Why are Trainer's soooooo expensive?!?

Options
I want a trainer.... I wish I was disciplined enough to get my physical activity in daily even weekly, but I'm not. (Hey don't judge, I'm rocking with my diet) However... I wish trainer's were willing to cut back a bit with their pricing.

Any suggestions my workout pals?!?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    A lot of trainers are expensive because they do not keep the money that is charged. The club gets most of the money while the trainer only gets a small portion.

You could try to find a trainer that is not associated with a specific club or gym, and they are normally cheaper.

Or, you could find a buddy there and help each other out. There are websites out there that show proper form of different exercises, and lots of "gym rats" who are not trainers could help you decide which exercises to do.
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Workout pals is exactly it! Find a buddy (or seven) to go to the gym with you, use each other as spotters and to keep the excuses at bay. I love that almost every day at least a few people ask me if I'm going to the gym now. Keeps me honest.

Also it looks like you want to do a triathlon. Awesome. Sign up with one of the training groups and get on a regular training schedule. If it's one of the charity groups it's like having your friends and family pay for the training for you :happy:

I know that signing up for a half marathon and printing off a training schedule was one of the best things I did for myself, and the other was establishing workout buddies.
    Good luck!
  • ssanchez41010
    ssanchez41010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Couple of tips/options.
    I know for my city, if I were to go on craigslist and look under "community" there's a links titled "groups", "classes", and "activities" I can click on of those or look into each and find community/neighborhood groups that are WAY cheaper and there small groups that do different things. I know there's things like "dancing the fat away", boot camp styles where it's like a group of 20 people that meet twice or more a week, adventure groups that entitle hiking, swimming, rock climbing, ect. Plus many more. Like I said that's here in my city, but it wouldn't hurt to check out things like that in your area. Also if your a military dependent, the local base have a free gym that you can utilize and have weekly classes that are offered to you, free of charge. Such as Zumba, Russian Kettle Bell classes, Insanity, and much more. Hope this helped :D
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    also some of the group classes at a gym can be almost as good (or a yoga studio) so you can join those. or there are "road runner" clubs in many cities that have different pace groups you can run with for whatever distance you want usually meeting a few times a week.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer I found on Kijiji for $25 hes up to $30 an hour but considering he worked his day around your 1 hour , gas and equipment and everything. I think thats reasonable.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    maybe you could find a trainer that you could "share"-- where she meets with a few of you at the same time and you share the price--
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer I found on Kijiji for $25 hes up to $30 an hour but considering he worked his day around your 1 hour , gas and equipment and everything. I think thats reasonable.

I think that is more than reasonable. You have to consider taxes too.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Another thing to check would be the local community college. The one by me always has some sort of class or group meeting for exercise purposes. Most of the time there are students studying physical fitness or nutrition in attendance. Check with the school and see if they have need of a "guinny pig" for a student.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Google. Yep- Google. When I injured my back last time, I started researching back exercises, and by combining advice and recommended exercises from about 10 sites, I was able to build a solid work out routine for my back, as well as a few mini-workouts. I typed the exercises onto business cards, and when I get bored with my routine, I shuffle up the cards to keep it interesting.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the problem is, and I'm a trainer, so I know, that when the economy suffers, one of the first things people do is cut out the non-essential stuff. Most people consider personal trainers non-essential. That means that the clients that trainers do get have to be charged a bit more. There's no help for it unfortunately. On the up side, as a client, if you shop around a bit, you should be able to find trainers that are hurting for clients and get them relatively cheap.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    @ivyjbres

I just had to say your progress bar in your signature made me literally laugh out loud for a second. Brilliant. I'm not sure an equivalent picture of guys underwear would have the same effect though! :D
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes, having a personal trainer is an expense, but you have to look at the value you're getting for your money. If you find the right trainer, someone who cheers you on, and can help you with your goals, all the while making sure your form is correct and you are not injuring yourself, I think you might think it's worth the expense.

Here's what having a trainer does for me. I have an appointment at the gym twice a week that makes me get there, because someone is waiting for me to be there. The fact that the trainer is as excited about my progress as I am also makes me want to get to the gym. Before working with a trainer, I had tried for years to get fit, and was stuck. Now I have much better understanding of what works for me.

Even if you cannot afford a trainer long term, try seeing if you can afford one for 8 - 10 sessions. This should get you started on making working out a habit, and a good trainer will develop a series of exercises for you to do on your own.

It's all in what you find valuable. Your health is something that should never be taken for granted.