Marinade calories

Options
I'm wondering what people do regarding marinades and what to put for calories. For example, I made a marinade with spices, 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 cup olive oil. I marinaded three pieces of chicken then grilled the chicken and ate one piece. There was some marinade left in the bag so not all on the chicken. So, should I just over-estimate and assume the piece of chicken got a third of the 1/4c of oil?

Replies

• Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't count marinades.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Coinicidentally enough I was thinking the same thing this morning when I put a Kraft Honey Mustard Chipotle marinade over three chicken breasts to marinate for dinner for the three of us....I mean, most of the marinate ends up being thrown out in the end and I cannot be sure how much actually absorbs..does that make sense? So in the end feeling guilty and trying to be a good "logger of foods" I logged one tablespoon..which i don't know is enough or not..I dont plan on spooning any extra over it or anything...ooohhh the joys of logging correctly!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Goes on the food you eat, so you count it.
  • mlwalke
    mlwalke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Could you put the ingredients into the recipe feature here on MFP?
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get super super specific, you can weigh it before and after and count only what made it onto the food. So, let's say you put together a marinade (calculated in total in the recipe builder) that weighs 160 grams and put that over 3 chicken breasts. You take the breasts out to cook them and weigh what's left and find there's 100 grams leftover, so you know that 60 grams made it onto your chicken. Per breast, that's 20 grams of marinade, or 0.125 of the total recipe you calculated. It takes some math, but it should get you very close.

But, personally, that's too much work for me, and I usually just eyeball it :laugh: .
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You could weigh the marinade before adding the chicken (or whatever), and then weigh it again after you remove the food, and count the difference as what is on the food and presumably getting eaten. (If it's a homemade marinade, first create a recipe in the recipe calculator.)

The point is to make logging so time consuming that you'd rather not eat because you don't want to deal with logging.:laugh:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't count marinades.
    Me either. Most of the oil that was on your chicken probably dripped into your grill.