Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help I'm deflating!

Having lost some weight now, I am happy to see the difference in the mirror. However I notice one thing that bothers me.. I look like someone who has lost weight! What I mean is it is obvious that I have been bigger rather then looking like someone who has been this weight all along. Almost like a balloon with a little air let out. Someone had even told me, "I can tell by your arms you have lost weight." Of course she didn't mean anything by it, but it wasn't a compliment. I need to get tone rather than looking like someone deflated.

So what do I do? Has anyone had this problem? My main areas I would say are my arms but all over I have this general appearance. Toning might help but I don't think that will really improve extra skin. I have heard of creams to use also but I am doubtful they make much difference. I know this is generally something I will have to live with, but if there are subtle ways (not surgery) to improve it, please share!

Thanks!

Replies

• Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    you have to grab some small weight and work out your arms....arms are easy you can even use a gallon of milk if you don't have weights.
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Great job, this is a good problem to have! :)
    This is definitely a frustrating side-effect of weight loss. Toning will do more to help than you might expect. Keeping well-hydrated will also help your skin's elasticity. And keep up the good work!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Are you sure she meant what you think she meant by that comment? Maybe she just meant she could tell your arms were smaller, not that they looked deflated. When I started losing weight, one of my best friends said something like "I can realy see it in your chest" and I thought that meant my boobs were noticibly smaller already and it kind of bummed me out. But come to find out, she just meant that she could really see it in my upper torso - my actual chest (decollate) and shoulder area, not specifically my boobs.

Just wanted to give you some perspective on that...

As far as the loose skin, there are things you can do. Losing slowly allows your body to adjust as you drop the excess fat. Making sure you're well hydrated all the time and keep healthy fats in your diet. Exercising can help as it keeps blood flowing nicely all over and retaining or building muscle mass will help keep those flappy areas firmer looking. Exfoliating may also help. And genetics, like with most other things, will play a factor. Age also plays a factor but you're fairly young still so hopefully that will help.

My personal experience is that it's not as bad as it seems. My stomach and upper arms are loose but I also still have some fat to lose and from some things I've read, once that is gone, my skin is likely to tighten up some more. However, I never expect to be firm like a teenager again. I was obese for about 18 years and I didn't start to seriously lose weight and exercise regularly until my late 30's so my skin was stretched out for quite a long time. It's not likely to go all the way back but I'm hoping for some more improvement by the time I reach goal.

Keep your focus on a healthy diet, drinking lots of water and exercising regularly and I'm sure you'll get through just fine.
  • Is it loose skin or is it a lack of muscle? If it is in fact loose skin, there's not too much you can about that. Although lifting weights will build muscle filling out the loose skin. However, if it's a lack of muscle, pick up some dumb bells.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Exercise and time will help. Even at my advanced age, I managed to get rid of my batwings by lifting regularly. It wasn't easy or fast, but it was worth it.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    MY LBM is 167 pounds - I have A LOT OF MUSCLE. But I also have a lot of loose skin that is not going back, it wiggles and jiggles and takes up space and my doctor and trainer have both said that only surgery will fix it. I however am older than you - so yours has a better chance to go back to some degree. however, it will not go all the way back.
    I saw a woman last summer when I had only lost 30 pounds and I could tell that even though she was thin now she had been much bigger - maybe 100 pounds more at some point and probably had surgery to fix it since her skin hung low.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    My belly definitely has that balloon-losing-helium look. But hey, at least there's less! And skin supposedly shrinks back a bit, so hopefully that helps. Weight liftibg to gain muscle also helps to fill in some of the skin. Women don't gain muscle easily, so it will have to be a concerted effort with a higher calorie goal. Look up the Eat Train Progress group on here, and read up before you get started.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Congrats on the loss!!!!!

I agree, lots of water, good food, and some lifting. Things will change over time. Not perfect, but it will get better.

My boss (who is large) likes to say "fat men don't have wrinkled faces".... that is true. Although he's not healthy. I'll take my wrinkles and some extra skin to be here longer for my kids.
  • Kerrizmah
    Kerrizmah Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. @ minnieinmaine, yes that is what she meant commenting on my arms. This was my first time meeting this person so she hadn't seen my arms earlier. She did relate me to a friend of hers who had lost weight and had extra skin on her arms.

I guess it is both extra skin and lack of muscle. I don't lift, I know I should try that. Big arms run in my family, my mom lost a lot of weight also and has stretched upper arms. She uses a cream to help with it. While I am younger than her, she was never quite as big as me. So I know I will likely always have it a bit, but if I can find ways to improve it I will try.

Water is a good tip too. Thanks!