hysterectomy

Options
Feeling frustrated. I had a hysterectomy and post and ant. repair 2 weeks ago tomorrow...And I know I have not eaten the best. but today I started back on my eating right...but what makes me frustrated the dr only will allow me to walk...nothing else until Dec. 31st ;( is there any suggestions anyone else has I can do ? I can't lift over 10 pounds.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    walk-
    and walk some more.

Do the best you can- I wouldn't mess around really- major surgery is a big deal.

Otherwise- have mine- I don't' want it- you can take it. then you can run jump and play all you want.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Do what the dr. says. You don't want to end up with something being worse and you can't do anything for longer.
    Just keep walking. As long as you are moving you are burning. Take your time and recover and heal properly.
    Good luck.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat right and do what your doctor advises. Dec 31st is only 29 days away.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Listen to the doctor. If the doctor says you can walk then do just that. If you over-exert then you risk making things worse and extending your recovery period. Just keep walking!
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago and my Dr wouldn't let me exercise for 6 wks. I thought I felt good enough to even do a little vacuuming and tried it for a few mins a couple of wks after my surgery and experienced some pain. Do what your Dr says, only walk! You'll be able to get back into your workouts before you know it. Rest up now while you can!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    why do you feel the need to do more than walk?

eat right, walk, rest and recover.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will be your diet so be very, very careful with your calorie intake and walk for exercise. The few extra calories you burn with exercise won't be worth pulling something apart and having to have a repair later.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes, do what the Doctor says and even then be careful. I ended up with the most horrendous stomach cramps (like birth contractions) because I tried to walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes at 2.5 mph about 3 weeks after mine. Don't do it, you will regret it. let your body repair first or it'll take you longer in the end :flowerforyou:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it is and sympathize. Earlier this year, I was in the very early stages of ovarian cancer and had to have a unilateral oophorectomy done which was to remove my right ovary and fallopian tube. I was ordered to not lift more than 10lbs during the 6-8 weeks of recovery. At times I was completely stir crazy, but I did my best to eat within my calorie goal and once I was able to move around without pain, I would take my dogs for slow walks around the neighborhood for some form of physical activity.

Listen to your doctor, you wouldn't want to risk causing yourself a hernia or aggravating your incision site which will just be like shooting yourself in the foot and requiring EVEN MORE recovery time. It seems like forever now, but it will be over before you know it.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sfhudgens
    sfhudgens Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will just continue to eat right and to just walk lol....I know what you mean about the cramping...I wasn't thinking and picked up my nephew. and I thought I was going to die! But you are all right...I will just walk and eat healthy!
  • mazamarie
    Options
    I had hysterectomy in 2009 and I didn't diet or watch what I ate and I was 30 lbs over weight,

Before the hysterectomy I had been 45 lbs over weight that weight being about 118 lbs until age 35 leaving out the baby weight I gained then lost when I had my son at 23..

I found the Dr was right and I should have worked harder at fitness and diet before surgery because the belly fat really made healing take longer.. Like it was pulling against the healing tissues..

I took it easy afterwards, didn't do enough after 3 months I should have been walking myself fit and dieting..

I got to 75 lbs over weight and dieted and exercised two years ago, down to 36 lbs over, and symptoms of pain and numbness and bowel problems improved..

But then I had to get a hernia, it had to be repaired as it was strangulating my bowel.. So back to recovery mode - a big set back..

I let it go and didn't eat as well or exercise and gained back to 670lbs over and all the nasty symptoms came back, numbness in tummy skin, bowel problems plus aching joints and fatigue, etc

I could really feel my belly fat pulling my abdomen..

Since starting again on getting fit and loosing 34 lbs so far, I started with walking, further and faster as weeks progressed then joined the gym,,doing mainly cardio and swimming for a month or so then progressing and building in weights and Pilates..

Even though Iv only lost 34 lbs so since beginning of August, at 45 I am in far I'm in better shape than I have been for over 10 years, the numbness has gone.. My tummy problems are soo much improved and the only aches I get are some muscle aches as I up the weights and increase the intensity and length of cardio.. Oh and Pilates too..

I would say the first 2-3 months you shouldn't do too much, be careful with yourself. You have a lot of healing to do.. And it's amazing how much your lower abdominal a are involved in all movements so don't pull them about ..

You don't want to split your internal stiches and bring on a hernia.. It's dangerous to have one there as if your bowel gets trapped it can die off - I was lucky mined could be manipulated back through..

Diet now, and do walk about and when you get a few months down the line see how you feel - listen to your body and your Dr x
  • sfhudgens
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will just let myself heal. I was feeling down that day. however today is a new day. I had to go to town (I live 30 minutes from town) and I wanted to get a greasy yummy breakfast burrito and a dr pepper but I didn't :) SO to me that was a NVS :) I can do this!

I had hysterectomy in 2009 and I didn't diet or watch what I ate and I was 30 lbs over weight,

Before the hysterectomy I had been 45 lbs over weight that weight being about 118 lbs until age 35 leaving out the baby weight I gained then lost when I had my son at 23..

I found the Dr was right and I should have worked harder at fitness and diet before surgery because the belly fat really made healing take longer.. Like it was pulling against the healing tissues..

I took it easy afterwards, didn't do enough after 3 months I should have been walking myself fit and dieting..

