Ground turkey??

Options

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what you use with ground beef.

I no longer eat ground beef and it's not in this house. Everything is ground turkey. Tacos, chili, spaghetti meat sauce, everything.
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey is all we use in this house. I use it in Spaghetti, Chili, for Taco meat, meatloaf, i make burgers out of it. When I use the ground turkey to make burgers, i season it with some dry mustard, a little pepper, mix it together, and there ya go!!!! Ground Turkey is so much healthier!!!
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We love ground turkey in our house! In fact, I made turkey burgers tonight. Just like a regular hamburger but with turkey. My husband actually prefers it over ground meat.
  • tracy39
    Options
    I make turkey burgers too and had them tonite! My whole family loves them! I put 1 cup of bread crumbs, tblsp of mint leaves, 1tsp of onion powder, 1tsp garlic powder and 1tblsp of soy sauce. Mix it together and broil it in the oven for 10 minutes. Yummy!:happy: I also use some red wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp of brown sugar to mix it together for a sauce. Throw a little red onion and cucumber in the sauce and toooda! You have a delicious turkey burger!!!:smile:
  • size3again
    size3again Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey is the only thing I eat... It's good with any and every thing. Spice it up or eat it plain it doesn't matter it good any way you want it.
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I have tried turkey bacon before and thought it was pretty nasty so I have been afraid to try the ground turkey.

I'll have to give it a shot. :)
  • LindseyAldape
    Options
    I actually made some really good ground turkey tacos today! I just put a packet of taco seasoning in with a pound of turkey and just lettuce a bit of cheese and some hot sauce on a warm corn tortilla... it was really good!
  • ErinMarie25
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I have tried turkey bacon before and thought it was pretty nasty so I have been afraid to try the ground turkey.

I'll have to give it a shot. :)

Love turkey bacon and love how it cooks so much faster than regular bacon. I actually feel disgusted eating red meat. I cannot do it.

They also make turkey hot dogs, italian sausage, breakfast sausage, etc. Everything I get is turkey. :) it's all very good!
  • nomoremuffintopness
    Options
    I am a little late to posting but my husband and I love this quick easy recipe

Mexican Casserole

Box of whole grain macaroni noodles
    pack of taco seasoning
    1b ground tky
    1 can of diced tomatos, drained
    1 can of mexican corn, drained

Cook noodles according to box instructions... brown turkey in skillet, drain. Add pack of taco seasoning, can of diced tomatos, can of mexican corn... mix all together once noodles are done. We love it.

you can also add beans or whatever else sounds yummy!
  • Tameer
    Options
    Make sure you are buying ground turkey BREAST. This will be the leanest.
  • daa5849
    Options
    So it sounds like everyone here is in one of two camps: you either absolutely love ground turkey and use it for everything, or something seems "off", didn't like it, etc.

I personally really enjoy using ground turkey, but I can totally empathise with the people in the second camp, especially because I am an unabashed red meat lover. However, I would like to give this advice to anyone willing to give ground turkey a second chance: try mixing it in with your regular ground beef. Sure its not as healthy as using all ground turkey, but it is certainly healthier than all ground beef. I think it would be a fair compromise to make a burger out of half 85/15 ground beef and half 99/1 ground turkey, for example.

Also I would like to point out that just like ground beef, ground turkey can vary widely in its nutrition and its quality. If you are trying to eat leaner, make sure you're not buying 85/15 ground turkey. Also for the record, I am NOT a fan of the ground turkey sold in the 1lb plastic rolls at my local Wal-Mart. The texture is wonky and it just doesn't taste nearly as good as other brands that I have had.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i use ground turkey in my red (spaghetti) sauce, for pasta!! i'm so spoiled with the turkey in it that i can't eat it any other way now .. it might not sound good but i promise you IT IS!! :) i love it
  • ErinMarie25
    Options
    Sometimes ground beef is indeed, healthier.

My reason for ground turkey everything is because red meat is not my thing. It's nasty to me and way too greasy no matter how lean it is. I was always drawn away from red meat.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i did sloppy joes once too .. lol it wasn't so good :laugh:
    I made Sloppy Joes out of it once,,,, and only once. It did not taste very good at all for those.
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is AWESOME. Make burgers, it is great in chili or my fav thing to do with it...use 1/2 lean groudn turkey and 1/2 lean ground bison (buffalo) and make that into burgers and FIRE UP THAT GRILL...TASTY TASTY TASTY
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Turkey Burger:
    1.5 lb uncooked ground turkey
    1 packet dry onion soup mix
    1 egg (or egg substitute)
    1.5 TBSP soy sauce
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

smoosh together, form 6 patties, cook in skillet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cook until 1st side no longer pink, flip and do the same thing.

Spinach stuffed turkey loaf (From sparkrecipes)
    Meat mixture:
    1.5 lb lean ground turkey
    1/2 cup italian bread crumbs
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 egg whites (or egg substitute)

Filling:
    1 10oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 cup 2% milk grated cheddar cheese
    2 tbsp parmesan cheese

topping: 1/2 cup ketchup
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp mustard

combine meat mixture, mixing well. Place ona sheet of wax paper sprayed w/ cooking spray, pat mixture into 9x12 inch rectangle. combine filling ingredients and spread evenly over meat mixture. roll up from the 9-inch side to form a 'log'. Press seam to seal. Place roll seam side down in a shallow baking pan sprayed w/ cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Combine topping and spoon over loaf. Bake another 30 minutes, or until no longer pink in center.

Makes 8 servings, 236.7 calories, 9.9 fat, 11.3 cholesterol, 700 sodium, 14 carbs, 1.2 fiber, 24.1 protein.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    love, love ground turkey! and i've turned my husband on to it too!

i use it for homemade chili, add veggies, diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, etc and you have a chili/stew.

i also use it for meatloaf. Instead of ketchup try your favorite bbq sauce, onion and garlic. YUM!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burger:
    1.5 lb uncooked ground turkey
    1 packet dry onion soup mix
    1 egg (or egg substitute)
    1.5 TBSP soy sauce
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

smoosh together, form 6 patties, cook in skillet sprayed with non-stick spray. Cook until 1st side no longer pink, flip and do the same thing.

Spinach stuffed turkey loaf (From sparkrecipes)
    Meat mixture:
    1.5 lb lean ground turkey
    1/2 cup italian bread crumbs
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 egg whites (or egg substitute)

Filling:
    1 10oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 cup 2% milk grated cheddar cheese
    2 tbsp parmesan cheese

topping: 1/2 cup ketchup
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp mustard

combine meat mixture, mixing well. Place ona sheet of wax paper sprayed w/ cooking spray, pat mixture into 9x12 inch rectangle. combine filling ingredients and spread evenly over meat mixture. roll up from the 9-inch side to form a 'log'. Press seam to seal. Place roll seam side down in a shallow baking pan sprayed w/ cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Combine topping and spoon over loaf. Bake another 30 minutes, or until no longer pink in center.

Makes 8 servings, 236.7 calories, 9.9 fat, 11.3 cholesterol, 700 sodium, 14 carbs, 1.2 fiber, 24.1 protein.

Thanks for this! It was JUST the kind of recipe I was looking for! Thanks!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for homemade chili, tortilla soup, etc. Also good for taco meat. I can't tell a difference in those.

The one thing I DO NOT like it for is burgers. It's just not right for that... but for pretty much everything else you use ground beef for, I find it's the same.

I use it for just about everything I use beef for. The trick with burgers is to add the cheese to the ground turkey and bake it. They reheat well too but the grill will end up too dry.

don't give up ground beef or beef all together, a little in moderation actually has nutrients our body needs!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump