Am i doing enough at the gym?

Options
Does anyone ever get the feeling that they aren't doing as much as they should be when going to the gym? I have been recently...and it's really getting to me. I do as many as i can during sets, until i physically can't do another rep. But don't really get that tired after leaving the gym. I want to leave the gym feeling "destroyed" haha.

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well if you can't manage any more reps then you are doing enough!

Hey, we can't feel destroyed with each workout lol : )
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't sweat a whole lot, but my legs and arms are pretty shakey after my workouts. I do feel like I should be doing more, though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i was reading jim wendlers training manual today for the umpteenth time. he rarely leaves it all out on the table. his goal is to have a really great main lift, and good assistance work.

if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You might have adapted to your training program. You should either add in new exercises or change your split, reps, and perhaps weights.
  • mcouey84
    mcouey84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OP--> How long have you been doing your current routine? What does it look like?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I don't understand wanting to leave the gym 'destroyed'. I want to get a workout sufficient to meet my goals, while leaving me able to live my life.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    OP--> How long have you been doing your current routine? What does it look like?

I have been going to my current gym for about a year now. I don't have a strict routine but i guess i could change it up a bit. I always make sure i'm not doing the same thing every time i go though
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Brah, you gotta add in Zumba.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever get the feeling that they aren't doing as much as they should be when going to the gym? I have been recently...and it's really getting to me. I do as many as i can during sets, until i physically can't do another rep. But don't really get that tired after leaving the gym. I want to leave the gym feeling "destroyed" haha.

Sounds like you need to A) change up your routine, and B) redefine your definition of a successful workout session. Exercise should leave you feeling energized and rejuvenated - not "destroyed".
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    Brah, you gotta add in Zumba.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I'd love to try a fitness class, they cost a lot round by me though dude!! :)
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I don't understand wanting to leave the gym 'destroyed'. I want to get a workout sufficient to meet my goals, while leaving me able to live my life.

I respect that dude, but my experiences have shown me that the harder i work the better the results, maybe the word destroyed was a bit over the top though lol :P
  • DannehBoyy
    Options

Sounds like you need to A) change up your routine, and B) redefine your definition of a successful workout session. Exercise should leave you feeling energized and rejuvenated - not "destroyed".

Thanks for the advice :) i will deffinatly try some new exercises.
  • jessee315
    Options
    I feel the same way..I wanted to start cutting up and getting shred instead of bulk so i started doing more sets and reps like 5 sets 12-15 reps for couple weeks and then I recently swtiched back to 3 sets of 10 reps and now i feel like I am cutting a bunch out and not pushing as hard yet I am going heavyier. I went back to doing 3 sets of 10 cause everyone kept telling me diet is the key.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Are you progressively upping your weights.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a specific program you're probably not giving yourself consistent overload or time under tension. Are you doing compound lifts at the gym? I added pendlay rows and now my back is getting all KIIINDS of doms.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as far as weight go, i agree with progressively increasing the weights as long as you can keep good form. this is also why using free weighs are easier than machines since it can sometimes be difficult to increase 10 pounds on a machine and keep good form, but with a free weight you can increase by 2.5 pounds.

i like wearing an HRM because it keeps me honest about my workouts. i try to have at least 3 workouts a week where i KILL it and with those I make sure my heart rate is continually at 150s or above. the other 2 workouts can be average in the 120's
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    If you don't have a specific program you're probably not giving yourself consistent overload or time under tension. Are you doing compound lifts at the gym? I added pendlay rows and now my back is getting all KIIINDS of doms.

Yeah i do a lot of compound exercises, they recently got a pull up bar so that should help a lot. i do a lot of dumbbell rows and push ups too
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    Are you progressively upping your weights.

Yeah i am. I do mainly body weight exercises though, but if i feel i can go heavier...i will up the weight :)
  • DannehBoyy
    Options
    I feel the same way..I wanted to start cutting up and getting shred instead of bulk so i started doing more sets and reps like 5 sets 12-15 reps for couple weeks and then I recently swtiched back to 3 sets of 10 reps and now i feel like I am cutting a bunch out and not pushing as hard yet I am going heavyier. I went back to doing 3 sets of 10 cause everyone kept telling me diet is the key.

That's what i am currently trying to do dude. I just wanna lower my body fat % and get shredded. I've heard the best way to do so is to lift as heavy as possible and stick to around 5 reps and 5 sets. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've been going doing, and it doesn't seem to leave my muscles feeling drained as much as when i did more reps with less weight.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    to actually build muscle you need to add more reps, as a previous poster said time under tension is key. try lengthening the time you spend on the eccentric portions of the lift, like a 1 up 4 down count.