I got to 75 lbs over weight and dieted and exercised two years ago, down to 36 lbs over, and symptoms of pain and numbness and bowel problems improved..

But then I had to get a hernia, it had to be repaired as it was strangulating my bowel.. So back to recovery mode - a big set back..

I let it go and didn't eat as well or exercise and gained back to 670lbs over and all the nasty symptoms came back, numbness in tummy skin, bowel problems plus aching joints and fatigue, etc

I could really feel my belly fat pulling my abdomen..

Since starting again on getting fit and loosing 34 lbs so far, I started with walking, further and faster as weeks progressed then joined the gym,,doing mainly cardio and swimming for a month or so then progressing and building in weights and Pilates..

Even though Iv only lost 34 lbs so since beginning of August, at 45 I am in far I'm in better shape than I have been for over 10 years, the numbness has gone.. My tummy problems are soo much improved and the only aches I get are some muscle aches as I up the weights and increase the intensity and length of cardio.. Oh and Pilates too..

I would say the first 2-3 months you shouldn't do too much, be careful with yourself. You have a lot of healing to do.. And it's amazing how much your lower abdominal a are involved in all movements so don't pull them about ..

You don't want to split your internal stiches and bring on a hernia.. It's dangerous to have one there as if your bowel gets trapped it can die off - I was lucky mined could be manipulated back through..

Diet now, and do walk about and when you get a few months down the line see how you feel - listen to your body and your Dr x
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The ladies are right to say walk, walk, walk. I have lost almost 60 pounds by walking. Roughly 30 before my hysterectomy and 30 after. I just started a Pilates class last April so most of my weight has come off through counting calories and walking.

My Hysterectomy was 3 years ago and I found the most wonderful community of women online. The site is called HysterSisters. You can meet other women who have had surgery the same week you did (Hysterectomy Recovery Report Threads) and there are tons of forums, articles, videos, blogs and anything you can think of regarding this surgery. I know they really helped me when I was worried about doing the right thing to make sure my body recovered well from this major surgery. And it is major surgery even though it is a common one. Don't let anyone minimize the severity of this surgery.

Take good care of yourself by eating well, drinking lots of water, walking as much as your body will let you (when you feel heaviness at the bottom of your tummy, that means it is time to go horizontal) and rest a lot.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Feeling frustrated. I had a hysterectomy and post and ant. repair 2 weeks ago tomorrow...And I know I have not eaten the best. but today I started back on my eating right...but what makes me frustrated the dr only will allow me to walk...nothing else until Dec. 31st ;( is there any suggestions anyone else has I can do ? I can't lift over 10 pounds.

Please, LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR........and get well soon. Complications from wanting too much too soon, can be devastating....guess how I know ?
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    The ladies are right to say walk, walk, walk. I have lost almost 60 pounds by walking. Roughly 30 before my hysterectomy and 30 after. I just started a Pilates class last April so most of my weight has come off through counting calories and walking.

My Hysterectomy was 3 years ago and I found the most wonderful community of women online. The site is called HysterSisters. You can meet other women who have had surgery the same week you did (Hysterectomy Recovery Report Threads) and there are tons of forums, articles, videos, blogs and anything you can think of regarding this surgery. I know they really helped me when I was worried about doing the right thing to make sure my body recovered well from this major surgery. And it is major surgery even though it is a common one. Don't let anyone minimize the severity of this surgery.

Take good care of yourself by eating well, drinking lots of water, walking as much as your body will let you (when you feel heaviness at the bottom of your tummy, that means it is time to go horizontal) and rest a lot.

I am about to celebrate my one year "Hysterversary" on December 26. Hystersisters was my lifesaver!!! It was so nice to have other women who I could relate to.

OP- Please follow your doctors orders!! I know it's frustrating but you don't want to hurt yourself and end up not being able to exercise for an extended amount of time due to an injury. Do a little walking and most important watch what you eat!!! I gained about 6 pounds after surgery which took me to my highest weight ever. I have lost the 6 pounds and a lot more!! Use this time to rest and recover. Once your doc gives you the go ahead then give it your all. The time will go by fast and you will be back to it in no time!!

Good luck and wishes for a speedy recovery :flowerforyou:
  • rvpearson
    rvpearson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, I had a hysterectomy a month ago yesterday and I am limited to just walking as well, at least for 2 more weeks. Although I have been so tired (anemic) up until this last week that I didn't feel like doing much else! When I asked my dr about exercise, he said to just take it easy, that your body needs its strength to heal. I have been walking, slowly, about 30 minutes a day and trying to eat healthy. I know it is hard, but I figured it is better to be careful for the 6 weeks, then risk problems and have to go back in for surgery! Good Luck to you!
  • fittlefattle
    Options

Hystersisters was my lifesaver!!! It was so nice to have other women who I could relate to.

*fistbump* Me too, sistah! Got me through some dark days laying around and recovering, thinking too much.

OP- I know it's super sucky at first, but things do get better. I also thought I had more strength than I actually did after surgery, you don't want to find out the hard way. Glad you're feeling better today. Be kind to yourself during this time in your life. xo
  • sfhudgens
    Options
    Thanks to you all :)
    now what do I do when its snow out and I can't walk lol :)
  • mazamarie
    Options
    Errm march on the spot to music, or walk back and fro growling like a caged tiger lol