Have 125lbs to lose the old fashion way need a buddy!

Options
I have 125 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight. I am just restarting today and determined to make the necessary changes. My approach is pretty simple, eat every 3 hours in the right proportions and move more throughout the day.

I get overwhelmed when I think about the big number so I am trying to break it into smaller action oriented results rather than looking at the number on the scale. For instance, I can't fit into my winter coat from last year comfortably. My first goal is just to get back into that coat before it is too warm to wear it. Probably only 20 lbs but it will be a big step forward. Every morning instead of weighing, I plan to just put on the coat... the morning I can zip it comfortably I will weigh.

I am an all or nothing kind of gal so it is hard for me to get into the swing of things especially after not being "perfect" for a period of time. I have always used pills, or diets or other "tricks"... this time it's just the plain old fashion way. I want to change the way I think about food in general. See it for what it is, forgive myself quickly when I slide and keep moving forward daily!.

I would love to hear from anyone who has a simpler goal and is using the same kind of approach. I know it is unrealistic to expect quick results so I need someone who is in for the long haul. I think it will take the majority of this next year to achieve my goal. I will be logging on each weekday during my lunch hour to "invest" in me instead of working through lunch while I eat at my desk. That is 12 or so eastern time so I would also be open to a quick IM chat with a buddy just to see how the day is going for both of us.

Any helpful hints, encouragement or other advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also try to go by small goals. Looking at my big picture scares me sometimes. I had to go without a winter coat for 2 years because I couldn't find one big enough. Last year I was able to get it on but not button it, this year it is great!
    The current goal I have been working on is reaching 299, should be any day now!
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Koloss_Kelsier
    Options
    I am going through and breaking them up into small weight loss goals. Instead of looking at it as 160 overall pounds I need to lose, I am just focusing on 20-30 increments with hopes that will click in my mind as more doable, and then hopefully hit that main goal after a while. Feel free to add me if you like :). Happy Monday!
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

I just joined last week. Was on WW, but it was cancelled, so wanted to find sometihgn else. I'm hooked on this site. In the last week, I'v excercised more, eaten less, and lost more weight than ever before. Makes you think about what you are doing (or not doing). Lots of encouragement here as well.
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started at about this time last year with about 140 to lose. I set smaller goals along the way (X pounds by this date, Y pounds by that date, etc.). I broke everything into smaller pieces --- started with logging everything and trying to drink more water. Then moved along to staying within my calories most days. Etc. I added exercise about eight months in. I think that the most important thing is to just keep going .... there will be days when you eat more than you wished you had, or didn't drink as much water, or didn't exercise at all or as much as you wanted to .... just get up the next day and start again. None of us is perfect .... but doing this one day at a time really does work. It hasn't been as fast as I'd like, but I feel like I've made a lot of progress, and I can do things now that I couldn't begin to do a year ago. You can do this, and you are worth it .... just take little steps, and you'll get there.
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I first started I had over 100 pounds to lose as well. It was a depressing thought but I figured time would pass whether I did this or not. I started December of 2012 and so its almost been a year. I wasnt sure how far I would get, because I knew I wasnt buying a gym membership. This is the last month before my one year mark and I have almost reached 40 pounds lost, which was my yearly goal. Of course I have many more pounds to go but to say that I almost reached my first short term goal is exciting. Its all about the little changes, and I think with the changes you plan on implementing, you will be successful :D
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree. There were two deaths in my family this year and so yeah I did start December of last year, but there have been at least 3 months where I was right off, and some other days where I just ate like a pig. To this day I still don't deny myself of anything I crave, I just eat it less and in smaller portions .. and to be honest, I barely crave the stuff I used to. I actually crave fruit and shakes now ;P
  • Mingara1
    Mingara1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 99 pounds (45kgs) to lose and need friends too! My willpower is okay...when I have mates but when I'm doing it by myself I tend to flounder and sink :(
    Good luck to all you lovelies - together we can do this!
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have well over 100 lbs to lose so feel free to add me as well!
  • Autumn_Loses_100
    Options
    Hello, feel free to add me :) I am 23 and have lost 6 out of the 100 lbs I am planning to lose.
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I do understand. I started on the site in 2011 and lost almost 50 of the 150 I felt I needed to lose. Life happened and I have gained it all back (stepped on the scale this morning). I restarted this life change today as well. For me, I need to focus in getting the food/eating protion under control. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hello, lovely! Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

I have around 75 pounds to lose in total. I break mine down into nerdy-licious mini goals in order to break up the large number that stares at me in the face. Every 5% of my body weight lost, I reward myself with something NOT food related. You can check out my profile if you'd like to see how I've got it goin' on. Also, I break down my ticker that way. Right now, I'm on my way to my first 'mini goal' ~ my ticker says I'm 7 pounds away. Once I hit that goal, I'll redo my ticker & add on another 11 or so pounds to lose.

