The Exercise Every Athelete Must Do

tim_fitbuilt4life
tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
The deadlift isn't just for powerlifters. Because it's a total-body exercise that builds strength, it can improve sports performance too, according to a new paper in Strength and Conditioning Journal. In fact, here are three variations of the classic move that can give you an edge on the court, the field, or even the slopes.

The best new exercises for every part of your body.

SUMO DEADLIFT
Roll a barbell against your shins and grab it using an overhand or mixed grip, your hands about 12 inches apart. Stand with your feet about twice shoulder-width apart and your toes pointed out. Bend at your hips and knees; without allowing your back to round, pull your torso up, thrust your hips forward, and stand up with the barbell. Lower the bar to the floor, keeping it as close to your body as possible.

Benefit: The greater range of motion allows you to move heavier loads, says Alwyn Cosgrove, C.S.C.S.
Great for: Football, rugby, wrestling

SINGLE-ARM DEADLIFT
Place a dumbbell on the floor next to your right ankle. Bend at your hips and knees and grab the weight with your right hand. Without allowing your back to round, stand up with the dumbbell as you thrust your hips forward slightly. Lower the weight to the floor, and then repeat on your left side.

Get more from your arm workout with single-arm negatives.

Benefit: The imbalance of weight builds the stabilizing core muscles necessary for rotational or overhead sports, says Cosgrove.
Great for: Skiing, tennis, track-and-field throwing events

CLEAN PULL
With your feet shoulder-width apart, roll a barbell against your shins. Bend at your hips and knees and grasp the bar using a shoulder-width, overhand grip. Keeping your back naturally arched and your arms straight, pull the bar up by thrusting your hips forward, straightening your legs, rising on the balls of your feet, and shrugging your shoulders. Lower the bar to the floor, and repeat.

Get a better body in just 5 minutes!

Benefit: This explosive lift extends your hips, knees, and ankles, which mimics jumping or sprinting, says Cosgrove.
Great for: Basketball, volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee

Replies

• jimbo13
    jimbo13 Posts: 1 Member
    thanks for the tips been lifting but need to add this to my sets
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Deadlift is an awesome exercise that works almost every muscle group in your body, but if you're going to do deadlifts you absolutely MUST make sure your form is correct. You can injure your back very easily if your form is wrong on deadlifts. Same with squats. If you're not sure on your form, find a trainer or someone who knows correct form and get them to help you get your form right.
  • MamaRandall
    MamaRandall Posts: 243 Member
    I always seem to have an incredibly sore back after doing dead lifts. I focus on keeping my back in good form, but still pain. I am going to keep the" thrust your hips forward" in mind and try again. This looks like a great workout to add to my lifting days, hopefully I can get it right this time! Thanks
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    The deadlift works your back so it is natural to be sore after. If it is "pain" then you probably aren't doing something right.

I love deadlifts. I have been strength training for about a year and my PB is 320lbs. Hoping to get to 350lbs in the next 6 weeks.

BTW those one handed ones are awesome!
  • bmoliv66
    bmoliv66 Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks, great post. I have generally stayed away from deadlifts and spent most of my time with squats, but I am looking forward to working these one armed ones in.
This discussion has been closed.