Vegan foods

Options
Hello,

I started a vegan/low fat/low glycemic index food eating plan last month. Hoping to share experiances, ideas, and recipies with anyone interested.

Replies

• rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been vegan for about eight months now so I'd be happy to share recipes/idea/advice.
  • redcat72
    redcat72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, great! Do you have a favorite grocery store with a good variety of vegan products?
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I love this website http://fatfreevegan.com/. Lots of great ideas and recipes.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    new vegan - feel free to friend :) my diary is open.

Trader Joes and whole foods have plenty of vegan options if you have either of those shops around you :)
  • kayleygrav
    kayleygrav Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a year. I really love this site for recipes http://ohsheglows.com/ I love her chilli, shepherd's pie and pumpkin pie recipes. I also follow a gluten free diet so sometimes I have to alter recipes but feel free to PM me if you want any other info :)
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan a little over a year. My local grocery store is awesome, but local to Puget Sound area. My favorite thing about them have to be the bulk bins. Lots of beans and grains :) I don't purchase specifically vegan foods too often since I can make a cheaper, healthier, version at home, but I'll highlight some I've tried and enjoyed.
    Field Roast sausages are bomb-tastic (I get a variety pack at Costco). My mother-in-law bought a couple of their quarter loaves for me for Thanksgiving (lentil sage and the mushroom one), and I'm not crazy about them, though I like them nutritionally more than the sausages.
    Daiya is my favorite vegan cheese.
    Quorn's vegan burger patties
    The only Tofurkey product I've tried is the pizza, and it's a cheaper, tastier alternative to most other joints' cheese-less veggie pizza.
    Amy's - Don't like the minestrone, but everything else I've tried has been good (mmm, tamale pie). Not all products are vegan, but it will say "vegan" before the ingredient listing.
    Eden Organic - Love the company, excellent quinoa chili. Only non-vegan items are the bonito fish flakes and their probiotic supplement.
    Pacific Foods - Yummy quality soups and soymilk, not all products are vegan
    I use nutritional yeast almost daily - adds a cheesy taste, love it or hate it;
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods is by far my favorite place to shop for food in general… plus, my boyfriend works there so his discount actually allows us to do our regular shopping there, haha.

I second the post about Oh She Glows, Angela's recipes are great. Also as far as online resources, the Post Punk Kitchen blog is wonderful and Isa Chandra's cookbooks are perfection. I actually did my entire week's worth of meal planning out of her newest cookbook yesterday. My diary is open as well so feel free to check it out (although I have just started logging) and let me know any questions!