Christmas "Adopt a Family" - Crafty people help?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
We have a program in our town to "Adopt a Family" for Christmas gifts through our Homeless Assistance organization.

One of the kids on my list is a 14 year old girl that would like "Craft Things." That's the only description I have... I do not craft! At all... The idea of scrapbooking makes me nauseous just thinking about the blank page staring at me.

Anyhow, what ideas do you have for gifts for this girl? I seriously have no clue... Budget is $50.

Replies

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Loom
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Loom
    ask a crafty question, get a crafty answer....\m/
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    ^^I was going to suggest asking Crafty...ha
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Rainbow Loom

*swoon* they even make Latex Free Silicone Loom Bands :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    amazon has some neat crafting sets...i was looking up drawing sets for my lil sis who likes to draw anime. Put in scrapbooking or art sets...could probably find a nice one for under $20. see your budget yeah for $50 you could find a very nice one.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Walk into Michael's or JoAnn Fabric store and go to the kid's area.

Glitter glue (my daughter loves this *kitten*)
    Sewing/needle point kits
    pre-made pottery that she can paint
    Scarf/knitting kits
    jewelry making kits

it's endless
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Having an 8 year old daughter qualifies me. I just researched and bought her first sewing machine. Two ideas.

1. Colored duct tape. Don't ask. $3 a roll, many colors out there.
    2. Wire jewelry kits, available at Hobby Lobby and such. These run ~$20 for a starter kit.
    3. Whatever _crafty_ recommends. Clearly she knows.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Jewelry making was my first thought... and I do love Hobby Lobby, so an excuse to go there is pure winning.

And the colored duct tape?? Right up my alley :)

Thanks guys... looking at them all :) Appreciate it!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Scrap book stuff
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Get her a drop spindle to learn to spin wool into yarn.

I just learned how to do this and it's a challenge, fun, calming, and eventually could lead to some cool duds.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Make sure to use the coupons at Michaels, Joann's and A.C. Moore, it will make that $50 go even further :laugh:

Jewelry making kits are a great thing for a young lady, not only will she be able to make things, but she will be able to wear it as well. Michaels has excellent starting kits for jewelry (remember that coupon).

Then you could also buy a scrapping kit, it starts you out with a scrapbook, different page setups and ideas. Just make sure if you go that route, get an adhesive tape (with refills), a small cutter, a good pair of scissors, and maybe some stickers, a small set of markers (from the scrapping section) and extra fun papers. Again, coupon, coupon, coupon.... I started my daughter out that way a few years ago and ended up getting her a ton of stuff for scrapbooking for around $40.

These are my 2 favorites for that age group, but if you don't care for either of them, you can look at some of the other kits like sand art, candle making kits, there are lots of different kits out there, just make sure you look at the suggested ages on the package... You don't want to get her a kit that is too young. That could be boring for her.

Have fun with it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Loom

These are all the rage right now. The "new" freindship bracelets. I even saw these at 5 Below.

I agree with Askeates too .....I love Michael's for crafty things...lots of kits and coupons in the Sunday paper.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    enhanced-buzz-8888-1354229230-1.jpg

I'm not crafty, but totally want to make these.
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    Knitting and crocheting are making a big-time come-back. How about some yarn and needles?
    Lots of patterns on the internet.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The Rainbow looms or similar sets are very popular right now. I ordered some for my daughter and nieces. Do a google search for rubberband looms or something like that, and you should be able to find good deals. I think I paid like $18 for 3 of them.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    1: Rubber band kit
    2: Duct tape kit
    3: Yarn, not only to make little things with but there are some really cool "arm" or "finger" scarfs that can be made.
    4: Small paint set??
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Blank note cards (don't forget to include stamps so she can mail her cards), decorative edge scissors, tacky glue, glitter glue, decorative hole punches, scrapbooking paper in fun patterns (they come in books so the papers coordinate. The different knitting looms are popular now also. Go to your nearest craft/fabric store and I'm sure a clerk can help you out.
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    Also, just saw an ad for Coloured Sand Art kits at our local Michael's for $8.