Good luck on your journey, darling! I would love to support you (and anyone, for that matter!) along the way ~ anyone, feel free to add me! I also log every day, exercise (weight lifting) 4-5 days a week, and am supportive & active on my news feed.

Let's do this, beautifuls! :drinker:
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I took a 'high performance lifestyle' seminar a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd share with you what I learnt:

1) Wake up in the morning and stretch, lift weights, or do 10 minutes of cardio FIRST THING.
    2) Eat breakfast asap in the morning. Don't wait more than 45 minutes
    3) When at work, go to the 'washroom' every 2 hours, and do some jumping jacks or something to get your heart rate up
    4) Take ten minutes out of your lunch break and go for a walk. No excuses!
    5) Eat dinner as soon as you get home from work (if your schedule is like mine) so you don't risk overeating
    6) Eat high protein low sugar snacks every 3 hours

I hope that helps! It's been helping me.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started this lifestyle change in May of 2012 which was one month before my daughters wedding. When trying to find a dress for this special occasion I became severely depressed. The only way I have continued on this journey is by setting small goals for myself. After I lost the first 20 I joined Curves and ww online because I knew I would be more comfortable moving in front of people. My last goal was 70 pounds by my birthday in September and my next goal is 90 by New Years Eve. I have found that I love Zumba and Step Aerobics, which is a great accomplishment for this previous couch potato. My Fitness Pal is a great way to be accountable for everything you put in your mouth. I agree with the previous comment that you can't beat yourself up about any mistakes, instead get up and start anew. Good luck on your journey and keep your head up!!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am in a similar situation. I also need to lose about 125 pounds. Like you, I tried many diets and tricks. Nothing really stuck. I started my "old fashioned" diet about 5 weeks ago. My approach to dealing with the big number is not even to think about it. It's not even part of my plan now. Rather, I try to break it up into meaningful goals. These goals include: getting my first comments (call me vain, but it works), fitting into old clothes, making new holes in my belt, etc. The first long term goal was to lose 60 pounds for my birthday. Once I reached all these smaller goals, I will start thinking about how much I need to lose in total.

The key for me is logging everything I eat. I mean everything. So far I haven't missed a single day of logging. Obviously, I'm also watching my calorie count and logging it in MFP. I also started doing exercise about 4 times a week (that's 4 times more than I ever did).
    Another part of the plan that really helps me is that all my siblings are "friends" in MFP and my diary is shared. That way I get the encouragement when needed and the kudos when deserved.

Besides for reaching some of my smaller goals, I finally got to see a picture of myself taken this week without my first reaction being,"wow, I really need to lose some".

Feel free to add me as a friend so that we can encourage each other.
  • seugin
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I have over 125lbs to lose and just started at the end of October.
  • eharle200
    Options
    i just signed up today and have 90lbs to loose I have planned to use the calorie counter and move as much as possible throughout the day also need a buddy, i will need help sticking with this
  • kjk65
    kjk65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Would be happy to buddy up on your journey. I just changed my stats this morning and not in a good way.:ohwell:
  • Pinklacroix
    Pinklacroix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Setting small goals really helps. I've started and stopped so many times because I wasn't loosing fast enough. One day I decided to start small. Start setting healthy then added walking. Now I do workouts from home and have lost 55lbs since June. But dont just go by they scale. Take pics and measurements. If you are gaining muscled the scale won't tell you that. Also get rid of the clothes that's too big so you have nothing to fall back on. Also drink a lot of water.
  • charlene909
    Options
    I started weight watchers about a month ago, and I just rejoined this site. I am doing both, but I did have to lower my daily points cause I wasn't doing to well and once I did, I finally started losing..... Good Luck and hopefully, you are using both sites. I think the more the better. But, I do like seeing the calories instead of points everyday. For me it is more accurate! What do you think???
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    Hi! I'll be your buddy, I've got 125 pounds to lose myself, just started last monday! I'm 6 pounds closer :)