So what is Tabata?

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
What exactly is Tabata, and is it just a bs fad? I'm looking for something simple and varied to do in my off days that is more cardio/endurance focused.

What about these crossfit WODs?

Replies

• ddavies919
    ddavies919 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Tabata is a timed, circuit training workout. You do one exercise for 20 sec, take a 10 sec break and so on. I like it. It can be intense and burn lots of calories! I've actually formatted my P90X class in a tabata style, with longer circuits.

With crossfit, you almost have to look up what some of the exercises are if you aren't familiar with them. I love crossfit too but it's too damn expensive!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It is HARD if you do it right...and I feel that it is more about cardio/endurance than about actual "muscle building" so it is a great off day option.

There is a .99 cent app called TabataPro that you can program to beep and whistle at you for the intervals - this makes it way easier than trying to look at the clock. The other thing I like is that most Tabata's only require a chair (tricep dips) and a mat so I can do them in the hotel room (i travel a bit for work).
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    :wink:

There is a .99 cent app called TabataPro that you can program to beep and whistle at you for the intervals - this makes it way easier than trying to look at the clock. The other thing I like is that most Tabata's only require a chair (tricep dips) and a mat so I can do them in the hotel room (i travel a bit for work).

There is a free app too, "HIIT" that has similar features.

Tabata is evil. :laugh: It is as hard as you make it. From what I've learned about it, you want exercises that incorporate bigger muscle groups (so no just doing bicep curls). The ones I do the most are pushups, jump lunges, shoulder pushups, and jump squats. They can also be done with sprints, and I've done stairs too.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

FYI, those aren't fitness models in the article. That's the cast of Duck Dynasty after a Tabata session and a shave.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    What exactly is Tabata, and is it just a bs fad? I'm looking for something simple and varied to do in my off days that is more cardio/endurance focused.

What about these crossfit WODs?

I don't know if Tabata is a fad but I've been a fan since 2004 or so. Sounds perfect for what you want.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

What makes you say that out of curiosity?
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I love the rhythm of Tabata. The scheduled 10 seconds rest makes everything seems easier, IMO. You still work very very hard of course.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what that is
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Tabata and Crossfit WODs are definitely not something to do on your "off" days.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ok, so Tabata isn't a program or routine, but a training protocol (a set of rules/guidelines). It's a subset of HIIT, developed by a Dr. Tabata back in the 90s.

It's simple:

+ 10 Minute Warmup
    + 8 Intervals
    - 20 Seconds All Out Exercise
    - 10 Seconds Rest
    - Repeat

The exercises in his initial research were done on stationary bikes, *similar* to "Wingates" with very short rest periods.

The point of the 20 second intervals is to completely tax yourself doing full body work (squats don't count, because they can't be done with sufficient intensity, nor do planks), so to do it right you have to be mindful of what you choose.
  • misskaela206
    Options
    I LOVE Tabata!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

What makes you say that out of curiosity?

"licensed exercise system"
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of "fake" Tabata's out there. People who state they do Tabata for 45 minutes AREN'T doing Tabata protocol. 8 circuits of Tabata ISN'T Tabata protocol.
    It's rare to see anyone really apply Tabata because it's ALL OUT EFFORT on EVERY cycle. That means if you're sprinting, you're sprinting on all 8 cycles for the full 20 seconds. By round 3 many people are jogging and not sprinting full out.

So what are most people really doing? HIIT training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Great link...posting so I can find it again...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of "fake" Tabata's out there. People who state they do Tabata for 45 minutes AREN'T doing Tabata protocol. 8 circuits of Tabata ISN'T Tabata protocol.
    It's rare to see anyone really apply Tabata because it's ALL OUT EFFORT on EVERY cycle. That means if you're sprinting, you're sprinting on all 8 cycles for the full 20 seconds. By round 3 many people are jogging and not sprinting full out.

So what are most people really doing? HIIT training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I would say that "Tabata" is just a subset of HIIT training. There is nothing magic or sacrosanct about it--it is a "protocol" that was chosen to fit a research study. Tabata himself has tacitly admitted as such by "approving" so-called "Tabata" workouts that have nothing to do with the "protocol" used in his study, other than the 20:10 ratio. IMO, the biggest appeal of "Tabata" training (other than people chasing the newest "in" thing in exercise), is the fact that, tough as it is, a 20-second work ratio is something that a greater number of people can tolerate (as opposed to a longer interval).