Portabella Mushrooms

Options
I bought some for the first time. I need ideas on what to stuff them with (no meat)

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have never tried to stuff them. I just slice them up and add them to my regular foods, scrambled eggs, pizza, etc.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    they are delicious made up like a pizza. Sauce, veggies, cheese-bake until done. I also like to mix chopped mushroom with cream cheese, parsley and Parmesan and top the portabella then bake again. (I usually add some meat too, but you can easily leave it out).
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you bought the big caps, you can grill or cook them like a burger and eat them on a bun. Mmmmm.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe online that's like philly cheese steak...but with shrooms instead of steak. my husband (who doesn't like mushrooms) actually ate 1 1/2 sandwiches before the texture made him stop.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    they are delicious made up like a pizza. Sauce, veggies, cheese-bake until done. I also like to mix chopped mushroom with cream cheese, parsley and Parmesan and top the portabella then bake again. (I usually add some meat too, but you can easily leave it out).

Yum - think I might try a mushroom pizza with lunch today.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sautee some onion, zucchini, bell pepper and the stems from the caps. Add a little thyme and garlic, stuff the caps and bake until they get soft (around 20 minutes) and voila =)
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Yummy!! The pizzas sound really good!
  • AmyJoShanks
    AmyJoShanks Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Top them with roma tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, slices of fresh mozerella and broil until the cheese is starting to brown.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you bought the big caps, you can grill or cook them like a burger and eat them on a bun. Mmmmm.

This. I usually mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and minced garlic and drizzle over both sides of the mushroom caps then I stick them under the broiler in the oven for 3 mins per side. They'll fill your kitchen with smoke but man are they delicious topped with some goat cheese!!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Oops. I didn't realize that someone posted the same sort of recipe. It's really yummy!

This is what I've done.

Brush entire mushroom with a little olive oil
    grill
    then drizzle with a good quality balsamic vinegar

I've used this delicious mushroom as a vegetarian burger with a nice sesame bun. So good!
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hey.
    I love portabella mushrooms,i use them a few ways.
    1)make them into a pizza. Preheat the oven to 350. them take the stems out of them. Lightly brush olive oil over the mushrooms and put them in the oven on a baking sheet for about 10 mins. Then get out your favorite pizza toppings. When your mushrooms are a little crispy take them out put on the sauce, your toppings, and cheese. Put the mushrooms back in the oven long enough for the cheese to melt. Even my husband loved these and he is not a fan of healthy lol.

Other absolute favorite it to cut them up and cook them in minced garlic then place them on top of cooked chicken with cheese and put it back in the oven till the cheese is melted. Really yummy this way.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey.
    I love portabella mushrooms,i use them a few ways.
    1)make them into a pizza. Preheat the oven to 350. them take the stems out of them. Lightly brush olive oil over the mushrooms and put them in the oven on a baking sheet for about 10 mins. Then get out your favorite pizza toppings. When your mushrooms are a little crispy take them out put on the sauce, your toppings, and cheese. Put the mushrooms back in the oven long enough for the cheese to melt. Even my husband loved these and he is not a fan of healthy lol.

Other absolute favorite it to cut them up and cook them in minced garlic then place them on top of cooked chicken with cheese and put it back in the oven till the cheese is melted. Really yummy this way.

But mushrooms *are* my favorite pizza topping. Mushroom-topped mushroom pizza? mmm
  • basowner
    basowner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I keep them whole and grill them with parm cheese on top.
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love them stuffed with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and onions. So delicious!
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love them stuffed with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and onions. So delicious!

Grilled or baked..
  • strong_enough
    strong_enough Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I stuff them with baby spinach, onions, peppers and goat cheese. Then grill or bake them.