New account for the new year!

Options
Hello, a few of you may know that I have no internet (phone or otherwise) at home at the moment but I am still here (even though really I am not)
I just want opinions as I am thinking of starting a new account to symbolise the new year, new me, new health, new fitness, new goals and new quit smoking. I am determined to make 2014 my year, my two main goals are to quit smoking and get fit! I have another few small goals that are not as important but I need my health back!

Just want opinions on starting over with a fresh account.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this either.

I also don't understand 'new year resolutions' - why not start now, rather than January 1st?!
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this either.

I also don't understand 'new year resolutions' - why not start now, rather than January 1st?!

yep
  • MumToBrendon
    Options
    I am best when I plan. I planned to quit smoking this new year and at the same time start logging food. I want a fresh start and been a planner works for me. I also have a lot of commitments till then and no internet. Just yesterday my weightloss went up to 12lb so I am not exactly waiting to start. Just planning so everything is linked into one!
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    No point changing your account. Just revamp the current one, keep your friends list and get a head start on your goals for 2014
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    "TODAY is the first day of the rest of your life".
    What are you waiting for?
  • Godan2b
    Godan2b Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If nothing else use December to start charting your food and exercise. Maybe then you can plan what meals work best for you, portions, etc. It will also give you a head start on what will help you to quit smoking and which form of exercises work best for you.

That way if your a planner you be ready to go :)
  • em435
    Options
    I am best when I plan.

Plan for tomorrow. And tomorrow plan for the day after.
    Baby steps
    I planned to quit smoking this new year and at the same time start logging food.

This sounds like a lot to me. I know when I set high goals, I feel like crap as soon as I slip up and usually give up soon after.
    Maybe this won't be the case for you but I'd go for smaller achievable goals over a shorter time frame. Maybe start logging today and work on cutting your calories down little by little, then work on smoking... Up to you

I want a fresh start and been a planner works for me. I also have a lot of commitments till then and no internet. Just yesterday my weightloss went up to 12lb so I am not exactly waiting to start. Just planning so everything is linked into one!

You will ALWAYS have commitments. If this is important to you, you'll make the time.
    And if you don't have internet - an Excel spreadsheet/notepad works just fine.

Point is, if you want it, get it. You are the only person in your own way.
  • MumToBrendon
    Options
    I HAVE ALREADY STARTED! I just think a new account fits. Everyone that has replied haven't evem acknowledged the first message I put!
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    Instead of starting a new account why not start a new blog...new year new me and keep yourself accountable that way?
  • em435
    Options
    It didn't sound like you had in your original post but fair enough if you have.

I'm lazy so I wouldn't bother with a new account but whatever works for you.
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I HAVE ALREADY STARTED! I just think a new account fits. Everyone that has replied haven't evem acknowledged the first message I put!

It's because you said you wanted 2014 to be your year so people assumed that's when you were starting
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you feel a fresh account will help you then go for it. Just make sure you add the most supportive of your friends back on instead of dumping them ;).

x
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I realise you want, may be need, to make a break for your self. You know yourself best. Perhaps you need to redefine yourself.

I wonder how you might feel about setting this account up as a practice so you can see how you go without pinning yourself down properly for the next few weeks, though these weeks are probably very busy ones. At least one person I have been in contact with got very glittery when they started for real and then took a break with a view to restarting properly again when they felt more in control. I have read having ones "Head" in the right place helps. They found the pressure of trying to do everything all at once overpowering. Many people think the New Year is a good time to start but more of these attempts end in failure, too much hope or unrealistic expectations heaped one on the other.

You have set yourself a lofty goal. To become Healthy again. You seem to have every incentive in your son. Wanting health is fantastic for you and your family. Being true to myself was the hardest lesson for me to learn. Here at MFP each day starts with a fresh calorie allocation. Should you go over it is up to you how you deal with it. Take a walk up and down the hall or up the stairs and down to counteract some of it, if you can't get out, or just say, what the...... and log it and get back to it in the morning. Then make notes about why it was good or bad if you have time. This if you look back will help you see where you difficulties are, unfortunately there will be some,

You need to make sure you set up the system with the best level of activity that suits you. A little one no matter how wonderful is enough to keep you active. I have never smoked so I have no idea how difficult it can be to do it. Friends and family found the first day or two easy then it was fits and starts back to square one so this in itself might be enough on its own.

I wish you all the very best. I am a grandma now. I started out like you, but the difference is I am still chipping at it. I wish I had half the information available to you all today. My fervent hope is that you beat this much sooner than me.

Added

I did not understand from what I read that you were doing more than dipping your toes in the water at the moment. If I were you I would, gird up all the experience gained this far, and continue to build on it here as the name you have now. So when you achieve your victory you have it all there for you to read and know how much you have grown as a person
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am best when I plan. I planned to quit smoking this new year and at the same time start logging food. I want a fresh start and been a planner works for me. I also have a lot of commitments till then and no internet. Just yesterday my weightloss went up to 12lb so I am not exactly waiting to start. Just planning so everything is linked into one!

Sounds like you've already made up your mind with what you plan to do. if that's the case, why even bother asking for other people's opinions if you're just going to give your reasons for wanting to do the opposite?

delete your account and start over if that's what you really want to do. after all - it's your life. peace.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need a new account, go for it. What difference do we, a bunch of people you don't know and who don't know you, make? You have to find what works for you and then do it! Good luck with whatever choice you make! :flowerforyou:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I plan on creating several ...

;)
  • Ankida
    Options
    That's what's so disappointing about forums, so many rude negative people. That why I usually avoid them. Why bother posting? Maybe they tripped on their treadmill, =D I'm just going to hold to that image of them face planting.

Who cares who here is saying " I don't get it," They don't have to. I get that feeling, too. Like you need a clean slate for your own mentality. That's all that really matters, do whatever works for you. Even if it's a placebo, who cares if it works, right?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think it's OK to have multiple accounts?

MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

10. Multiple Accounts Are Not Allowed