iPhone GPS

Options
I've noticed over the last 4 days that the GPS on my phone is seriously screwed up no matter where I am when I check it. Waving it around like a mad man does change the location but doesn't get it any closer to correct. I have been thinking of using one of the imapmy... apps with it for my running and riding but not if it's incorrect. :grumble:

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you correct it. I'm going to try the techs at the local Apple store (if I ever get up that way) but would like to solve it sooner. There doesn't seem to be a correction feature in the phone anywhere. How would it get off in the first place? Did someone move a satellite and forget to tell me? :huh:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    just checked mine and it working fine.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've been using nike+ GPS and it seems to be quite accurate!
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    Mine seems to be okay ... for the first 4 or 5 minutes it appeared about 20yds off but soon corrected itself and looks to be spot on. Having no clue as to whether or or not it will help you, I do turn my iPhone off and back on again once a week.
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Went out during afternoon break and stood by the cyclone fencing surrounding the plant. It took a few minutes but finally had me in the right place. Now to map a route that follows the fenceline! :laugh:
  • sloanjr1
    sloanjr1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+ system on my iphone 4, does the nike+ gps work in conjunction with that or seperate?
  • tipusnr
    Options
    All the various GPS apps for the iPhone use the readings from Maps in different ways. If maps is off - they will all be off. I did get better readings on the way home in the car but had to get away from my house to get a good location at home. Then even though the location was right (using the satellite image for confirmation) the house address was from the street behind the house. I think my wireless router and laptops confuse the signal.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i have the iphone 4 and am using the mapmyrun program for mapping out routes on my computer and for tracking my run. I walked 2 miles the other day on a course I know the distance of and it was almost exact, and I live out in the boonies. I used it during my half marathon recently and on several long runs and it worked pretty good also. I have to have the location enabled on the settings though. On a couple of my long runs the distance seemed to be a little off what I had charted on the computer, but not more than a couple hundred yards for a 11.5 mile run, so I was okay with that. You might be more serious than I am though, but at least I don't have to get a GPS watch.
  • tipusnr
    Options
    Went out a got a Garmin hand held on sale. Problem solved.