3 milers. and muddy runs

Options
what are some averages for 3 miles and for those that do 5k mud runs? Im cracking sub 21mins but cant reach 20...any advice?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The record for a 5K (I believe) is 12 min/something. So, your time is already awesome. Is there a reason you're trying to hit 20?

I participated in an event that had a couple of thousand people. You would have come in second in your age group.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    what are some averages for 3 miles and for those that do 5k mud runs? Im cracking sub 21mins but cant reach 20...any advice?
    Sprint work two days a week... sprint at goal pace for a lap (or a little faster if you can manage it), jog for a half a lap, repeat x8-10.

Don't ignore legs in the weightroom, particularly hamstring exercises if you're doing mud runs.

I don't know what 'average' 5k times are, really. When I ran a few 5ks the winners seemed to come in at 16-18 minutes, depending on who was running. It's really depressing when one of those guys is like 20 years older than you. The fastest I've ever done was 21.5, which isn't really fast, and my buddy I ran with did it in 19 and change. Those were road run times, though.
    Is there a reason you're trying to hit 20?
    Is this a serious question? You're asking someone why they want to improve their performance?

At a minimum:
    1) Because he can 2) Because if you're not improving, your losing

And that doesn't include if he races competitively.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Is this a serious question?

Of course it was a serious question. His reason for trying to hit 20 may change the advice someone gives. Is his goal to become an elite runner? Is it just to improve his performance? Is it to qualify for a specific event? At 21 minutes, he's already in the top tier of runners so the reason is relevant.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Of course it was a serious question. His reason for trying to hit 20 may change the advice someone gives. Is his goal to become an elite runner? Is it just to improve his performance? Is it to qualify for a specific event? At 21 minutes, he's already in the top tier of runners so the reason is relevant.

no it's not.

"because I want to" is reason enough.
  • OCRking
    Options
    It is serious im aiming for 5 min\miles consecutively, i started at 35 mins and cut it to sub 21 but i keep hitting that can cant get 20.

I compete in mud runs and the next race i intend to win and i dont know who im up againts so no time atm is quick enough.

What race did you do?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Wow you could start an argument in a Phone booth
    no it's not.

"because I want to" is reason enough.
  • OCRking
    Options
    Reason for this...become the greatest OCRacer there is.
  • jobegone
    Options
    It is serious im aiming for 5 min\miles consecutively, i started at 35 mins and cut it to sub 21 but i keep hitting that can cant get 20.

I compete in mud runs and the next race i intend to win and i dont know who im up againts so no time atm is quick enough.

What race did you do?

Can I ask how long it took you to get from 35mins to 21??? Roughly???
    Doesn't seem to be getting any easier for me :(
  • pavrg
    Options
    What race did you do?
    I did several road 5ks.

Your question is difficult to answer further since you didn't post your current running routine, which is why I gave the generic 'do sprint work and hamstring curls' answer. If you're already doing that, then the answer is to push yourself harder in your workouts and eat better. Have someone look at your running form and make sure you aren't wasting motion (although this usually doesn't matter much until you break 20 min).
    First, 21 minutes for a 5k isn't elite. I'm 30 and hit that mark with just 5 months of training. I don't know where you get that from, but you're not even 'good' at OPs age until you can maintain a 6 min/mi pace for the duration. 'Elite' is sub 16. The mud part obviously takes a minute or two off there.

Secondly, it doesn't really matter why he wants to. The mechanics of improving running performance don't change if you're doing it for a race or just for personal improvement. It's a ridiculous question, and it's silly of you to tell someone that they shouldn't try to do better because they're already 'elite.'
    Can I ask how long it took you to get from 35mins to 21??? Roughly???
    5 months of running 6 days a week, with leg strength training two of those days (I do a full body routine but that is irrelevant to the running question). Losing 25 lbs also helped.

I didn't start doing sprint work until I was able to run it at maintaining 7 1/2 min/mi, and only did it when I got 'stuck' at a pace.

Also, it doesn't get any easier for me, either. Given the opportunity to get the workout with a kick to the balls or running for 20 minutes, I'll take the kick in the balls. The first 5 minutes of a run is the worst feeling in the world.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The snotty-ness of some of you people is unbelievable. Get over yourselves.

OP...if you are shifting into the serious competativeness of 5Ks and mud runs then I would seriously look into a running coach then. They will help set up routines and stuff and help get you to that next level. Good luck with your races.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    First, 21 minutes for a 5k isn't elite. I'm 30 and hit that mark with just 5 months of training. I don't know where you get that from, but you're not even 'good' at OPs age until you can maintain a 6 min/mi pace for the duration. 'Elite' is sub 16. The mud part obviously takes a minute or two off there.

