Ground turkey??

Options
So I got a pound of ground turkey. It was only $1.75 a pound and figured I'd try it...what do I do with it? LOL

Never ate it before, I'm assuming that I can use it just like I do ground beef...but what are some good ways to use it?

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for homemade chili, tortilla soup, etc. Also good for taco meat. I can't tell a difference in those.

The one thing I DO NOT like it for is burgers. It's just not right for that... but for pretty much everything else you use ground beef for, I find it's the same.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Anywhere you use ground beef, you can use ground turkey. My husband and I have found that we make spaghetti with ground turkey, spaghetti squash and our own spaghetti sauce. It is so good!!!:love:
  • kstone1976
    Options
    I love ground turkey!! That is all I eat. I use ground turkey in place of ground beef. I use it with spaggetti, in enchilads, tacos, meatloaf, chili. I mean for everything.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Right, it can completely replace ground beef. We use it in spaghetti, turkey burgers, and taco's as well.
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    We used it for everything that you would use ground beef for. Now we use ground chicken for everything because it is cheaper. Personally I got burned out on ground beef growing up to ground turkey/chicken was a nice change.
  • queenofdisney
    Options
    meatballs, turkey burgers, tacos, burritos, meatloaf... any recipe where you'd use beef
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been using ground turkey (85/15) for about 4 years now. I love using it in spaghetti sauce, taco salad, tacos, meatloaf, and sloppy joes. I tried the 97/3 and I don't like it at all. Let me know if you need actual recipes. :smile:
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers, I completely forgot! I make mine with Frank's red hot sauce and provolone cheese for a "buffalo wing sauce" flavor.
  • twinsfan1976
    Options
    I made Sloppy Joes out of it once,,,, and only once. It did not taste very good at all for those.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, I use ground turkey in ANYTHING. It completely takes the place of beef in my house. It is so lean, and cooks up wonderfully. Chili, burgers, casseroles, tacos, meatloaf, the possibilities are endless. :) Mega difference in the way that it browns in comparison to beef...not one ounce of grease!! So lean, so healthy for you. The best part is that nobody notices it has been replaced, especially if you have picky eaters in the house! :wink:
  • SanDiegoUbermom
    SanDiegoUbermom Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Go here and try this WW recipe.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/healthy/weight-watchers/main/turkey-burger.htm

I made this and it was delicious. :love: I made extra for a "grap and go" meal and it worked out great. I even used them in omletes, salads and of course as a burger.

When I made my burger this last time, I didn't have any turkey bacon (which is good too...I use Oscar Mayer, it will crisp up just nicely for you if you like it that way) I added some blue cheese chucks and oh my was that great! :tongue:

I've started adding radishes to my sandwhiches and am enjoying the taste and texture it brings. "it's not just for salads anymore"

I hope you like it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Tried it a couple times, went back to ground beef
  • librarydieter2010
    Options
    It makes a good ground beef substitute in chili and in tacos, but you really need to season it up to do a burger and it can be very dry. However, I love to use it in meatloaf and meatball recipes. I subsitute it for 1/2 of the ground beef that the recipe calls for.
  • Utahbeth
    Options
    Mix some Garlic and spices in and it makes a Great Burger! :) But yeah, you can use it for anything that you'd use Beef for.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I quit eating red meat because of ground turkey. I enjoy the burgers, especially if you put some chopped green onions, onions, and spices in them they are awesome. Turkey meatballs are great as well.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i LOVE taco meat made with turkey, even more than beef. just cook on stovetop with low sodium taco seasoning and drain fat to prepare for tacos.

there's also a ton of turkey chili recipes out there. check them out!!
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've had turkey chili many times and I like it more than ground beef chili. I also had a turkey burger on saturday and it was very tastey! You can do anything with ground turkey that you would do with ground beef.
  • Chaoborid
    Chaoborid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We use ground turkey in place anything we used to use ground beef for. However, BBQ turkey burgers are particularly good, and very simple to make. Simply use ground turkey, green onion, bread crumbs (binder), and worcestershire sauce to taste. Absolutely fantastic on the BBQ. Enjoy!
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    We eat turkey birgers, meat loaf made out of turkey, and my kids LOVE sloppy Joes made out of turkey. I used a whole wheat bun and made sloppy Joes, and both my girls, 8 and 11 said you have got to make these again, why did we ever eat these unhealthy anyway! And we always use the extra lean which has 1 gram of fat for every 4oz. We LOVE TURKEY!