Circuit Training Etiquette?

Options
I ran into an issue this morning and I'm hoping someone can educate me on what is appropriate etiquette for circuit training machines.

I work out every morning in my gym, as it is not very busy or crowded. I always use the circuit training area because I don't have much time. This morning as usual, I was working my way through the machines, I finished one machine and was waiting for a woman to finish the next one in line so that I could use it. It was my last machine in the circuit. She left the machine (without wiping it down, by the way), and went to another machine across the set. I began doing my 3 sets of 10, and was almost done with my 2nd set when the same woman came up to me and asked me if she could work in for the machine. I told her sure, I was almost done, I just had one more set of 10 and I'd be done.

She then began insulting me, talking about how I obviously don't know proper weight training etiquette, and that it is rude to sit on a machine between sets while other people are waiting on a machine. I explained that I just do 3 sets of 10 and I'm done. She continued arguing with me, so I told her then by all means, it's all yours, and I got off the machine to let her use it. Apparently that still wasn't good enough, because she continued to tell me how rude I was, and I told her it seemed to me it was more rude to interrupt someone's workout like she just did, and at that point I walked off. She continued ranting at me, but I have no idea what else she said, as I kept walking and put my headphones back on.

So was I in the wrong here? If it were a regular weight-training area (which the gym has, by the way), then I could see where she was coming from, minus the rude delivery. However, being as it is a circuit training area and the only breaks I took were long enough to shake out and stretch my muscles for a few seconds and then get right back to it, I don't feel I was doing anything wrong.

Anyone know the appropriate way to handle this?

Replies

• cpayagen
    Options
    You're lucky that you have a circuit training area. I frown upon circuit training at my gym because it's not practical for others in the regular weight training area. But to inform you on what circuit-training is, circuit training is using multiple machines for multiple rounds. For example, on a leg circuit, you'll use up the leg press, leg curls, and leg extension machine. You'll do 1 set of 10 reps at the leg press, move on to the leg curls and do 1 set of 10 reps, then move on to the leg extension for 1 set 10 reps and repeat with no rest. That's why the lady didn't wipe down her equipment, however; from what I'm understanding, you did the traditional 3 sets of 10 reps at 1 machine. For example you do 1 set of 10 reps, rest 30 seconds, 1 set, rest, 1 set, finished and this is all on the same machine. Now that's not circuit training, that's called "straight sets" so if this really is the circuit training area, then I can understand why the lady was mad. And by circuit training area, I mean they should have the same type of equipment/machines in the regular area, you should just be doing "straight sets", not circuit training as it's impractical for others.

BUT, it was rude of her to insult you by claiming that you don't have proper gym etiquette. Clearly you do (since you allowed her to work in), you just had a misunderstanding of what the circuit training area is. So all in all, both of you were "wrong" here, she just went about it the wrong way. She should've kindly explained to you why it wasn't proper etiquette in the circuit training area. I've had to tell circuit trainers at my gym why their workout isn't practical and they respect me for informing them kindly. One didn't take it so well and I never saw him again.

Here's the proper etiquette for the circuit training area. Use a machine for 1 set, then move on to another, then another, and come back to the 1st machine to begin the 2nd "round". Rather than sets, circuit training is based on "rounds". Usually in the circuit training area, you don't wipe down the machines until after your workout is over. Even if people don't do it, still wipe down the equipment you used unless someone already wiped it down.

But the proper etiquette for the regular weight area is do straight sets. After each set, stand up next to the machine until you're done resting then do another set. Standing up just lets others know that you're still using the machine, but you're welcome to let others work in if needed. And of course, wipe down the equipment :)

If I could ask, what gym do you go to? Just message me or something. I'm new to MyFitnessPal. I don't know how it works.

And like I said, the regular weight area should have the same equipment as the circuit training area. If it doesn't, then I think we might be talking about two different things. Just to clarify, there are no such things as "circuit training machines", just a circuit training area with machines. And if what you mean by "circuit training machines" are the machines that you stick pins in for the weights, then those are just regular machines. That's why I need to know which gym you go to because the only gym I know that has a circuit training area is "Planet Fitness". And if that's your gym, then that explains the rude lady :p
  • Nicolette0223
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I did get some clarification from my gym's administration regarding my situation. I work out at the Sports and Recreation Center of a local University that I completed my Bachelor degree at. (Alumni get a good discount rate for the year.)

To clarify, it is the weight machines in an area specificially designated for circuit training, set up in a circle. I was told that this area is specifically for patrons who are working through the machines in a circuit, as I was doing; not for people who are just moving back and forth between 2 machines as the other woman was doing. There is another area of the gym that has the weight machines that people can "work in" for as she was trying to do. This area is mostly a bunch of guys, so I can understand why she would prefer to use those in the circuit area, but even still, waiting a few more seconds for someone to finish would not have hurt her.

