I'm not losing weight..HELP!!

Options

Replies

• rozmenoskid
    rozmenoskid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating 800 calories per day will slow your metabolic rate. You will lose the weight intially but there are 2 very important things to consider: 1. that is extremely unhealthy- ask your doctor, and they will agree and give you a multitude of reasons on how it will affect your body negatively. 2. Once you decide to eat like a normal person again and not lose any more weight, you will find it extremely difficult because your body will be in 'starvation mode'. That means that your metabolism will be slower than it typically should and all the extra engergy you now consume will be stored as fat.
  • abenudiz
    abenudiz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whomever said to eat 800-1000 calories a day is starving there body of ANY nutrients!!! THEY ARE NUTS!!! It DOES matter what you eat!! Even if you try and stick to caloric diet, eating the right foods IS what is going to help you lose weight!! You cant eat 1500-1800 calories of crap all day.... because the sugar and fat in those crappy foods alone will make you gain weight!!

Take it from me.... ive lost 120lbs by EATING!! 5 - 6 small meals a day. eat every 2-3 hours.cALORIES INTAKE IS BASED ON HOW MUCH YOU NATURALLY BURN IN A DAY, AND THE AMOUNT OF EXERCISE. Just cause I take in 1500-1800 a day doesnt mean that will work for you.

But you should Have protein, green veggies, veggies, fruit and healthy complex carbs, like quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes. Stay away fromt eh strachy carbs, like corn, potatoes, pasta, white rice, bread.

EXAMPLE of eating plan

Breakfast- such as a large egg white omelette with any veggies and ham.have it with a small bowl of strawberries
    mid morning snack have a greek yogurt.
    Lunch- spinach salad with 30z chicken breast, crushed walnuts, blueberries, and table spoon of olive oil/ apple cider vinegar. mid afternoon snack 1/4 cup of dry almonds with an orange.
    Dinner- Any protein (fish, chicken, pork- limit red meat - to once a week) 1/2 cup of quinoa, kale/ broccoli salad.

If you have a sweet tooth like me, buy dark chocolate 70%. Dont restrict yourself, cause the moment you do, you end up falling off the wagon. Your body needs fuel in its tank in order to give you muscles the nutrients to grow and the fat loss to fall off!! message me if you need more tips!

REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EAT!!
  • abenudiz
    abenudiz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    800-1000 calories a day----NUTS!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and 141...at my age it's harder to lose weight and if I can do it then anyone can....it's not specific foods that help...it's eating less calories than what you burn. Since we are small even a 1lb a week is hard as that is a 500 calorie deficit a day. You can eat the same and burn 500 calories a day extra or you can eat 250 less calories AND burn an extra 250 off...or any combination. To be honest a half pound a week is more sustainable and eating too little food or crappy food will end up being gained back. Choose greek yogurt, lean meat, fish, fruits and veggies and be active. I'm a college professor and if you are having trouble balancing exercise with study then take your book and get on a treadmill and read/study while you walk.....listen to a podcast while you run....pace the house while you read....in between chapters run up and down the stairs at home...whatever it takes. Just don't use "too busy" as an excuse.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    if you are only 5ft 2, I would suggest you would need a pretty strict calorie regime - 800-1000 calories, plus some exercise.

also i just noticed this nestled in there. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T EAT ONLY 800 CALORIES AND THEN ALSO EXERCISE.

Yeah, WTH with the dangerous advice here??
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Whomever said to eat 800-1000 calories a day is starving there body of ANY nutrients!!! THEY ARE NUTS!!! It DOES matter what you eat!! Even if you try and stick to caloric diet, eating the right foods IS what is going to help you lose weight!! You cant eat 1500-1800 calories of crap all day.... because the sugar and fat in those crappy foods alone will make you gain weight!!

Take it from me.... ive lost 120lbs by EATING!! 5 - 6 small meals a day. eat every 2-3 hours.cALORIES INTAKE IS BASED ON HOW MUCH YOU NATURALLY BURN IN A DAY, AND THE AMOUNT OF EXERCISE. Just cause I take in 1500-1800 a day doesnt mean that will work for you.

But you should Have protein, green veggies, veggies, fruit and healthy complex carbs, like quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes. Stay away fromt eh strachy carbs, like corn, potatoes, pasta, white rice, bread.

EXAMPLE of eating plan

Breakfast- such as a large egg white omelette with any veggies and ham.have it with a small bowl of strawberries
    Lunch- spinach salad with 30z chicken breast, crushed walnuts, blueberries, and table spoon of olive oil/ apple cider vinegar. mid afternoon snack 1/4 cup of dry almonds with an orange.
    Dinner- Any protein (fish, chicken, pork- limit red meat - to once a week) 1/2 cup of quinoa, kale/ broccoli salad.

If you have a sweet tooth like me, buy dark chocolate 70%. Dont restrict yourself, cause the moment you do, you end up falling off the wagon. Your body needs fuel in its tank in order to give you muscles the nutrients to grow and the fat loss to fall off!! message me if you need more tips!

REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO EAT TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EAT!!

