Type 1 Diabetic

Options
Hi, I'm a person with type 1 Diabetes and wondering if there are any others out there? I know we face a unique set of challenges and would love to team up if you're out there!

Replies

• ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    Me.
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am not however I train a lday named Sue who is and when she exercises we have jelly beans on her at all times and even at the end of the session if she is ok we will eat a jelly bean as it doesnt hurt...

I find it very challenging to trian her as I am affriad that something could go wrong and that would scare me alot ... do you have any tips????
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    <-- Me
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    SarahBC,

I check my sugar before i work out. if i'm in the low range, then i eat something 15 minutes before i begin, works for me.
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thankyou SyreetaJayne1 :P keep in touch hope all is going well for you
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    me too. 23 years in
  • wagn27
    wagn27 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this page! I'm a Type 1 diabetic on a pump and I have so much trouble keeping my blood sugar normal when I'm exercising. Example: yesterday I BS was 93 so I turned down my pump and ate a half hour before working out. While I was working out, it dropped to 53 (was in the 120s when I started) and I had to stop to eat. Sometimes even if I adjust my basal insulin, my BS drops 5 hours after exercising! My doctor isn't very helpful, just says "you'll probably have to decrease your insulin before and after". Yup that's what I'm doing. I know everyone is different, but any suggestions? Low blood sugar is sort of keeping me from meeting my calorie goals....... :(
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this page! I'm a Type 1 diabetic on a pump and I have so much trouble keeping my blood sugar normal when I'm exercising. Example: yesterday I BS was 93 so I turned down my pump and ate a half hour before working out. While I was working out, it dropped to 53 (was in the 120s when I started) and I had to stop to eat. Sometimes even if I adjust my basal insulin, my BS drops 5 hours after exercising! My doctor isn't very helpful, just says "you'll probably have to decrease your insulin before and after". Yup that's what I'm doing. I know everyone is different, but any suggestions? Low blood sugar is sort of keeping me from meeting my calorie goals....... :(

Welcome wagn27!!! Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm not on a pump, so I can only tell you what has worked for me using regular insulin, I do sort of what your doctor is recommending, i adjust just before, and for about 6-12 hours after exercise, especially if it's intense. I also don't let lows keep me from my goals, i feed them in as part of my calorie intake, and still stick with my goals (if possible). Sometimes i do go over, due to a low at the end of the day after i've eaten all my calories (extremely frustrating, i know!), but i chock it up to "spilled milk" and start again the next day! YOu can do this! We're here for you.
  • wagn27
    wagn27 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to try to keep healthier snacks around so I don't reach for that 270 calorie milky way I ate this morning.... And the 200-something calorie donut. They got my sugar back up but I was looking at my totals today- Ouch!
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to try to keep healthier snacks around so I don't reach for that 270 calorie milky way I ate this morning.... And the 200-something calorie donut. They got my sugar back up but I was looking at my totals today- Ouch!

LOL! Been there, done that, learned from it :laugh: