Do you celebrate Saint Nicholas Day?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Apparently, I've been suckered into this "holiday" since I live in the land of Germans... And my child is very excited to leave his shoes out this year more than ever before.

When I was a kid, we'd get candy, fruit and nuts (in the shell, naturally) in our shoes. However, per the kid's at school, St. Nick is leaving Skylanders, art supplies, movies, and... not fruit and nuts in shoes now.

WTH? Do you observe this whole thing? And how?

Replies

• InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Fill the shoes with bacon.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i get coal... lots of coal.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Good god...I got a freaking candy cane and that was it!
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    No. Around these parts we celebrate St. Richards Day. It comes a few times a month, and instead of putting nuts in your shoes we put them in your pants.

'Tis a festive occasion indeed.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Fill the shoes with bacon.

Finn-head-nod.gif?t=1346829306
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I used to do that as a kid, German heritage thing and my parents hated it and would just put some of those gold foil chocolate coins in it... Stopped doing if after a few years. :tongue:
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    what?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    what?

*sigh* Really? Never even heard of it??? How do you get so lucky??
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    crap, is that tonight? I'd never heard of it until my kids were in school, and each year I get caught off guard by it.

We just do candy as well. It's not a gift holiday.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    what?

No idea what you're talking about.

It does, however, remind me of Three Kings Day (Little Christmas) in January when the three kings finally made it to visit the baby Jesus and brought their presents (Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh). As a child my mother told us that she and her siblings used to leave some hay or grass in a shoe box with some water at the foot of their beds (or somewhere else in the house, by the tree maybe?) for their camels and the kings would each leave a small gift for each child as well.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    crap, is that tonight? I'd never heard of it until my kids were in school, and each year I get caught off guard by it.

No! Night of the 5th, wake up on the 6th with shoes full :)
  • odusgolp
    Options
    what?

It does, however, remind me of Three Kings Day (Little Christmas) in January when the three kings finally made it to visit the baby Jesus and brought their presents (Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh). As a child my mother told us that she and her siblings used to leave some hay or grass in a shoe box with some water at the foot of their beds (or somewhere else in the house, by the tree maybe?) for their camels and the kings would each leave a small gift for each child as well.

Wow *LOL* And THAT I've never heard of... well, the shoe box full of farm waste, not the bible story :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Awesome! Kids are with their mother that night, so I don't have to deal with this crap.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    We usually got a Christmas ornament or figurine, chocolates and candy canes. One thing my mom did that I want to do with my kids is write letters. She would write it as if it was from St. Nicholas praising us for what we did well that year and then giving us something to work on for the next year. She would roll it up and tie it with a ribbon. It was actually cool because then if we did well on what ever "St. Nick" said she would mention it in the next letter. We would all sit together the next morning and read them out loud together.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Awesome! Kids are with their mother that night, so I don't have to deal with this crap.

Right?? *LOL* He's usually with his father, so I haven't had to do this in awhile!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    We usually got a Christmas ornament or figurine, chocolates and candy canes. One thing my mom did that I want to do with my kids is write letters. She would write it as if it was from St. Nicholas praising us for what we did well that year and then giving us something to work on for the next year. She would roll it up and tie it with a ribbon. It was actually cool because then if we did well on what ever "St. Nick" said she would mention it in the next letter. We would all sit together the next morning and read them out loud together.

Where was this information 5 years ago!!! :) Love it.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am so lost :ohwell:
    where do you live now and where did you live before this??
    Are we talking about Christmas or something else?
    And where do shoes come in? Stockings??? Shoes? What!? *head explodes*
    :tongue:
  • odusgolp
    Options
    LOL No, this is not Christmas :) This is a separate day, celebrated the night of the 5th/morning of the 6th of December. I am in the Milwaukee area...

Here's the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas_Day

Essentially the US:

While feasts of Saint Nicholas are not observed nationally, cities with strong German influences like Milwaukee, Cincinnati and St. Louis celebrate St. Nick's Day on a scale similar to the German custom.[5] As in other countries, many people in the United States celebrate a separate St Nicholas Day by putting their shoes outside their bedroom doors or hanging an empty stocking by the fireplace on the evening of 5 December. St Nicholas then comes during the night. On the morning of 6 December, those people will find their shoes/stockings filled with gifts and sugary treats. Widespread adoption of the tradition has spread among the German, Polish, Belgian and Dutch communities throughout the United States. Americans who celebrate Saint Nicholas Day generally also celebrate Christmas Day (December 25) as a separate holiday. Some of the traditions and rituals of Christmas, such as leaving out a shoe or stocking to be filled, are similar to the traditions of Saint Nicholas Day.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    what?

Wow *LOL* And THAT I've never heard of... well, the shoe box full of farm waste, not the bible story :)

It's similar to leaving milk and cookies for the fat man in the red suit but for the animals who carried the Wise Men instead. I've never done it myself but in Latin America and many hispanic communities they still do it. It's a bigger holdiay than Christmas itself. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the 12 days of Christmas actually start on the 25th of December and end on the 6th of January when the Wise Men arrive. IDK, I don't do these things, I just have the useless information stuck in my head.

Either way...Merry flipping Christmas! :laugh:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    We did when we were stationed in Germany and then continued it in the UK. Mostly just chocolates and the like. If they do that, they have to do the angry Santa threatening the kids too!