Exercise

Options
I've been using the MFP for two months. I am doing a good job on changing my eating habits. The problem is that I'm having a hard time getting motivated to get out and exercise. Any ideas on getting motivated, or what to start with.

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You have to find something that you like. If you haven't done anything in a while, start with walking. Easy, cheap, and just about anybody can do it.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I walk and do strength training at the gym. I be sure to hit at least 12,000 steps per day as much as possible, and try to go to the gym for a 30 minute strength training 3-4 times a week, and it's worked great for me so far. I stay within my calorie targets most of the time.
  • sdhunter8
    sdhunter8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I did just buy a decent pedometer that counts steps, distance and calories, It says that you should try for 10,000 steps. Seems like a lot.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Try a bunch of different things until you find something you really enjoy. I've basically tried everything and now know what I hate, and what I like! You can even try things at home like kettlebell workouts! Fun and doesn't require lots of equipment :-)
  • monica_reinert
    monica_reinert Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy doing the Leslie Sansone walking exercise. It's easy fun and fast. She has anywhere from a 1 to 5 mile walk.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Once you start a solid walking routine you may start to get soreness in your knees or ankles. If so dont be discouraged, consider picking up some good crosstrainer shoes that you only use for your walks. I also take ibuprophen daily to aid in minor joint pain.

Good luck!
  • bhattarai_mahesh
    bhattarai_mahesh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If nothing else works, try chair exercise videos. Tried it myself too. The 30 min workout on chair gets you sweaty
  • pinktac0
    Options
    i have the same problem. luckily i have a dog but its getting out the door thats my problem. so to get started i try to walk to at least ONE errand a day. And i try and stretch the walk once im out. Also i put my "walking" clothes on and usually that starts the process. leme know how it goes your weight loss is great! So this should be easy comparatively :wink:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Once you start a solid walking routine you may start to get soreness in your knees or ankles. If so dont be discouraged, consider picking up some good crosstrainer shoes that you only use for your walks. I also take ibuprophen daily to aid in minor joint pain.

Good luck!
    You really shouldn't be taking Ibuprofen daily for long term use without consulting a Doctor.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Painkillers-ibuprofen/Pages/Side-effects.aspx
  • jimjamsjet
    jimjamsjet Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just start. Force yourself one day and every day after that it gets easier
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    wouldn't you like to keep up with that grandson of yours? take him on hikes with you.

if he has a bike, i bet he'd love to go on rides with you.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You have to find something that you like. If you haven't done anything in a while, start with walking. Easy, cheap, and just about anybody can do it.

Aye!

Fancy playing a sport? Join a local club. Or just have fun with a friend. The hours will fly by.
  • meridian35
    meridian35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you have got to do something you enjoy, nothing more miserable than dreading your workouts and clock watching during them. I started horse riding again a year or so ago and not only does it burn about 300 calories and hour, it has toned my keg stomach and buttocks a treat. The best thing though is that I love doing it, look forward to it :)
  • bikerist
    Options
    Definitely do something you enjoy. If you used to enjoy doing something but haven't done it for a while, get out there and try it again. It's about getting active. We like to go walking sometimes, so we picked up a booklet of peak district walks for the weekends - otherwise we like to cycle. My Husband has a gym membership, he enjoys the gym. I have my stack of fitness DVD's and spin bike because the gym doesn't motivate me. Sometimes we run or swim.

If you're unsure, try fitness classes. Most gyms will do a 7 day free pass now, if you don't already have a gym membership.
  • HEATHERACU73
    HEATHERACU73 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I work a full-time job and then a part-time job at night on top of that so getting to exercise is only doable during lunch. I have a gym 10 minutes away so I do 30 minutes of walking at an incline, then go back to work and eat at my desk while I work. I find that easy. If I did it any other way, I'd never exercise. So that's my suggestion
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    10k, steps seems like a lot, but once you see how easy it is to get them you'll be amazed. I got a FitBit to count my steps and was amazed that I clocked nearly 1000 steps b/f leaving the house in the morning, let dog out, feed cats, let dog in, shower, yoga, get lunch and snacks together, get work-out clothes and work bag ready, back to brush my teeth, walk around opening blinds while brushing teeth, back to apply make-up, walk to closet to pick out clothes for the day, dress, back to finish hair, walk from kitchen to plant room to drop recyclable in bin, back to get my coat, lunch bag, breakfast. That's b/f I get out the door :drinker:

I love doing yoga to a 10 minute tape in the morning. I go to office gym at noon and do some weight machines and the elliptical (easier on my knees than treadmill).

I LOVE the feeling of riding a bike, I feel like a kid again. I also love gardening so gonna be a bummer for the next 6 months here in NE.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You need to stop finding excuses to avoid exercising. Trust me--nobody gets up, exercises, and thinks "I should have stayed in bed". It is cliche but you will only regret it if you DONT do it. Start out by taking a walk for 20 min. That is how I started. Now I go on hour long walk/runs. Trust me--even doing a 20 min walk will give you so much fulfillment, and you will want to have that feeling day after day.

If you are looking for a form of exercise where you don't have to put forth any effort--YOU WILL NOT FIND IT.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I did just buy a decent pedometer that counts steps, distance and calories, It says that you should try for 10,000 steps. Seems like a lot.

Geez, it says "try" for 10,000 ........

If you can't do 10,000 then do what you can ...... the next day add more ...... and the next day add more ......

JUST DO IT :drinker:
  • sdhunter8
    sdhunter8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your idea's and encouragement. Your all right, just do it. Thanks again
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You're doing great with the weight loss! I get totally bored with walking (outside or on the treadmill), and change up my music and scenery as much as possible to combat this. I also give myself 5-minute "blasts" of sit-ups, planks, et cetera several times a day...figure I can do just about anything for 5 minutes. If you're close enough to walk to a specific store, post office, or somewhere you really need to visit, that can help too. The earlier posts that encourage you to just "do it" are right on the mark. Often, that first 10 seconds you get up to move is harder than what might follow...inertia is a b*&$%. There are some great exercise videos on YouTube if that's likely to motivate you. Set weekly goals and reward yourself with a trinket after a week of "good behavior." You can do it!