I give up. I never said he was already elite - I asked if that was his goal. I asked what his goals and reasons were. If he's training for a specific event (ie a deadline) the advice may be different than if he's not in a hurry. I never claimed to be an expert (which is why I didn't offer specific advice). But I thought if he provided some additional information, other more experienced runners could give him better advice. Live and learn - don't try to be helpful on the forums today.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly mileage like? Usually the key to speed is to get a better base.

Honestly, to get myself to a sub-20 5k, I had to run a 3:20 marathon.

However, in the weeks leading up to a PR attempt, I did two speed or stamina runs a week, two easy runs, and a long run. It looked something like

Monday: weight train - arms
    Tuesday - 1 mile warm up, 6x400m @ sub 6min/mile pace w/90 second jogs, 1 mile cool down
    Wed -4 miles
    Thurs - mile repeats: warm up, 4x1600m@6:45 pace w/3min jogs, cool down
    Friday - weight train - legs
    Sat - 13 miles
    Sun - 11 miles (double weekend long runs because I am also doing a long-term ultra training plan)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Assuming you're running 3x or more a week already...

- Make one of the runs 10k or longer
    - Make one of the running sessions sprint/interval/hill work

But as a couple of other posters have covered, without knowing details of what you have already been doing, and what the specific goals are (you need this next week? next month? next year? what is the end goal, say, 3 years from now?) it is difficult to be more specific.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I give up. I never said he was already elite - I asked if that was his goal. I asked what his goals and reasons were. If he's training for a specific event (ie a deadline) the advice may be different than if he's not in a hurry.

There was nothing wrong with your question, and it was in fact on-point.
  • wildirishrose162
    wildirishrose162 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

There are so many variables in this. What ocr are you trying to win? There's a huge difference from a local mud run to Spartan to Tough Mudder. The obstacles, the course, the competition will all be different based on which race you're doing. Also whats the terrain? I've done an ocr with a relatively flat course and I've done ones where I've gone up and down hills the whole time.

I'm not saying you are but don't over look training for the obstacles. The better prepared you are for those the faster you will be too.
  • OCRking
    Options
    all of them! thomas blanc who... hahaha im gonna smash spartans, tough mudders, pain and suffering, hunter runs, B2TT, all of them in the UK USA all over....
  • pavrg
    Options
    I give up. I never said he was already elite
    Yea, you did. And the way you phrased it along with the question on why made it sound like you thought he was silly for trying to get better. But you conveniently edited the post so you can deny it and claim you said otherwise. If it's not what you meant then fine, but don't edit your post post facto and tell me that you never wrote what you wrote.

Getting better takes as long as it takes. There's nothing you can do to make it faster for a deadline. If the race is next week then the answer is he won't get there.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I give up. I never said he was already elite
    Yea, you did. And the way you phrased it along with the question on why made it sound like you thought he was silly for trying to get better. But you conveniently edited the post so you can deny it and claim you said otherwise. If it's not what you meant then fine, but don't edit your post post facto and tell me that you never wrote what you wrote.

Getting better takes as long as it takes. There's nothing you can do to make it faster for a deadline. If the race is next week then the answer is he won't get there.

Wow...have to respond to this as you're clearly incredibly confused. I didn't edit anything out of my post. If you look at the time stamp, I edited it BEFORE you ever replied - over 10 minutes before. I edited it to add the blurb about a recent event I was in.
  • OCRking
    Options

ha its you who should edit that reply...because no one tells me what i can and cant do!!... whether the race is in a year or tomorrow the answer is i can get there i will get there..im gonna win!! AROO....i wanted to know if there is any advice to get faster not for some sissy to tell me i cant!!?
  • OCRking
    Options
    What is your weekly mileage like? Usually the key to speed is to get a better base.

Honestly, to get myself to a sub-20 5k, I had to run a 3:20 marathon.

However, in the weeks leading up to a PR attempt, I did two speed or stamina runs a week, two easy runs, and a long run. It looked something like

Monday: weight train - arms
    Tuesday - 1 mile warm up, 6x400m @ sub 6min/mile pace w/90 second jogs, 1 mile cool down
    Wed -4 miles
    Thurs - mile repeats: warm up, 4x1600m@6:45 pace w/3min jogs, cool down
    Friday - weight train - legs
    Sat - 13 miles
    Sun - 11 miles (double weekend long runs because I am also doing a long-term ultra training plan)

just did sub 20 LOL cheers dude