While I agree with some of your post, you're repeating two very common misconceptions.

Meal timing does not matter to weight loss. Some people do very well with 5-6 small meals and others do well with one big meal or an 8-hour feeding window. Assuming no medical conditions, meal timing is entirely about personal preference and what each dieter finds easiest to stick to.

You really can eat sugar and fat and "junk" and still lose weight. Even if it makes up your entire day. Is it optimal for health? Maybe, maybe not. It really depends on what you're eating, whether or not you're hitting your macros, and eating a variety of foods to get your micronutrients. If someone can do that with foods commonly labeled as "junk" then more power to them.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Actually, if you eat 1500-1800 calories of whatever...as long as that has you in a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Actually, if you eat 1500-1800 calories of whatever...as long as that has you in a deficit, you'll lose weight.

Ya, I want an explanation as to how I'm losing a pound a week at 1550 to 1700 a day eating McDonalds, ice cream and pizza... am I medical anomaly?!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I feel bad that the OP got a few pieces of good advice hidden in the mess that is the rest of this thread.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Eating 800 calories per day will slow your metabolic rate. You will lose the weight intially but there are 2 very important things to consider: 1. that is extremely unhealthy- ask your doctor, and they will agree and give you a multitude of reasons on how it will affect your body negatively. 2. Once you decide to eat like a normal person again and not lose any more weight, you will find it extremely difficult because your body will be in 'starvation mode'. That means that your metabolism will be slower than it typically should and all the extra engergy you now consume will be stored as fat.

Bullfeathers. "Starvation mode" is something that happens to people WHO ARE LITERALLY STARVING. As in, rail thin, close to death, no fat stores left, etc. Overweight people who are trying to lose weight don't go into "starvation mode", that's just an old wives' tale. :huh:

And by the way, people who are in "starvation mode" (those who are literally starving) are still losing weight, so this concept really has no place in a weight loss argument except for when discussing advanced anorexia nervosa and related disorders.

Of course, eating 800 calories is not healthy for most people. But not because of "starvation mode".
  • akbaumgartn
    Options
    I am with you all the way in that I need more help getting to where I want to be. so lets try this
    1. get checked at your local gym or family doctor to find out exactly how many calories you should be intaking each day. this shouldnt be a guess for us. the professionals can help us
    2. stick to it.
    3. follow the rest of the suggestions with a grain of salt. I loved the stick to water or tea, have a healthy breakfast and dont starve yourself especially if you are working out.

hope this helps the both of us.
  • rozmenoskid
    Options

Bullfeathers. "Starvation mode" is something that happens to people WHO ARE LITERALLY STARVING. As in, rail thin, close to death, no fat stores left, etc. Overweight people who are trying to lose weight don't go into "starvation mode", that's just an old wives' tale. :huh:

And by the way, people who are in "starvation mode" (those who are literally starving) are still losing weight, so this concept really has no place in a weight loss argument except for when discussing advanced anorexia nervosa and related disorders.

Of course, eating 800 calories is not healthy for most people. But not because of "starvation mode".

My apologies, I guess my nutrition degree is invalid then. Btw, if you log in under 1200 calories into MFP, the following statement appears:

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum.

I guess MFP is wrong too?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

My apologies, I guess my nutrition degree is invalid then. Btw, if you log in under 1200 calories into MFP, the following statement appears:

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum.

Yeah, you should probably turn in your degree. I mean, tell me, O Sage, how a person who is overweight can be in the same metabolic state as a person with no fat stores to draw from, just because they're cutting calories a bit? You really think that if you dip below a certain calorie threshold, that your body takes all incoming calories and stores them as fat? WHAT DOES IT USE TO POWER THE BODY, THEN? :huh:
  • rozmenoskid
    Options

Yeah, you should probably turn in your degree. I mean, tell me, O Sage, how a person who is overweight can be in the same metabolic state as a person with no fat stores to draw from, just because they're cutting calories a bit? You really think that if you dip below a certain calorie threshold, that your body takes all incoming calories and stores them as fat? WHAT DOES IT USE TO POWER THE BODY, THEN? :huh:

'Starvation mode' is a layman's term meant to encompass both what you and I are speaking about. I am not saying you are wrong, I'm only saying that I am not either. You are describing an extreme case which holds true. I am only referring to the slowing of a person's metabolism when they don't consume enough calories. It's like how there are various stages of diseases - just because somebody is on the intitial diagnosis of specific disease, and another person is on the unfortunate end of it, doesn't mean they don't have the same disease. Regardless, we are both trying to offer advice to someone, and from what you have said, it's been relatively good advice. I don't want to turn this thread into something off topic, I truly wish you the best of luck on your weight loss goals.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Right now I am trying to eat 1200 a day (or more with exercise) and I try to eat:

*Progresso light soups (between 100-200 caloresi)
    *Green Giant Steamers like Garden Vegetable Medley and Brussel Sprouts (between 140-180 calories)
    *Almonds for the healthy fats (180 for a 1/4 cup serving which I measure out in a food scale and bag individual servings)
    *lots of hot tea (0 calories) with splenda or diet swiss miss hot chocolate (25 calories per cup) so I don't feel so hungry throughout the day - also flavored water
    *Breakfast I will eat Quaker Oatmeal (appx. 130 calories per pack) or butterball everyday turkey bacon (35 calories for 2 pieces)

I also like these foods because if you watch for them to be on sale you can get them cheap - about $1 per piece. Progresso soups will go on sale for a dollar a can about every 2 to 4 weeks at most grocery stores. Same for the Steamers; they will run 10 for $10 every few weeks. If you are on a budget, you can watch stores ads and then buy 30 boxes or 30 cans at a time and get a major discount.

