strength training on a budget. plz help!

Options
i need to strength train, but cant afford a gym membership or equipment. what exercises can ce done at home and can have similar results as if i were to go to a gym or had equipment. I need to slim down my big belly!! (i already eat at a deficit)

Replies

• mylife4eva
    Options
    anyone??
  • chandlerah
    Options
    I recommend this routine, I started a few weeks back and rotate doing this circuit (now doing it twice), running and cycling.

http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2013/05/13/sevenminute_workout_just_as_good_as_a_long_run_scientists_say.html
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Download the "you are your own gym" app or get the book. There are many body weight exercises you can do for strength without special equipment.
  • StarflowerST
    StarflowerST Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and a set of hand weights.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Look into http://www.menshealth.com/
    they have books and articles of routines that you can do at home.

You can also make your own weights. Take a galon and fill it with Sand.

Get a bookbag and fill it with bricks..

Go to a park, run the bases
  • Piscesgrl227
    Piscesgrl227 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com - She has a ton of Pilates Videos which uses your body weight to help build muscle.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    I would also look into getting or making some sort of exercise straps. TRX, Jungle Gym XT, Blast Straps or the like. It is very difficult to train the upper back without something like that or a chin-up bar. The number of additional exercises you can do are amazing. With that I would suggest looking into the Bodyweight training group here. Lots of good links there. I second the recommendation of You Are your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. It is an excellent book on bodyweight training.
  • callumburnett
    callumburnett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have to understand that nothing can replace strength work with a barbell/dumbbells etc. Most exercise done at home will only increase your strength to a point after which you will be working more for endurance. Weigh a backpack down when doing press-ups and pull ups and get creative with adding weight to your body.
    You cannot gain much strength on a calorie deficient. You will make some gains at the start often refereed to as noob gains but these are to do with increased CNS activation and not actual strength. If you are serious about this look and see if you can do without some other luxurys in order to get a gym membership.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a bunch of exercise videos for FREE! One I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-XazWN7f68
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on craigslist and pick up some weights cheap!
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    Go on You Tube that site has almost everything
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into bodyweight training if funds are limited. Maybe check out You Are Own Gym, NerdFitness, or Convict Conditioning.

Bodybuilding.com has a really great exercise database that you can search based on equipment (or lack thereof).

Other options:

TRX Suspension (home edition). I believe it is about $200.

Using sandbags

There is a Cap Barbell Dumbbell set (w/ plates) on Amazon for about $50. It is about 30-35lbs to start. You can purchase heavier plates as funds become available.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-40-Pound-Dumbbell-Set/dp/B000VCDXNS/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386018141&sr=8-1&keywords=cap+barbell+dumbbell+set

Check out craigslist and Ebay for benches, plates, weights, etc.

Get an Iron Gym Bar. It's about $30 on Amazon and can be used for chin-ups, pull-ups, hanging leg raises and such.
    http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386018197&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+gym+pull+up+bar
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Don't forget heavy things in your house. Before I bought weights, I lifted things like my crockpot. Cans of soup or water bottles work. A gallon jug of water is 8 pounds. You also don't need to buy a rack of weights, you can buy hand weights and stretch tubes pretty cheap.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    that's easy: go on youtube for tae bo videos for cardio or just go for walks around your neighborhood. For strength training, do lots of stuff like push ups and yoga for great upper body muscles. Do chair dips for your triceps. If you can swing twenty bucks, you can go to walmart and get you some resistance bands. There are so many workouts you can do that work your entire body/muscles with those. This is the things I do for exercise anyways and feel so much stronger than when I first started.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    You have to understand that nothing can replace strength work with a barbell/dumbbells etc. Most exercise done at home will only increase your strength to a point after which you will be working more for endurance. Weigh a backpack down when doing press-ups and pull ups and get creative with adding weight to your body.
    You cannot gain much strength on a calorie deficient. You will make some gains at the start often refereed to as noob gains but these are to do with increased CNS activation and not actual strength. If you are serious about this look and see if you can do without some other luxurys in order to get a gym membership.

I disagree. When you are a beginner, using your own body weight is the best workout. I stand by my earlier post.
  • micherie1969
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv
  • jkuhnen
    jkuhnen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love deal-hunting and If you are patient, the Craigslist comment is dead on, you can find weights dirt cheap (10% of retail).

The bodyweight comments are probably true for 90%+ of the population as well. You can probably get stronger than would think possible just using household items (milk /laundry jugs etc.)

You can also google prison workout...I've had some friends doing time, (in facilities with no weights) who get huge.