Compliments?

Options
I've decided that I am awful at accepting compliments from people.

Example: "Nice Shirt" ---- "Oh thanks, i got it at a consignment shop"
"You look like you lost more weight" ---- "oh it must be your eyes" ha ha ha

so how do other people handle getting compliments about losing weight. Do you just smile and say thanks or what?

Replies

• salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! :bigsmile:

Some compliments make me uncomfortable (you know the creepy ones), but for the most part I just smile and say thank you
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks-- I just need to get better at it =)
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    "Thanks!"
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    haha I used to be like that. I'd take a few minutes to explain where I got the shirt, how cheap I got it for and what other colors it came in. Now I just say thanks, and refrain from anything else unless asked. Why as a sociey are we 'embarassed' when someone says something positive about us? It should be a personal victory.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I was the same way and OMG I love consignment store shopping, ha!! A friend of mine told me how rude it comes across when I do not say thanks. I've gotten better. You know the problem, so make the change. When you do, you will begin to see yourself in a different light. :flowerforyou:

And congrats on the weight loss.
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i dont know why but i am still hiding the fact that i am trying to lose weight from everybody except my family.. so if anybody comments on my weight i am like O_O really/ aww thanks.. i dunno maybe the study load is shrinking me down ;D
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY need to improve on this...I didn't even realize it until you posed the question and with how you answer! My December mini goal is to learn to just say "Thank you" to any and all compliments and otherwise keep my mouth shut :)
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Depends. If the people who are giving me compliments have talked about me behind my back and I know this as a fact I usually say, "I know, thanks! You could lose some weight, you're getting kind of fat." or "What's your BMI? Oh, you know you're overweight, right?" - *****y, but, they hurt my fat self's feelings! Otherwise, I'm just like "Thanks ^_^ *twirl, pose, dramatic gestures to *kitten**"
  • linzchapates
    Options
    Being a woman, we are programmed to downplay things in general. In coporate and office settings especially, We will often drop "I'm sorry" for things that don't need apologies such as your voicemail, "Sorry I'm not in the office right now..."...etc etc

The best response is "Thank you" and a smile, or "you are very thoughtful" ... resist the urge to brush it off :)
  • Danicacub
    Danicacub Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am the same. especially with my husband, he will call me pretty or sexy and i will just say "nooo, you're crazy" and laugh, but i know for a guy, confidence is sexy so.. i am also going to learn to say thank you. especially now i have started 30ds.. expecting results.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Just smile & say "thanks" ...... easy-peasy :drinker:
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't really get compliments on it yet, so take it as an amazing feat that you are getting so many!
    A simple "Thanks" or coy "Oh stop it" usually works.