Cholesterol: Should I eat the whole egg or just the whites?

d_Mode
d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
I've noticed when I eat an egg or two, I'm always over on my cholesterol for the day. Does it really matter?
My cholesterol is good, last check-up back in OCT, I was at 125.

Just curious...thoughts anyone?

Replies

• You're fine so long as your blood cholesterol levels remain low.

The nutrition community has found that eating high amounts of cholesterol-laden foods MAY have an impact on blood cholesterol levels in some individuals. However, most of the population experiences no change in blood cholesterol due to diet.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Whole egg I say
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    As long as your levels are good, then eat the yolk for sure, it's the best part!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    The whole egg is delicious! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Eat the whole thing! Starving kids in (insert country here) would love to have those yolks!
  • d_Mode
    Many thanks to all of you!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Have the whole egg. They are now discovering that having egg yolks actually help with your good cholesterol. If you make scrambled eggs, try one whole egg and then some egg whites mixed in. I do that, and its super yummy :) minus the guilt.
  • Have the whole egg. They are now discovering that having egg yolks actually help with your good cholesterol. If you make scrambled eggs, try one whole egg and then some egg whites mixed in. I do that, and its super yummy :) minus the guilt.

yes, the egg yolk has gotten a bad name for no good reason. the yolk is where nearly all the protein is as well as vitamins and minerals. go for the whole egg!
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    The yolk's the yummy part! Eat it all, they're very nutritious.
  • d_Mode
    Have the whole egg. They are now discovering that having egg yolks actually help with your good cholesterol. If you make scrambled eggs, try one whole egg and then some egg whites mixed in. I do that, and its super yummy :) minus the guilt.

I do eat the eggs and the yolk, I just get freaked out because of the cholesterol macro in my diary. I may just take it off, I hate seeing it red. Plus, my cholesterol is good.

I was at 975 back in October 2010. October 2013, I'm at 121 and no longer taking any meds.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member

I do eat the eggs and the yolk, I just get freaked out because of the cholesterol macro in my diary. I may just take it off, I hate seeing it red. Plus, my cholesterol is good.

I was at 975 back in October 2010. October 2013, I'm at 121 and no longer taking any meds.

The cholesterol you get from your diet will likely end up having very little or nothing to do with your serum cholesterol. Don't worry about dietary cholesterol. I say eat the whole egg.
  • d_Mode
    Thank you BigTallJay
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    YES!

The yolk is the healthy part: it's where all the proteins and vitamins are. There is some protein in the whites but it's actually about 90% water.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/egg-nutrients/nutrient-chart

For some extra protein the white is fine... but for complete nutrition nothing beats the whole thing =)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    You're fine so long as your blood cholesterol levels remain low.

The nutrition community has found that eating high amounts of cholesterol-laden foods MAY have an impact on blood cholesterol levels in some individuals. However, most of the population experiences no change in blood cholesterol due to diet.

This ^^ For most people, it's fine. For a few unlucky folks, it's not fine. As long as you are having your cholesterol checked regularly, you will know if it's a problem for you.
  • bcattoes

975?? Wow, that is quite an impressive change. My hat is off to you, sir.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    If youre concerned take out the yolk from now until your new blood work and see if it has any effect. More than likely not, I'm very curious you are able to check your cholesterol after eating eggs how are you able to do that? Are there home testing kits now?

oops see you meant you diary
  • bcattoes
    If youre concerned take out the yolk from now until your new blood work and see if it has any effect. More than likely not, I'm very curious you are able to check your cholesterol after eating eggs how are you able to do that? Are there home testing kits now?

There are. But you wouldn't eat an egg and immediately test like you might with a glocose monitor.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    1. Eat the whole egg.

2. Start researching about cholesterol. What most people think is a load of over-simplified bs. Even though the myths of cholesterol have been thoroughly busted, the belief that cholesterol is "bad" just seems to persist against all odds. One of the reasons for this is the proliferation of processed foods on the market that have no cholesterol/saturated fat so they are labelled "heart healthy" when nothing could be further from the truth.

3. If you want to test cholesterol get informed on exactly what kinds of tests to ask for. There are many kinds of cholesterol and total cholesterol is meaningless as a measure of health. LDL and HDL numbers alone also do not show the whole picture.

4. Stop tracking cholesterol. There are more important things to track. If most of your cholesterol is coming from eggs and animals (pref. grass fed or wild), it's actually HEALTHY. I refuse to let MFP tell me that I am doing wrong when I am actually doing right. My health is all the proof that I need.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member

Total cholesterol of 121 is like toddler and children's numbers.