Lose Weight By Walking?

Options
I love walking, but I have tried running and seem to get tired very easily, If i eat 1200-1500 Calories a day and do 1 hour of fast walking, will i lose weight? Also any advice you could give me?

Replies

• bease418
    bease418 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    yes. I started by only walking 20 minutes a day and 1200 calories. I now walk more and eat more but I am down.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Make sure to vary your route with different hills so your body does not get used to your routine. My friend and I have been walking three miles each day we can, she has lost 30 pounds by also adding in some resistance work with light weights etc. Good walking sneakers are a must and replace them when the tread on the bottom wears out to make sure you are supporting your feet! Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    the main way to lose weight is through calorie deficit - walking will help you tone and feel better though and it does burn calories which is great :)
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think walking is great exercise. Running can wear out your knees. I know several people who have had to have knee replacement because of running. I walk daily and it sure works for me. Log your calories and drink lots of water.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Walking on its own won't make you lose weight, no. Only by eating less calories than you burn will you lose weight. However, all exercise, including walking, burns calories, so the more of it you can do, the more it will help keep you under your calorie goal for the day, so will indirectly help you lose weight.

Walking is just as good as running in this respect, except that obviously you will have to walk for longer to burn the same calories (e,g, you may have to walk for an hour to burn the same calories that you'd burn by running for 35 minutes)..

It's impossible to say whether you'll lose weight by eating 1200-1500 calories per day and walking for an hour, because you don't specify your height & weight details. Those figures would be a reasonable average for most women, but that's all. I suggest that you enter all your details into MFP and ask it to tell you how much you should eat (tell it you're completely sedentary). Then eat what it tells you, PLUS eat back 2/3rds of the calories it says you burn when walking as well. The chances are this will be somewhere in the range you quoted, but it'll be better if you are sure...
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Walking has made all the difference to my weight loss over the last year or so & it's only over the last few months I have been lifting some weights & getting on the cross trainer now my weight is down but before this walking was all I did & lots of it, love walking.
  • Rottie16
    Options
    Yes im 5'2 and 125lbs Thanks! :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise. If your daily walk (your exercise) is sufficient to put you into a reasonable caloric deficit, you'll lose weight, regardless of whether your body 'adapts to your new routine' in other ways.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've done it before, except I'm sure that I was eating much more than that. I ate at McDonald's and other fast food places for each meal and walked four miles in an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes-never ran or jogged. Basically, if your body uses up more calories than it needs, you'll lose weight.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I did not begin exercise, even walking, until I had lost over 90 pounds.

Exercise helps, but most weight loss comes from calorie deficit.

About 2/3 of my exercise comes from walking. I walk over 5 miles per day, everyday, 7 days per week, and use the elliptical in the gym at work M-F. My fitbit is my best tool for moving more.
  • idacrue
    idacrue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started walking the same day we started using My Fitness Pal. I have lost 60 lbs, and she has lost 30 lbs. Last night I did 6 miles on the treadmill. Eat at a deficit and get whatever exercise you can. If you like to walk, then walk at a brisk pace and use the Runtastic App if you have a smart phone.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Walking is good at first. Once you get down to a weight that doesn't put too much pressure on your knees (which you seem to be at for the most part already) you should start doing some more intense exercise. You're still young, so as long as you have healthy knees, you should be able to start running at some point.

Most of your weight loss is going to come from creating a calorie deficit through what you eat. You cannot expect to burn all of your extra calories through exercise.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of weight loss is diet. You'll get all kinds of exercise advice and exercise is great for fitness but your calories are where the weight loss comes from. I have no idea if you'll lose on any set amount of calories because I know nothing about you. If you're 90 and 4'10" then 1200 might be your maintenance but if you you're 20 and 6' then 1200 would be extremely under eating and not a healthy way to live.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I walk an average of 40 minutes a day (or bike 20) and I've found that I lose faster doing so. Is it as good as HIIT and spinning? Of course not... but any movement is good movement!
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Walking is my primary exercise, in addition to chores around my property. My old joints say NO! to running. You can lose weight with just a calorie deficit. But adding some exercise gives you extra calories to eat, which makes it much easier to stay on track, IMHO. Put your numbers in MFP and log everything accurately.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight walking. It's important to keep challenging yourself with either length, speed, or incline. It's not good to do the same workout each time, so consider challenging yourself on one front at a time. I want to be able to run, but also want to save my knees. So for now, I'm trying to build up to it.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying a heart rate monitor if you're going to incorporate walking into your exercise regimen, only because MFP tends to overestimate the actual calories burned. the last thing you'd want is to think you're burning 200 calories when you're only burning 100. That's when people eat back too many calories.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You'll also lose weight without the walking and by just keeping to the 1200-1500 calorie range. Sticking to the allowance is the key to weight loss.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I did not begin exercise, even walking, until I had lost over 90 pounds.

Exercise helps, but most weight loss comes from calorie deficit.

About 2/3 of my exercise comes from walking. I walk over 5 miles per day, everyday, 7 days per week, and use the elliptical in the gym at work M-F. My fitbit is my best tool for moving more.

+ 1

My Fitbit one & daily walking has made all the difference to me & my steady weight loss.
  • joyswift3
    joyswift3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yes!!! and be fitter!!!