running/jogging help

Options
I'm trying to lose weight and, while I'm ok at the diet side of things, I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to exercise. I use the treadmill at my university's gym once every now and again but I just run (average 7.5mph) for 20-30 minutes straight, without mixing it up. Obviously that's good for just increasing my calorie deficit but it's not fun and I can't motivate myself to do it often enough to increase my stamina/make any kind of difference.

I'm also completely confused by all the information about what/whether you should eat before and after a work-out. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't stand treadmills I have to get out on the pavement and the scenery, traffic and music keeps me from boredom. You could always mix it up so you do like 30second sprints or up the resistence for a bit, just play around with the treadmill until you find something that you like.
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is good. You'll not necessarily find the running a challenge like I did when I first started it, but having to run then walk might force you to mix it up a bit and vary things. Also, its designed to be done pretty much every other day so you'll notice a difference in what you're able to do comfortably.

You may already be too capable for it if you're running 20mins continuously as it is, but as I've improved my basics I've noticed that I'm now changing my stride length and posture and just generally getting a bit better
  • stanleypoobrick
    stanleypoobrick Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh yeh, I know lots of people find running outside more motivating. I get shin-splints though, and I find it to be worse when running on uneven floor, so I end up quitting much sooner if I run outside :--(

Couch to 5k sounds interesting! I'll definitely look that up. Thank you!
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't stand treadmills I have to get out on the pavement and the scenery, traffic and music keeps me from boredom. You could always mix it up so you do like 30second sprints or up the resistence for a bit, just play around with the treadmill until you find something that you like.

I agree with not being able to handle the treadmill. A night and day difference in my book. One of the great things about the road is all the choices...endless. If I have no appointments, many times I'll just start out and go "somewhere" for a predetermined time and then turn around with no regard to distance. No need to plan a course, just choose a time.

Or you can get onto a site like "Map my run" and use their map feature to design a course with a specific distance. Then you can run that without regard to time.

If you want to "change things up", you can simply run to a school track and run a few sprints before running home or elsewhere. Or run to and thru a hilly area. At this point in my life I am unable to do sprints without excessive pain, that's why I choose some routs with hills. big increase in exertion with no increase in joint pain (once you are used to hills that is).

It's even fun in the cold:) You are only cold for the first few minutes, but after that it feels great (to me at least). Same great exertion with less than half the sweat.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh yeh, I know lots of people find running outside more motivating. I get shin-splints though, and I find it to be worse when running on uneven floor, so I end up quitting much sooner if I run outside :--(

Couch to 5k sounds interesting! I'll definitely look that up. Thank you!

I get those real bad myself. Well... bad shin muscle pain at least (not sure if the "splints" are the muscle or micro fractures in the bone). I find that 2 things help me. pre-run stretch: before putting my shoes on I sit on my heals. The yoga "Thunderbolt pose" (had to look that up on Google.). Then it comes down to running form. What causes the pain is trying to keep your toes pointed upward as your leg swings forward, keeping that shin muscle in a constant state of tension. As my foot leaves the ground behind me (on the back stroke) I intentionally point my toes away. This continually stretches that shin muscle with each stride. It doesn't really even take any getting used to, just a conscious effort.

Now a-days my shins only "ache" on a normal run. The real pain comes when I have alcohol the night before. I assume because the alcohol dehydrates me leaving me with lower blood flow to the extremities. Did that just last weekend on a run with the wife. Where I can normally do 7 miles; last Saturday, after 4 drinks Friday night, I had to stop and stretch again at under 2 miles. Major pain:)
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i can't say enough about the couch to 5k program. it has its flaws but doesn't everything.
    I was never a good runner but decided i wanted to run 5k so i downloaded it. The first day i felt great. I woke up the next morning limped around the house and barely made it into my second run on the 3rd day. I gave it 2 weeks the pain in my legs went away and my breathing started getting easier.

By the end i found myself running in the rain and in the snow just because i enjoyed it. on what was suposed to be the last run of my 5k i ran a 10k distance and haven't looked back. Now i have started using the runkeeper app and website. it is more detailed than the extremely basic c25k program but is still enjoyable.

i am a big guy and find running on a treadmill to be nearly impossible so i prefer outdoor running. I have found that gravel roads and walking trails are easier on my legs.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Eating before or after a work out is entirely up to you. Some people simply get queasy running around on a full stomach, but I need a snack beforehand just so I don't burn out.

I found it really hard to increase duration on a treadmill.. soo boring. But when I run outside, it's pretty easy, because whenever I tack on a bit of distance, I have to go that much further to get back to my car/house. Intervals are another way to change it up, and even hill intervals. I plan on starting sprints to increase my overall speed. I'm only running at a 5.5 at the moment.

If you're getting shin splints, make sure you are getting in some good stretching. And look into investing in some better shoes. Get your gait analyzed at a running store and see what kind of shoe they might recommend. Thats the first thing I did when I started up a running program and I've never had a problem with my shins.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Eating before or after a work out is entirely up to you. Some people simply get queasy running around on a full stomach, but I need a snack beforehand just so I don't burn out.

I found it really hard to increase duration on a treadmill.. soo boring. But when I run outside, it's pretty easy, because whenever I tack on a bit of distance, I have to go that much further to get back to my car/house. Intervals are another way to change it up, and even hill intervals. I plan on starting sprints to increase my overall speed. I'm only running at a 5.5 at the moment.

If you're getting shin splints, make sure you are getting in some good stretching. And look into investing in some better shoes. Get your gait analyzed at a running store and see what kind of shoe they might recommend. Thats the first thing I did when I started up a running program and I've never had a problem with my shins.

Off subject but I love the medal, ok so I like a bit of orange but that's cool :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a good program for someone just off the couch, but if you can already run at 7.5mph for 30 minutes, You can already run a 5k.

however, treadmill and road running are two different beasts. I hate the treadmill. Getting out on the roads would be better. If you do continue inside, make sure the incline is at least 1.0.

It always helps me to have a goal. sign up for a Holiday 5k, get a training plan. See what your time is. If you like it, maybe sign up for a 10k and train for that.

If you're getting shin splints, either your gait or your shoe is wrong. Chances are the shoe. Go get fitted at a running store.

Eating is entirely up to you. I tend to have a small snack (apple, banana, this morning it was pineapple) about a half hour to an hour before running. That plus dinner the night before is enough to carry me through up to a 20 mile road run. For trails I will take food with me. You may need more, or you may prefer to run fasted. Its just something you have to play with.
  • Krista916
    Options
    If you're already running at 7.5 for 20-30 minutes you should already be doing a 5k or very close to it. There really is no since is trying the couch to 5k program. I think a 5k to 10k program would be more appropriate for you.

If you want to improve your distance, knock back your speed and go for distance. You will be able to increase your distance at a slower speed. You can also try intervals to increase your speed and distance. You could always move away for the treadmill all togehter and go for an elliptical or arc trainer.

I have to say that I agree with most...running outside is much more fun and relaxing then on a tread mill. It's more of a challenge too.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    What motivates me and makes it less boring on the treadmill is good music on my playlist and my headphones. Always great to run while rocking it out.