Looking for something to bring to a party. App

Options
Melissaol
Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
I'm going to a friends house this weekend Nd need to bring a app. So I am looking for some good ideas. Any ideas?

Replies

• onsugarhill
    onsugarhill Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hummus & veggies/pita chips to dip?
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Skor apple dip

In a pie plate or quiche dish...

spread spreadable cream cheese onto bottom of plate

spread caramel dip (for apples) on top of cream cheese

Then spinkle a broken up skor candy bar on top (freeze first and then beat with a wooden spoon to break in into small pieces)

Cut Granny Smith (the sour counter balances the sweetness of the caramel) into small wedges and soak in water with lemon juice and salt. When you are ready to serve or leave your house then take the apples out of the water (do not rinse) and arrange around edge of plate.

Very easy and everyone loves it. I usually put an extra bowl of apples on the side in case I run out or if someone just wants to eat the apples.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    bump, I am in for that yummy sounding apple dip!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    My go-to is always steamed shrimp and cocktail sauce. Everybody (for the most part) loves it plus then I know I have some protein to eat!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my go-to side dish for a party is a cheese tray with 3 cheese choices, crackers, almonds, green olives, strawberries and salami.

everyone like chips and salsa/queso or chips with black and corn dip.

asparagus rolls - http://everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com/2010/10/asparagus-rolls.html

a dessert app option is snickerdoodle salad - a tub of cool whip with a package of white chocolate pudding mixed in, 4 apples cut in small chunks and 4 snickers cut in small chunks. easy peasy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have really been liking this Cashew Chicken Dip for parties because it can be made ahead of time, served cold, and everyone goes crazy for it as it is very different flavors than most party dips.

Ingredients
    Base
    8 oz cream cheese
    1 Tablespoon milk

Topping
    2 cup cooked shredded chicken
    1 tsp minced fresh ginger
    3 green onions chopped
    1 tbls soy sauce
    1 cup chopped cashews
    1 tbls chopped parsley
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 minced garlic clove
    Sweet and Sour Sauce

Instructions
    Base
    1.Mix cream cheese and milk together, spread on pie plate

Topping
    1.Mix all topping ingredients except sweet and sour sauce together and refrigerate one hour
    2.Spread over cream cheese and drizzle with sweet and sour sauce

Serve with wheat thins or townhouse crackers.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Tortillas (you could even find green (spinach) and red (tomato) ones if it's a Christmas party.
    Refried Beans
    Cream Cheese
    Cilantro, Chopped
    Chili Powder

Combine the cream cheese with the chili powder. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the tortillas and then slather on the beans. Sprinkle on the cilantro and roll up the tortilla. Slice into about 1 inch circles.
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In for some new appetizer ideas. :)
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Chicken Dip?
    Shredded Chicken breast
    RF Blue cheese crumbles
    Franks RedHot HOT wing sauce
    Heat so that the blue cheese melts.
    Celery sticks and pita points for dipping.
    Easy-peasy
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Jalapenos cut in half and seeded and then I fill with herb and garlic cream cheese and wrap prosciutto around and bake for about 15 mins

I also make a taco dip with cottage cheese...drained and put in food processor so it's smooth, mix in 1/2 cup cream cheese and some taco seasoning. I make that my bottom layer...then I top with chopped shredded lettuce, tomatoe and cheese and sometimes purple onion. Tastes delicious and fresh
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Prawn and stonefruit grilled skewers.

Marinate the prawns in your sauce of choice. I like to keep it simple with chilli, garlic and lime. Skewer prawns alternatively with 1/2 a stonefruit (eg peach).

Super easy, super tasty. And if it's a party, it's totally finger food!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Festive and yummy - grape tomatoes and spinach tortellini on toothpicks, arranged around a pesto dip.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tortellini-appetizers-2
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas in this thread!!

For a recent bachelorette party I made a Greek layered dip that was very popular. You could do it in a 9 X 13 but I used a 9 X 9 for the smallish gathering:

prepared hummus
    cucumbers, sliced thin & then chopped
    red bell pepper, chopped
    red onion, diced
    black olives
    feta crumbles

The Pinterest pin I got it from included lots of fresh dill but I didn't because I am not crazy about dill.

