Looking for vegetarian parent friends

Options
I stopped eating meat for about 7 months before I was pregnant. My ob/gyn advised me to go back to meat to get enough protein during my pregnancy so I did. I am now going meat free again and this time, I am not going back. I choose to go meatless mostly for ethical reasons. But I found that I just felt way better as a non meat eater. I do eat dairy products. I love me some cheese. I do not drink animal milk simply because I do not like the taste.

My daughter was born in March and now she is really starting to get the hang of solid foods. I want her to grow up meat free. I can already tell she is going to be an animal lover like me. She LOVES our pets! I want to make sure she will get adequate nutrition. I think the earlier I start her meat free, the easier it will be.

I am looking for some supportive meat free parent friends. Please add me!

Replies

• KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I admire you so much :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat for about 7 months before I was pregnant. My ob/gyn advised me to go back to meat to get enough protein during my pregnancy so I did. I am now going meat free again and this time, I am not going back. I choose to go meatless mostly for ethical reasons. But I found that I just felt way better as a non meat eater. I do eat dairy products. I love me some cheese. I do not drink animal milk simply because I do not like the taste.

My daughter was born in March and now she is really starting to get the hang of solid foods. I want her to grow up meat free. I can already tell she is going to be an animal lover like me. She LOVES our pets! I want to make sure she will get adequate nutrition. I think the earlier I start her meat free, the easier it will be.

Why don't you let your daughter decide for herself whether she wants to be a vegetarian when she gets old enough?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Why don't you let your daughter decide for herself whether she wants to be a vegetarian when she gets old enough?
    Yes. This is sound reasoning.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options

It's the same thing as raising your kids catholic or jewish. if she wants to raise her kid a certain way she should be able to without judgement.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options

It's the same thing as raising your kids catholic or jewish. if she wants to raise her kid a certain way she should be able to without judgement.

Exactly.
    You can also just turn it around - why can't she let her daughter decide herself if she wants to eat meat when she gets old enough?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Exactly.
    You can also just turn it around - why can't she let her daughter decide herself if she wants to eat meat when she gets old enough?

Hopefully she'll get enough protein and fat in her developmental years so she can make that decision later.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hopefully she'll get enough protein and fat in her developmental years so she can make that decision later.

Maybe the most ignorant comment I have ever read.
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options

She still has the choice to eat meat when she gets older...
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Why? Growing children need fat and protein. On a vegetarian diet, it can be done, you just need to pay closer attention to it. I have no reason to believe the OP won't be careful in that regard but you don't mess around with that sort of thing with children in their formative years.
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options

...I have no reason to believe the OP won't be careful in that regard...
    So why are you posting in this thread?
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

As a word of caution, and also because this is a public forum of which I am a member and I can post where I please.
  • cfredz
    Options

As a word of caution, and also because this is a public forum of which I am a member and I can post where I please.

that was a backhanded negative comment you posted. and completely (yet again) off topic.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

that was a backhanded negative comment you posted. and completely (yet again) off topic.

Negative? Really? I most certainly didn't start the cascade of negativity here. Perhaps the OP should post to a vegetarian group in MFP instead of the main forums to find support for her decisions.
  • cfredz
    Options

Negative? Really? I most certainly didn't start the cascade of negativity here. Perhaps the OP should post to a vegetarian group in MFP instead of the main forums to find support for her decisions.

Or, perhaps, you should stay off of topics that are calling out for VEGETARIAN friends. Not Carnivores. Especially if you're going to make remarks like you do.
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have not read the back and forth but I am a vegetarian myself (20 years now) and have kids (and a husband) who DO eat meat. I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste but am fine with making it for my family. Having said that, they probably eat less meat that your full meat-eating family.

So, if you want to friend me, please add me and I will be happy to share ideas that I use myself for meals. Also fyi I have never had low iron or B12 or whatever other ailments people say vegetarians have. I do eat cheese and eggs and fish. I don't drink milk because I don't like it. I was vegetarian throughout both pregnancies and did not have any problems. If any doctor told me to eat meat now I would probably be very sick (and likely change doctors). Some people say I'm not a true vegetarians because I eat fish and eggs etc. I think the term people use is "pescatarian".
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Or, perhaps, you should stay off of topics that are calling out for VEGETARIAN friends. Not Carnivores. Especially if you're going to make remarks like you do.

Do you not understand the concept of a public forum? If the op didn't want anyone elses opinion other than those from fellow vegetarians she should have posted in groups. You can't pick and choose who says what on a public forum. That is why there are so many groups here...geez.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

I made those remarks out of concern, and even if I didn't, I'll make them as I please because this is a public forum and I can post where I want, like I previously expressed.
  • cfredz
    Options

I made those remarks out of concern, and even if I didn't, I'll make them as I please because this is a public forum and I can post where I want, like I previously expressed.

sounded more like an attack than a concern
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

sounded more like an attack than a concern

No, an attack would be something like "You're stupid for making your child a vegetarian", which is something I did not say, meant, or ever WOULD say to someone.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was vegan in my pregnancy and my very old school doctor was surprisingly very supportive. I had a healthy 9.2# baby! I am raising her vegan as well. Feel free to add me!