Help from 5'5 people (or anyone please!)

Options
Hi everyone I'm 5"5 in my 20s I was 112lb now in my 30s (im 33) I'm 137lb and going insane as the weight is not budging at all-actually it's slowly going up even though I'm doing nothing different to my 20's!!!!! Judging by everything I read its 100% my calorie intake (and metabolism apparently) so can all you 5"5 people tell me how many calories you consume and how many you burn please to actually be loosing weight!!!

Thank you all so much xxx

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't doing anything different? Did you track calories in your 20's to know how much you ate, how much you exercised? Most of us tend to start doing less and eating more as we age. It doesn't have to be a lot but it just keeps creeping up as time goes on.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary would be helpful.

I am 5'5 and eat at least 1800 calories a day when dieting. I am also active.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" but I can't give you a number. There are many factors...including age (as you know)......I'm post menopause and my TDEE (see below) is pathetic. Those who have a good muscle mass % will have a higher number. My number is lower than most because I tried to lose weight too quickly and did no strength training (huge mistake).

Look up your BMR (basal metabolic rate) ..... calories needed if you stayed in bed all day

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure .... calories you use based on activity level (including exercise)

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Use a number higher than BMR .....and lower than TDEE
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6, 32 years old, and started at about 135. I consumed around 1700-1900 calories while losing weight, but also worked out a ton and played sports several times a week.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 29 years old.I eat in the range of 1500-2000 calories depending on my workout. I have lost about 29 pounds in 8 months and the last few months have been very very slow weight loss and i like it that way.
  • misscv
    Options
    Thanks for the replies I definitely did eat less and move more in my 20's but this isn't as easy now however sticking to 1200 calories a day tends to lead to weekend binges as I feel so deprived all week, I exercise at least 3 times a week this includes weights and intervals and a run (3-6miles) once a week last week I burnt 2000 calories in exercise stuck to 1200 most days (rarely eat exercise cals unless I'm going out) my question is do I up the daily calories to stop the wkend binges or suck it up and be stricter while sticking to 1200?? In my 20s I would often eat 800-1200 and burn a lot more than I do now but I realise this is unrealistic for me now and also a unhealthy approach especially when I have a daughter!!! Thanks for any advice xx
  • misscv
    Options
    Ok basically what I need to know is do I stay at 1200 or increase them?? If honest my weekends do turn in to binges if I have a "cheat meal" as I feel so deprived the rest of the time???!!! X
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok basically what I need to know is do I stay at 1200 or increase them?? If honest my weekends do turn in to binges if I have a "cheat meal" as I feel so deprived the rest of the time???!!! X

INCREASE them.

1200 NET calories = the calories you eat minus exercise. Eat 1800 ....exercise 600 = 1200 NET.

1200 NET is as low as MFP will go. The fact that you feel deprived (not sustainable).....means you need to increase your calories.

Look up your BMR to get a feel for where your calories should be. Not eating enough and exercise is a recipe for muscle loss. Active people need more fuel than sedentary people.
  • cheriebery
    Options
    I would say if you're overeating from feeling deprived, that you might consider increasing your daily caloric intake by building in little treats that aren't cheats but are satisfying and rewarding to you. You might also consider ways to increase the volume of food you're eating without increasing the caloric intake too much by changing the food you're eating slightly. This concept used to be called volumetrics but I don't know if that idea is still around.

You can increase your food volume in a couple ways. One way is to increase the portion sizes slightly of the foods you're already eating. Another way is to find new foods that are very low in calories so you can consume a larger volume and still stay on target calorie wise. Another way would be to modify foods you like by reducing the sugar or fat content, where most calories come from, by using sugar substitutes and lower calorie fats.

There is also the option of eating more and exercising more to compensate. The point is, if you're wanting to overeat every weekend you'll need to change something to be successful. You could use a combination of the methods I've suggested and ideas others suggest. Ultimately, you will probably have to try a few things until you find what works for you. Hang in there and you'll get through this! :wink:
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight or just to stop gaining? You're right in the middle of a 'healthy' bmi. Your bmi in your 20s was at the very lowest it could be and remain in the 'healthy' range.

Having tried 1200 briefly (for about a day!) I don't think it's a reasonable aim for anyone who likes food. I'm 5 ft 5 and eating about 1400-1500 - and aiming to get DOWN to 140!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat- but i'm 30. Doing everything I can and the weight ISNT MOVING!
  • mbagradstudent
    Options
    I could have written this post. I'm 5'5 and in my early 20s I was 115. Now that I'm just shy of 30 I weigh 129lb. I would say my weight gain was due to an increase in muscle mass and drinking alcohol on the weekends. I've been trying the Net of 1200 as well and it's not doing much. My weight isn't moving downward at all for months.

I also sit at a desk all day long now versus when I was in my early 20s and I walked city blocks to work or stood all day. I'm just trying to lose 10lbs...I don't need to be 115 again. 120lb would suit me just fine.

But I know I retain water. Muscle weighs more than fat. And those glasses of wine on the weekend aren't helping.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I try to stick to 1200 a day I end up overeating way too often as well, and it "undoes" my hard work. I've found that if I keep to a more modest calorie deficit, I am able to stick with it without "binging". I don't like the word "binge" because that's not what I do. I just eat too much junk occasionally, and I think the actual definition of "binge" is eating a massive amount of calories in a short, frenzied feeding session.

Anyway, maybe try 1200 net, as in, eat back your exercise calories? If that still leads to eventual overeating, maybe calculate your calories needed on MFP and then set it to only lose 1/2 a pound a week. That amount of calories should be livable for anyone, as long as they choose healthier, more filling foods. Better to lose slowly than not lose at all because you overeat after getting sick of starving all the time.

Another strategy that I've decided to adopt that may work for you is finding out what your TDEE will be once you reach your goal weight. So if your goal weight is 112, plug that into a calorie needs calculator and find out what you will need to maintain at that weight. Set that as your calorie goal now, and never go over it. Theoretically, you should eventually weigh 112 pounds just doing that, even if it takes a long time to get there. You can also eat less calories than that for faster progress, but on days when you feel like you just can't do it, you can eat at the higher end without worrying about gaining weight.

Hope that makes sense and helps!
  • misscv
    Options
    I absolutely want to loose weight I've never weighed what I weigh now and have no clothes that fit!!!! I feel I'm trying so hard with no results-if I'm honest I was barely eating to be such a low weight before but now id be happy just to get to 126 but the scales aren't moving and I get so disheartened and feel so deprived I'm either miserable or binge?????? Xx
  • drshona
    drshona Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I absolutely want to loose weight I've never weighed what I weigh now and have no clothes that fit!!!! I feel I'm trying so hard with no results-if I'm honest I was barely eating to be such a low weight before but now id be happy just to get to 126 but the scales aren't moving and I get so disheartened and feel so deprived I'm either miserable or binge?????? Xx

Eat more calories and accept it will take longer to get there, but at least you won't feel miserable and then binge.