Thanksgiving Day Is My Anniversary

Options
Yep. On this day last year, I made the decision to do something about my weight. I was 270.9 pounds at the time.

I had lost more than 10 pounds during the previous month, starving myself just to impress a surgeon; but he wasn't as impressed as I had hoped. Instead, he told me that I had to lose another 70 pounds just to get my much needed knee replacement surgery.

Today, I am 87 pounds lighter and going to a Thanksgiving lunch at my sister-in-law's Vivian house. This is the same place I made my decision to 'get serious' about losing weight. I wasn't sure, if I could really lose 70 pounds; but I thought that I should at least give it a try.

Did I have a plan? Not really. I just decided to 'watch what I ate' at the traditional Thanksgiving feast and stay away from the high calorie stuff. I also decided to stop washing everything down with Diet Coke.

That's right. One year ago, this DC addict had her last Diet Coke. I went from drinking nothing but Diet Coke to no Diet Coke. That saved me a lot of money on beverages, and I wasn't filling up a 90 gallon recycle can with aluminum every week.

My food for today is already planned and well within my calorie limit. Yes, I will have turkey, mashed potatoes and even pumpkin pie. I will even have leftovers tonight without blowing my calorie count. I can do that now, because MFP has shown how to plan a healthy, happy Thanksgiving without eating myself into a high calorie coma.

I have lost 87 pounds in the past year, but I have gained wisdom and a better life...thanks to MFP and my wonderful MFP friends who have encouraged me and taught me that I can do more than I thought possible and have this better, healthier life.

My double knee replacement surgery will take place on December 16th. This is another new beginning. This surgery will give me mobility again. I will no longer be limited by a wheelchair and walker existence. I will have that long awaited freedom in 2014.

This is a dream come true...that began on Thanksgiving Day in 2012.

May all of you have a great Thanksgiving, a blessed Christmas and a New Year of dreams coming true. :smile:

Replies

• LinOtt
    LinOtt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What a year you have had Sue! Inspirational because you have persevered through all the ups and downs life has thrown you. I think you have 'found your legs' to misquote a saying......
  • Katiejo97
    Katiejo97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on both your physical and mental achievements in the past year! I will be praying for your speedy recovery and will be watching the site in anxious anticipation to hear of your surgery outcome. Have a truly blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you for being the inspiration you are for all of us here.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    So many things to be thankful for. Thank you for the inspiration.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary here's to another year of positive changes :drinker:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Well done you!! 2014 is going to be a great year for you!~
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • wisebuys
    wisebuys Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you !!! I was blessed with two hip replacements which basically gave me my life back.
    I am certain you will experience the same joy, especially since you have dropped the weight which should
    facilitate your recovery.
    2014 will be your year ... Celebrate and Enjoy !!!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job! Can't wait to hear you say how happy you are to have made it through your surgery and healing!

Well done and thank you for sharing.
  • myhoneyrose
    Options
    One year ago today you began an important journey that brought you to a healthy you. And today will start the next journey in your life.
    The journey of a more active you. I am so happy for you and I pray that this coming year brings you a healthier and more adventurous New Year. Blessings to you and Ed.
  • Cass0422
    Cass0422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is amazing and motivating. I also started at just about the same weight 2 months ago. I hope I can do as well as you have. Way to go! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Mine too...........................my wedding anniversary! 15 years today!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have watched you through most of this travel you have done and have always been amazed at what you have accomplished. ext year I'm sure is going to make you a totally new woman and we will see you doing all kinds of things that you haven't been able to for a while.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Congratulation on your anniversary. It surely seems as if you and Ed have a woderful relationship and that is something to celebrate for sure. I'm so excited for your upcoming surgery and I hope I'm right behind you!
  • crystaldport
    crystaldport Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary to your new way of life Sue!!! God has brought you so far in the last year - quite a journey. And He has so much more (better) things for you and Special Ed. ;)