Open diary suggestions please

Options
Hi everyone, Iv made my Diary public to get some help, ideas and suggestions..

I'm trying to eat healthy - I'm British, and I make meals for myself, my son and OH every evening..

I'd like some ideas on meals to make..

What I really wish I could do is eat my main meal at lunch and a light meal for Dinner but it's not possible..

I'm trying to get good nutrition and stay at / within 1200 cals.

Does it matter if sometimes I'm over and sometimes under ?

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest adding some protein to your breakfast (cut back to two Weetabix and add an egg, some bacon or ham, etc.), switching your fish choices to oil-free versions (water-packed tinned fish or baked filets), and making sure you're weighing your food rather than using averages like "one potato" or "half a cup." I'm really impressed by your veg and fruit consumption, though! You're very balanced; it's good to see.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Agree about weighing everything. I cook from scratch too mainly and am in UK.my diary is open if you want to look. Think of your cals as a weekly average and you should be ok.oh and stick to the fish in oil it is healthier
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    First suggestion.. Eat more than 1200 calories.. 2nd.. if your only going to do 1200 calories.. Don't Drink 200+ of those calories.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking so many calories. Learn to like black coffee. It's hard enough to stick to a 1200-1400 calorie diet, and you're just making it harder on yourself when you use up 100-400 of those on beverages.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be over and under on some days as long as it evens out over time.

I love the hairy dieters cook books for lo calories healthy meals that the whole family enjoy.

I'd echo the suggestion to swap the wetabix for eggs, maybe start with one or 2 days a week.

The sugars in your drinks are what jumps out the most- could you try reducing this, or having half a spoon?
  • mazamarie
    Options
    Iv been logging my cuppas with 1tsp sugar because I just didn't get round to logging what I actually use, which is half a teaspoon sugar and a sweetener

But I do agree there I should now replace my daytime drinks with water..

It's hard to get the balance right, and please everybody at Dinner/Tea time isn't it.

The hairy dieters (bikers) book sounds good.. I'll look out for it - those two dropped some real weight didn't they..
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes the hairy dieters is good, even my fussy 14 year old loves the recipes, especially the chilli bowls and lunch pasta salad
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    MFP is a wonderful tool for learning how to monitor and control eating patterns. But realistically, most of us are not going to maintain our usage of the site for the rest of our lives--and I think that's okay! Our bodies were designed to get more calories one day than the next, and to experience caloric fluctuations. I call it totally good to go over on some days with the knowledge that I would be under on another day. With your caloric limit, I would not, however, go under very often at all. Sidebar: I have found it very helpful to change my weight loss goal to 1/2 lb a week instead of a full lb. More calories on a daily basis means less crazy binging when I lose my mind to hunger! Anyway...

I usually find it easy to control the calories in my breakfast, so I make sure to get some protein and I don't eat very much. Many days I eat 6 ounces of plain nonfat Chobani and add a tbsp of Nutella for my chocolate fix :) That's me and it works. Lunch is hit or miss, but I do well when I do a lower calorie protein bar, almonds, a fruit or two, reduced fat cheese stick and maybe some pretzels or something. Mentally it helps me to have a lot of little things to snack on instead of eating lunch and knowing I can't have anything else after that. For dinner, it's obviously dependent on how well I've adhered to my calorie goal so far in the day. If I'm low on calories, many times I will just do a sweet potato with some Smart Balance and garlic, or some coconut oil and nutmeg and cinnamon if I'm feeling something sweeter. Frozen broccoli florets are also a lifesaver. Filling, cheap and delicious! Also very easy to sautee in a pan with some spices.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well done, you're over half way to your goal, so clearly have some idea what to do.

I agree with previous posters, a bit more protein, particularly early in the day. Someone suggested left overs to me for breakfast. This has been a life saver for me - left over chilli for lunch or breakfast. I aim to get protein + veg in for breakfast and lunch - though not always successful. I'm aiming to make up some small 'crustless quiches' I'm thinking leek and smoked salmon - they should work for my breakfasts. If I have them made up in advance, doesn't matter how busy I am I can just grab once of these.

Please feel free to look at my diary, but I've had a rough couple of months so I'm only getting started at logging again and not quite back on form.

Like others said, give up the sugar in coffee - I couldn't give up my coffee. DH just gave up sugar in coffee, he went cold turkey, but maybe you could start by cutting back to half a tea spoon. He found drinking tea with out sugar easier at first, but eventually gave it up in his coffee too.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I probably can't help you because I eat well over 1200 and I eat lots of nutrient dense food. But if you'd like to look at my diary feel free. I'm focused primarily on health but as you can see by my ticker weight loss has been a very nice side effect and it's been effortless. I've also resolved a long list of health problems and all I changed was what I eat.
  • rachelamber_x
    rachelamber_x Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has some really good recipes. The soups are amazing!
  • mazamarie
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, funny how I open my diary then have a crazy food day today, I had a pot noodle (UK people will know that's junk) and a big cookie, like what was I thinking..

I will go look at skinny taste and I will get some recipe ideas from the Hairy Bikers/Dieters book too..

I think I got in a rut and Iv still been using sauces from jars and packets to make dinners..

I could get a new jolt by making meals from scratch with all fresh ingredients.. I did slimming world a couple of years back - there were some great recipes and I can look at doing some of those again..

Thanks for giving me insight and inspiration..