I served it with warm pita triangles because I hate pita chips
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Caprese Skewers:
    Marinated mozzarella balls, grape tomatoes, basil leaves (folded in half), all stuck on a mini skewer. Cute and simple!

Chicken Salad Bites:
    Premade tartlet shells (in freezer area near pie crusts) and premade chicken salad (Publix Supermarkets makes some delicious chicken salad). Fill each shell with the chicken salad - looks fancy and it's very tasty and couldn't be easier.
  • Kendarita
    Kendarita Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes... Always a hit! Lots of recipes online but I use feta and cream cheese mixed with bacon or tiny ham and chives... Yum! Use pastry bag or zip lock with corner cut off to fill tomatoes with cheese mixture, way easier than using a spoon :)
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mexican bean dip :D:D
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i just put this recipe on my blog today and i think it's really yummy. my favorite way to eat it was with a slice of fresh tomato, but my boyfriend enjoyed sundried tomatoes on his. something like balsamic or honey would be nice too, because the sweetness counters the saltiness of the feta. it's really easy to whip up in the food processor.

Whipped Feta with Herb Oil

fetadip3e.jpg

Ingredients

1 cup fresh basil
    1/2 cup fresh parsley
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    8oz feta cheese
    4oz mascarpone cheese
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Instructions

In a food processor combine fresh herbs, garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Blend well and transfer to another container – I used a liquid measuring cup so it would be easier to pour out over the cheese later.
    If you want your cheese spread to remain white, wipe out the residual oil and herbs from the food processor basin.
    Add both cheeses to the food processor and blend until smooth. Once smooth add the heavy whipping cream and black pepper. Pulse until mixture is creamy and light.
    In a serving bowl alternate adding the cheese and a drizzle of herb oil, ending with the herb oil on top. If desired top with toasted nuts.
    Serve with crackers, crostini, chips, fresh veggies, or whatever else you like.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump to keep the recipes coming!

I like to bring (tried to include recipes to all suggestions):

Asparagus spears wrapped in pancetta (can quickly pop into the oven at the locale) http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/pancetta-wrapped-asparagus-spears/Default.aspx

A side of smoked salmon sliced over a bed of lettuce and sprinkled with chives (bring along a side of bread rounds or rice crackers, some thinly sliced red onions, and some light sour cream or Greek Yoghurt mixed with Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning or a seasoning of your choice)... looks grand and everybody loves it. (no link because it is straightforward, just buy the salmon, and unpackage it, arranging the rectangle of presliced salmon over the greenery to look nice. I also slice it down the centre so that each slice can serve two people.

For winter gatherings, a pumpkin or veggie soup starter is always good as well; really cool if you serve it in shot glasses with an herb garnish. This one is cooked in the slow cooker, so you can prepare at home, then just plug in at the party. You might want to take some paper bowls and plastic spoons with you! http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-soup/

Teriyaki or other hot wings (baked or grilled from scratch... not fried) are also a popular choice for those watching their weight or not. Here are five recipes from a bodybuilder's site... so you know they are high in protein and taste good! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/skinny-taco-dip.html Serve them with light sourcream mixed with Greek Yoghurt and some buffalo sauce mixed together as a dip... yum!

Grilled chicken kebabs are nice too... lots of protein, and again, a crowd-pleaser. Try a smaller version of these http://www.foodiecrush.com/2013/06/grilled-lemon-chicken-skewers/ .

The Mexican Seven Layer dip with chips ( one bag regular corn chips in one bowl, one bag baked corn chips in another) made with light creamed cheese as well as fat free refried beans is popular, too, and you can have a few scoops and get yummy fibre, protein and a bit of calcium too with heaps of flavour! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/skinny-taco-dip.html

I like to take healthier choices so that if everything else is fried or dripping in cheese, there is something I can eat without blowing my calorie budget on appetizers!