Who here has gone gluten free? I have questions

Options
digitalbill
digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
Like... If I purchase a box of gluten free pasta, will it go bad faster then "normal" pasta?

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    No, it shouldn't. We keep rice pasta for months.

It's the same basic idea: starch ground up and shaped into... uh.. shapes.

PM me if you have any other q's also, I've been GF for several months now and completely starch and sugar-free for 8 weeks plus.

I feel AMAZING.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I just started to eat gluten free products! the rolls I had today were tasty but had a very odd texture to them. I'm going to need to get used to it! lol
  • cdurnil
    Options
    I also just started eating G.F products. I like the brown rice noodles, they seem like they will last just fine. Be careful of pre-packed things including canned fruits/veggies/beans unless they specifically say no gluten...
    Just some tips that I've experienced so far:
    I am soo tired all the time beyond reason,
    I am starving all the time
    and I can instantly tell if I've had Gluten.

Good luck and I am a beginner too but I have a decent knowledge of eating gluten free so you can ask me anything and Ill try to answer!
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    and I can instantly tell if I've had Gluten.

I can't say I'm tired all the time or starving... (did you mean before going GF or after?)

...But I'm right with you on knowing when I've had some. My right hand and my neck get all arthritic or something, stiff and cracking a lot.
  • BennettV72
    Options
    I've been GF for about almost a year. Feel free to PM me with any questions! :smile:
  • digitalbill
    Options
    These are all great replies folks.
    I have heard a lot of good things about going gluten free. Amazon food sells gluten free stuff online but, it is massive quanties. (like, 25 LBS of flower).
    Before I purchase a bunch of bulk stuff, I am just wanting to be careful of the spoiling..
    Obviously, I am WAY new at this so, I am hoping to learn as much as possible.
    I appreaciate the offers to PM folks but, if it is all the same, I would rather keep it on the thread so others might also learn about this stuff.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Can I ask why you're going gluten free? Do you have a gluten intolerance?

Eliminating gluten products in your diet doesn't really equate to being truly gluten free. You need to be aware of the hidden gluten in items. Carmel coloring contains gluten as do a lot of other preservatives, spices, alcohol etc. Also you need to be aware of how your food is prepared when you go to a restaurant for example if you get french fries are they fried in the same oil that they fry their breaded chicken fingers? Do they use a completely separate pan for cooking their gluten free meals? Are they using different cutting boards etc.

Also be aware that gluten free products have a lot of calories and added "stuff".

Yes, cutting down on gluten isn't a bad thing but unless you have a true allergy to it it's not necessary to cut it out 100%.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 4 months now, but instead of using GF replacements, I just don't use pasta and bread anymore. I feel amazing. So, sorry I can't really help with those types of questions, but I do encourage you to try it without using GF stuff. You need to be careful about the other stuff they may be pumping in there. I use spaghetti squash and vegetables instead of pasta, and when I want something baked, I use almond or coconut flour. It's really very tasty. Good luck!
  • digitalbill
    Options
    Can I ask why you're going gluten free? Do you have a gluten intolerance?

Eliminating gluten products in your diet doesn't really equate to being truly gluten free. You need to be aware of the hidden gluten in items. Carmel coloring contains gluten as do a lot of other preservatives, spices, alcohol etc. Also you need to be aware of how your food is prepared when you go to a restaurant for example if you get french fries are they fried in the same oil that they fry their breaded chicken fingers? Do they use a completely separate pan for cooking their gluten free meals? Are they using different cutting boards etc.

Also be aware that gluten free products have a lot of calories and added "stuff".

Yes, cutting down on gluten isn't a bad thing but unless you have a true allergy to it it's not necessary to cut it out 100%.
    My son is ADHD. Not terrible but, enough to make school work difficult.
    I REALLY don't like the meds to "calm him down" as it also makes him not want to eat.
    Another family with the same issues went gluten free and said that it did help with their son's concentration. In their case however; he did have some kind of bad reactions to gluten as I don't think anyone in my family does.
    I also read that cutting out gluten can help with migranes and, if it will keep my wife from having migranse, I will absolutly do it.
    I am hoping for an overall healthier lifestyle.
  • XXElmaXX
    Options
    I have to be gluten free. It isn´t easy to start. I miss bread and bread like products and using almond flour or coconut flour hasn´t been successful for me.

I just bought a book on amazon. Gluten free for dummies :D hahah
    I´m hoping it will help me :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Gluten free for three years, here are some things I've learned:
    Read labels, read labels, read labels... seriously learn terms that indicate that the food has gluten in it and read labels, don't assume it's gluten free just because it's not something that you would think would have gluten in it (did you know that certain brands of sour cream contain gluten?) or the label says gluten free: The FDA considers a product gluten free if it has less than 2% gluten in the entire product (so for example a can of soup can be labeled gluten free as long as there is less than 2% gluten in the entire can). Also manufacturers are not required to notify the public if they change a formulation of a product so that gluten free sour cream that you so love could potentially have gluten in it the next time you buy it.

Most gluten free products do have fewer preservatives in them so keep things like bread, baked goods, and flour in the fridge for it to last longer.

Gluten free food tends to be higher in sugar than their gluten containing counterparts, this is why many people who go gluten free just to lose weight don't (my step-grandmother was insistent that she could lose weight on a GF diet because I have, she doesn't get that the reason why I can lose weight on a GF diet is because a) I have an anaphylactic allergy to gluten and b) I did my research and portion control my GF products very carefully and c) I cut back on bread carbs in general and started getting my carbs from eating fruits and veggies instead)

When you eat out, ask questions, the more you know, the better off you are. When I go out, if I know where I'm going, I will preplan by reading the menu online, if I can't, I always have a base plan for eating out and I make sure my server is aware of my gluten allergy so my food can be prepared with care or they have the opportunity to warn me that my food choice may be potentially contaminated. If you know you have occasions that you will be eating in a fast food restaurant, it may not always be that you can ask for a salad with chicken or a burger without a bun, remember a lot of the foods, including the meats, in fast food restaurants contain preservatives, one of them can be gluten.

Always keep researching and learning, things change, best of luck
  • digitalbill
    Options
    So, I just went shopping at "Whole Foods".
    First, let me say that, while the store and employees were nice, my fellow shoppers put the "D" in douchbag.
    With that said, I bought dinner for tomorrow night.
    Pasta, pasta sauce, rice, and cake mix.
    All gluten free.
    I also picked up a bag of Chili and lime tortilla chips which are actually pretty good.
    So, we will see how dinner turns out tomorrow night.