I like these foods because they are prepackaged into servings (easy to track), relatively healthy, and provide variety, and they taste good. Also, I recommend a food scale (you can get one at Walmart for about $20), so that you can track everything you eat and make sure you aren't accidently overeating. A good example is an apple. A serving (medium at 154 grams) is 80 calories but a big one can be double that, so learning to recognize correct portion size is important.

I also take a multivitamin and currently supplement with Airborne (high doses of vitamin C and other nutrients - 25 cals for 4 tablets). Wheat germ is also good for high doses of vitamin B and only has 50 calories for 2 tablespoons. I just mention this so that your body is getting proper nutrients while eating lower amounts of calories.

I do not second this as a healthy eating plan. Almost no fats, only PUFAs from almonds which are not healthy in high amounts and in absence of other fats... All processed foods and then the person mentions "proper nutrients". Jeez, where are the fats and proteins?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Or an omelette with the yolks in, which is where you'll find all the flavor. Medical opinion seems to have gone in the past few years from they're just plain bad for you, to a more moderate four or less a week won't hurt most people:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

Most of the controversy is over how much dietary cholesterol is bad, and for whom.

I get my cholesterol checked twice a year and the number of eggs I eat doesn't seem to affect it … I've always had good cholesterol levels, it's the high blood pressure that's my problem. I suspect saturated and trans fats in one's diet is a much bigger factor than the number of eggs one eats for most people … if one has inherited the gene for high cholesterol, that's a different story.
  • krauseamanda
    Options
    Yes, I do beleive there is a science to what we eat and when we eat it. First off I would cut out all liquids BUT WATER! Always eat within an hour of waking up. Breakfast should always be the largest meal of the day, Never eat carbs alone......meaning having an apple for a snack is a good choice, but add a little PB with it, Only a tbls, but this will help process your carbs better. Try not to eat carbs after 2pm. Load up on your protein, they keep you full longer and stop cravings. The biggest part is not eating an hour before going to bed. And plan and prep out your meals a few days in advance. If all you have to do is heat and eat, it will stop you from eating empty calories. I have a cooler in my car everywhere I go, just so I don't get tempted for those fast food pit stops. Good luck to you, and keep on top of your exercise too!
  • krauseamanda
    Options
    This is NOT a healthy diet! All those foods are loaded with sodium ( which retains water) Tea is a diaretic just like coffee. Stick to water and natural foods. And eat! Not eating, will not help you lose weight. This is in response to the above lady advising to eat canned soups and turkey bacon.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do beleive there is a science to what we eat and when we eat it. First off I would cut out all liquids BUT WATER! Always eat within an hour of waking up. Breakfast should always be the largest meal of the day, Never eat carbs alone......meaning having an apple for a snack is a good choice, but add a little PB with it, Only a tbls, but this will help process your carbs better. Try not to eat carbs after 2pm. Load up on your protein, they keep you full longer and stop cravings. The biggest part is not eating an hour before going to bed. And plan and prep out your meals a few days in advance. If all you have to do is heat and eat, it will stop you from eating empty calories. I have a cooler in my car everywhere I go, just so I don't get tempted for those fast food pit stops. Good luck to you, and keep on top of your exercise too!

Just because you believe it doesn't make it true. I stand by my original advice, which is to aim for a balanced diet, eat whatever you like, and stick to a reasonable calorie deficit. No reason to complicate it.

I almost never eat breakfast. My "breakfast" happens hours after I wake up, usually around noon. I also eat whatever I want, whenever I want, with no regard to what time I'm consuming carbs or any other macro. I pay attention to my macros and try to hit those numbers for my nutrition, but WHEN I get my protein, fat, and carbs is not important. Dinner is always my largest meal of the day. I also eat late at night if I feel like it, and dessert is usually the last thing I eat. I drink lots of water, but sometimes I also drink other things, like orange juice or a mocha.
    Seems to be working out alright so far....

The key is really just to eat in such a way that is sustainable for you. Just log whatever you consume and stay at or near your calorie goal.
  • krauseamanda
    Options
    Not everyone can eat WHATEVER they want WHENEVER they want!! I think it is wonderful that you are able to do that! Most of the comments on here are all the same, when trying to lose weight you have to be aware of what you are putting in your mouth and when. If I was to eat at night I would gain. If I was to eat everything I wanted I would gain. We are all on here to help eachother and give advice on how we have found succes. We don't know what this person is eating and when, so I have given an opinion. If they take the advice great, if not thats ok too. Out of all the comments I really hope you find what works for you. Good luck.