my body to the weather, not sure its safe. But I will give it a good try on days where it's dry and cold.

I will have to try the audio books as well, just the thought of someone reading to me sounds crazy boring, but i have heard its not.

I am glad it's not just me and that its something that others struggle with.

Thanks =)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill for the same reason. The only way I've found to beat the boredom is to do interval training. But I only do that once a week, so honestly the treadmill is so boring I'd rather just deal with the cold.

I'd suggest looking up some HIIT workouts and incorporating them once in a while. I don't think you're supposed to do them every day but it at least breaks up the monotony.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Right now I only run 3 days a week-- so far its interval running--- but the whole time i am running I am just counting down until my next walk ha ha ha. Two days of short runs for speed and one day of a longer run.

And I use the elliptical 3-4 days a week for an hour, lift weights, take zumba and body sculpting classes. I just want to make sure I am prepared to run that distance.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you can try splitting up your running with some leg weight machines. Strength in your legs is just as important as building up yoru running endurance. That is what I do: fifteen minutes running then to the machines and reapeat like three or four times. I get too bored on the treadmills too