It seems like everyone has a different idea of what the proper "etiquette" is for the circuit training area. Some think you do one set at a time as you described. To me, this makes no sense at all. Why would I go back to a machine I've already completed, when the whole point of doing the circuit in the first place is to save time and still get a full body workout? I do my sets at that machine, wipe it down when I'm done for the next person, and move on to the next.

At any rate, I think most importantly, everyone should be courteous of everyone else using the gym. I go early in the morning because there are much fewer people there to share equipment with. I wait for someone to finish a machine and would think myself rude if I came up interrupting someone to ask someone to use a machine they were on unless I had been standing there waiting for it for an extended amount of time, or if it appeared the person wasn't really using the machine but hanging out on it instead.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Should have let her work in a set. She asked at an appropriate time to give you a rest while she did her set. There was no reason to decline her request.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not to throw fuel on a fire, but it seems that @cpaygen has the terms right.
    Here is the wikipedia entry for circuit training:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_training

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I have been wondering about such.
    Good to know and how other people see the topic.
  • Nicolette0223
    Options
    Actually, @jwdieter, I did not decline her request. I told her I was almost done and she could have it, but that wasn't good enough, even though I waited patiently for her to finish with the machine before I got on it. Also, she did not ask me at an appropriate time. She interrupted me in the middle of my set, not during my rest. But thank you for the input.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You were in the wrong. That area is specifically setup for circuit training and you were trying to do sets and reps but *call it* circuit training. You've got your definition of circuit training all wrong
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You were in the wrong. That area is specifically setup for circuit training and you were trying to do sets and reps but *call it* circuit training. You've got your definition of circuit training all wrong

This.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

This.

x2
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    There's one in every crowd. Sorry you had to run into one first thing in the morning. Good to ask for clarification by management at the gym. Sad that a person can't voice their opinion without being rude.
  • Jacson53
    Jacson53 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There's one in every crowd. Sorry you had to run into one first thing in the morning. Good to ask for clarification by management at the gym. Sad that a person can't voice their opinion without being rude.

Agreed.
    "Why can't we all just get along?" :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have seen worse...I could see why she might be a little agitated but no need to blow up about it..I mean you did let her work in...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

It seems like everyone has a different idea of what the proper "etiquette" is for the circuit training area. Some think you do one set at a time as you described. To me, this makes no sense at all. Why would I go back to a machine I've already completed, when the whole point of doing the circuit in the first place is to save time and still get a full body workout? I do my sets at that machine, wipe it down when I'm done for the next person, and move on to the next.

The point of a circuit is to move through various exercises, one after another. You do one exercise and move to the next, until finished, then repeat the whole circuit, instead of doing one exercise to completion. It saves time because the way it is designed usually works different muscles in the next exercise to give the ones you just worked a break so there is no rest time. There should be no breaks in a circuit, with the exception of a break after finishing the whole circuit before starting the next round.

What is the difference between what you are doing and what people do in the regular area of the gym?
  • Pr1c3rA
    Options
    Circuit training comes off as a rude and inconsiderate to me anyway. I guess I am just old fashioned.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Circuit training comes off as a rude and inconsiderate to me anyway. I guess I am just old fashioned.

How so?
    If there isn't a designated area, I can see how that would be. But considering there is an area specifically dedicated to it, and presumably everyone is using it the same, I can't she how it would be.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

This. You weren't doing a circuit, you were doing standard strength training. You were in the wrong if you were doing it in the circuit area.
  • DavPul
    Options

Not in the circuit training area it ain't.
  • DavPul
    Options
    What is the difference between what you are doing and what people do in the regular area of the gym?

Best comment in the thread
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

To clarify, it is the weight machines in an area specificially designated for circuit training, set up in a circle. I was told that this area is specifically for patrons who are working through the machines in a circuit, as I was doing; not for people who are just moving back and forth between 2 machines as the other woman was doing. There is another area of the gym that has the weight machines that people can "work in" for as she was trying to do. This area is mostly a bunch of guys, so I can understand why she would prefer to use those in the circuit area, but even still, waiting a few more seconds for someone to finish would not have hurt her.

It sounds like she was only asking to 'work in' because you doing multiple sets meant you would be taking rests and she recognized that. That part was polite of her.

The circuit style saves time because you don't rest between sets. In order to do that, you have to go back to a machine; otherwise you'd be resting on/at the machine and it wouldn't be circuit training. Or you could only do 1 set to avoid 'going back', I guess.

Her doing supersets (I think they are called when you alternate between 2 lifts instead of resting) is better in the circuit area than you doing straight sets, imho. She's still doing 1 set per machine and moving on, not resting there.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know there was such a thing as circuit training etiquette. I guess my gym doesn't have a designated area for it that I know of. Regardless, that woman should have just chilled and not carried on after you left the machine. I would think she was insane and definitely let her know that I was not 100% in love with her tone and attitude.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A quote by Mark Twain; Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.